FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Marcawesome

Casual vs. Ranked

2 hours ago, Marcawesome said:

Anybody else having a problem playing against ranked decks when you're trying something silly?

Maybe they should come out with a format that bans certain cards, idk.

Lots of people use casual to complete there quests or to play a new (net) deck they just crafted to get a feel for it before jumping into ranked.  You generally see less competitive decks in casual, but not by much, lots of tier 2 and 3 decks, some using sub optimal substitutions.  It's unfortunate, but kind of the nature of the beast.  Might change if they make dailies completable in ranked only, but that comes with its own set of problems.

• Like 1

Ranked is playing the same over and over again.

Casual is bashing a much weaker player or getting bashed by a stronger one

Both is somehow pointless right now.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, VaraTreledees said:

Lots of people use casual to complete there quests or to play a new (net) deck they just crafted to get a feel for it before jumping into ranked.  You generally see less competitive decks in casual, but not by much, lots of tier 2 and 3 decks, some using sub optimal substitutions.  It's unfortunate, but kind of the nature of the beast.  Might change if they make dailies completable in ranked only, but that comes with its own set of problems.

I think the only way to avoid it is by having a third play option that bans certain cards from play, forcing players to use other more casual cards, like "Explore Un'Goro" (My favorite). 

I think the problems is that the expectations players have on this game are pretty low: Grind desired rank, stomp other players.

Someone said, I think it was Disguised Toast, "You are not supposed to have fun playing Hearthstone". this might not be entirely true but pretty close sometimes.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Marcawesome said:

I think the only way to avoid it is by having a third play option that bans certain cards from play, forcing players to use other more casual cards, like "Explore Un'Goro" (My favorite). 

Problem with that is what do you ban?  When warrior is overbearing, do you remove some of the removal options that your explore ungoro deck uses?  I used to play a control style razakus priest deck, was pretty meh, but it used Raza/anduin.  It certainly would not be playable in a mode like that, the pre Nerf version anyway, even though it was just Highlander control priest.  Who gets to dictate what is a fun deck, what is a fun card and what cards are too toxic?  Lots of people like really uncompetitive otk decks, like toggwaggle, explore ungoro and geist.  Is that fun for your opponent?  No, not if it works.  So should we ban explore ungoro from the format to stop this?  It is one of those ideas that seem fun in theory, but ultimately would never really work.  What is fun is different for each person, and trying to dictate that is nigh impossible.

Edit: not to mention you would probably end up with a meta in that mode, where people play the best decks, and push the silly ones out again.  VS would have a data report on it or what ever, and then there would be meta decks for the casual mode, because do you know what people like more than fun?  Winning.

Edited by VaraTreledees
  • Like 2