FORUMS
xmlviking

How is this site still so unstable with all this add revenue?

I have never ...I mean never used a site so incredibly unstable in my life.  Having said that I'm speaking about a very large commercial website. How is this beast so unstable and poorly designed?  I mean if you use a simple F12 trick...look at the how much your downloading to your browser when this site runs.  It's insane.  massive leaks and java script errors galore.  I'm just simply blown away how 2003 this website feels.  If I have this site open it crashes or crashes chrome entirely if open more then and hour. 

Well, if I am not totally mistaken this is not a commercial website.
It doesn't belong to a company or anything like this. It is a site about games from a big company.
That's not the same.

And concerning stable / not stable: Personally I visit this site frequently and I can't remember that it has crashed. (Mozilla Firefox).
And I have very often several Tabs opened, up to 5-10 most of the time. 1-3 from this website, and quite a lot from others. And that for hours - while I am browsing on other sites, being afk or just playing games.
During these hours I sometimes refresh threads, click on new ones. Then going back to the game for an hour or more. Getting back to the website...

I don't use Chrome, maybe there are problems with Chrome. But I don't have any problems with the site myself.

On 3/4/2018 at 1:27 AM, xmlviking said:

Having said that I'm speaking about a very large commercial website.

I'm not sure that's quite true. Please read this section from our Premium FAQ:

• Independence. Icy Veins is entirely independent and still owned and operated by the very same people who started it in 2011 (Vlad and I). This is pretty rare these days, as most of the other large websites in our ecosystem are not, and are instead owned by large international companies. 

As it says, the site is still owned by two individuals that started it.

On 3/4/2018 at 1:27 AM, xmlviking said:

I mean if you use a simple F12 trick...look at the how much your downloading to your browser when this site runs.  It's insane.  massive leaks and java script errors galore.  I'm just simply blown away how 2003 this website feels.  If I have this site open it crashes or crashes chrome entirely if open more then and hour. 

If you can give more information on this, I can ask Damien to take a look, but as of right now, you aren't giving any information at all about what happens. I use this website every day, with more than 10 tabs open normally to work with. Currently, I have 16 open with 5% CPU, 22% Memory and 7% Disk Usage. I haven't had anything crash in a long time. 

It's likely that there is an underlying issue causing this, one which we can work to fix with more information.

What exactly are you doing when it crashes? Which pages? Forums or main guide site? Are you logged in or not? Are you using an AdBlocker or not? What operating system are you using? I see you say you use Chrome, is it only the case there? 

All of this information will help greatly.

Every site that runs ads is commercial and we're no exception. I'd dispute the fact that we're very large :)

Anyway, I used a proxy in Texas to browse the site as if I were in Texas to see what is going on (since your profile says it's where you browse from). After 10 minutes, here is a snapshot of the task manager in Chrome.

ad.jpg 

In terms of actual data downloaded, we average 3.0 MB across all tabs. Only the BBC does better with 2.0 MB (but their ads didn't show for some reason, which also affects their memory footprint). Then comes the Washington Post (3.3 MB), the New York Times (6.5 MB), MMO-Champion (6.9 MB), and finally Wowhead (20.0 MB).

I don't know what would cause the site to be so unstable for you, but our approach to ads and CPU/memory footprint is definitely on par (or better) than sites that you most likely have also used but have not found as "unstable" as ours. Investigating more would require you posting actual data from your Chrome task manager and network tab in the inspector. This is not the first time you complain about this, but offered no additional information the previous time, even though you said you would.

Note that we only had 4 notices from users about desktop ads in the past 4 months (including the 2 from you).

• Like 1