FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Taarian12

Multiple set bonuses?

Hey all,

I have a question regarding class sets and bonuses. I am currently playing in my first full season. While I have been doing research on class builds, I am confused regarding bonuses of class sets interacting with other sets. I was running the firebird set, but transitioned to Tal and bird. I have 4 Tal pieces, 2 Bird pieces, Grandeur ring in cube slot. This gives me full Tal bonuses, and the first Bird bonus (revive with meteor). I am currently Paragon 500 and comfortably in T12 solo.

According to most of the available info, it has been said that I should not be able do this, yet my active bonuses on my character are clearly highlighted as active. According the the Veins build, I could also incorporate the Endless Walk set. I tried that set and it did very little for me. I would like to try LoN for the additional legendary bonuses. Will this work with my current setup? I know there are specific builds already out there, but I could not get them to perform. While I am not new to the Diablo universe, I am new to this style of play. 

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide. 

Multiple set bonuses stacks just fine, the only limiting factor is how many pieces you can equip at the same time.

Severeal builds use 3 pieces of one set, and 5 pieces of another set combined with Ring of Royal Grandeour for their 4 and 6-piece bonuses

Edit: LoN is an exception, as it's bonus only apply when you have no other set bonus active.

Endles Walk is pretty interesting, because when you move it gives you 50% damage reduction, or twice the effective hp. When you stand still this bonus gradually changes over to 100% increased damage. Endless walk may not be very noticeable, but is a very strong set. Most if not all damage-builds that can use it are using it. The only exceptions are builds that require a specific jewelry piece, builds that can utilize Focurs and Restraint for even more damage and have enough thoughness otherwise and builds that deal their damage while moving

Edited by Fairlight
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/9/2018 at 12:50 PM, Taarian12 said:

I have 4 Tal pieces, 2 Bird pieces, Grandeur ring in cube slot. This gives me full Tal bonuses, and the first Bird bonus (revive with meteor).

2 pieces of Firebird will give you the 2-piece set bonus. with RoRG it's the same as having 3 pieces, but that won't get you the next set bonus for Firebird.

4 Pieces of Tals + RoRG is the same as 5 pieces of Tals. it won't give you the 6 piece set bonus. If you have the 6 piece bonus, you've probably miscounted -- check the necklace and offhand slots, maybe? Tal's is actually a 7 piece set, like many of the others, there's just no extra bonus for having the 7th piece as well.

LoN ring set would be counterproductive. As it states, "As long as this is your only set bonus..." Basically, it's meant to be used with the 2 set rings, and otherwise a full set of Ancient Legendary items. Wearing any other set gear cancels this bonus, so as you can imagine, builds focusing on LoN are somewhat rare and specialized. They can be quite effective, however, if you have a collection of good Ancient pieces that synergize well.

As Fairlight stated, the bonuses for using the Endless Walk set are subtle but noticeable. There are people out there who really enjoy doing the math over these things, which is basically what establishes the long term gear trends. If they had determined that there was a greater bonus to using other items for jewelry, those other items would be the trend instead.

that said, the math can only account for specific predetermined situations. it doesn't account for how well something else rolls, or how badly your Endless Walk items roll. 

Also remember that not -every- mod/bonus is reflected in the numbers on your stats/inventory page. "Damage", "Toughness", and "Recovery" are all approximations, and also only reflect your -current- state. They constantly shift during play as you gain/lose bonuses and effects.

The best solution to see what fits -you- is just try it out for a while. play your "normal" gear for say.. a few rifts, to see how it feels. swap out a couple of pieces and play a few more rifts at the same difficulty. compare overall times as well as just the "feel" of it from pack to pack. Eventually, unless you want to play a cookie-cutter build, it's up to you to decide what you want to use, and that simply requires trying it out to see what you like.

Just as an aside; i'm not judging for or against cookie-cutter builds, and this site provides some really excellent builds to learn, copy, and/or adapt to your own use. I'm just saying it's up to everyone to decide what their own measure of fun is when enjoying a game.

• Sad 1

Thank you for your replies. I did swap everything out for LoN, and quickly changed back. You were right on my missing a piece in my OP. I have the full Tal bonuses, and the first Firebird bonus ( which is awesome when I make a mistake in gr's).

I also agree with the cookie cutter description. It is obvious that a great deal of time and effort has gone into these tutorials, but I have resisted playing someone else's build. But I will tell you, stubborness is painful (to my character). 

I keep hitting "walls" where it seems I can no longer progress. I keep grinding, then something changes i.e. new or improved weapon and BAM! Progressing again. 

I may not have a great build, but at least I am enjoying the hell out of this game. Thank you guys for your advice and insight. It is motivating that there are good people out there who enjoy helping. Makes dealing with the trolls in life easier. 

• Like 1

On 2018-03-18 at 10:53 PM, Taarian12 said:

I may not have a great build, but at least I am enjoying the hell out of this game.

No one can ever ask for more than enjoying the time they spend in a game :)

• Like 1

New question, does the damage type on  Deathwish matter i.e. Poison, cold, etc. I found one post on another forum that said your build will automatically transition your DW damage to your builds needs. Is this true? A buddy I play with believed that the DW damage type must match the build damage type.

I am trying out the Tal-Manald build and my Ancient DW is poison. I already rolled another stat, so if I do need straight damage, I have to wait to find one, gamble, or make one. Ugh. 

My previous build high was GR68. With the Tal/Manald I finished GR70 first try. I then tried GR 75 and was thoroughly destroyed. I am struggling to keep everything active. At times, everything drops in the middle of a fight. There are other pieces I am fine tuning, but the DW is a huge part of this. 

Thanks again!

On 3/21/2018 at 10:35 PM, Taarian12 said:

New question, does the damage type on  Deathwish matter i.e. Poison, cold, etc. I found one post on another forum that said your build will automatically transition your DW damage to your builds needs. Is this true? A buddy I play with believed that the DW damage type must match the build damage type.

I am trying out the Tal-Manald build and my Ancient DW is poison. I already rolled another stat, so if I do need straight damage, I have to wait to find one, gamble, or make one. Ugh. 

My previous build high was GR68. With the Tal/Manald I finished GR70 first try. I then tried GR 75 and was thoroughly destroyed. I am struggling to keep everything active. At times, everything drops in the middle of a fight. There are other pieces I am fine tuning, but the DW is a huge part of this. 

Thanks again!

The damage "type" on weapons, e.g. 100-200 poison damage, is not relevant at this progression of the game design. When D3 first released there were interactions between weapon damage type and various effects, but it is now an artifact of a bygone era and nothing more than flavor.