FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
rosh

Sin rogue - what to do at 3 combo points?

I feel like I have a good feel for the rotation, though I've found myself, at times, unsure of what to cast at three combo points.  Consider garrote, toxic blade and kingsbane are all on CD. is it worth casting mutilate and potentially overcapping combo points? If rupture has <7.2 seconds, I'd go for the refresh, but otherwise, mutilate?

At 3 combo points and assuming what you said is on cd, the best thing to do is mutilate as you don't want to apply a 3 cp rupture. Therefore mutilate and apply rupture or mutilate and envenom. Envenom should always be used at 4+ cp and rupture at 5cp. As long as you don't mess up your rotation it should not be a problem maintaining this. Overcapping in this situation is indeed awkward and a slight waste but applying 3 cp rupture is more of a dps loss in the end.

On 15/03/2018 at 1:56 PM, rosh said:

I feel like I have a good feel for the rotation, though I've found myself, at times, unsure of what to cast at three combo points.  Consider garrote, toxic blade and kingsbane are all on CD. is it worth casting mutilate and potentially overcapping combo points? If rupture has <7.2 seconds, I'd go for the refresh, but otherwise, mutilate?

Do note that Rupture shouldn't be refreshed with 7.2 seconds left here, as the pandemic duration is counted from the length of the newly applied finisher.

As for what you should do, you have a few things to check before making a decision.

1. Are you capped, or about to cap, on Energy?
  2. Is Kingsbane active on the target? 
  3. Is Surge of Toxins active on the target? 
  4. Do you have Envenom running?
  5. Is the boss below your execute threshold (if you have Bracers)?

All these influence your decision. Basically, you always want to have SoT and Envenom active while Kb is running, no exceptions. 3CP Envenoms are worthwhile to maintain these. 

If the target is below 30% for your Bracers, 3CP Envenoms are good too. 

If none of those situations exist, pressing Mut and running the risk of overcapping CP is the lesser of all evils.

All of the above are technically correct (the best kind of correct!), but I'm of the mind that unless you're pushing crazy mythic progression or something along those lines, the worst thing that happens if you overcap once in awhile is that wowanalyzer yells at you.