FORUMS
Stan

Fenix's Abilities & Talents Overview

74O2btU.jpg

A breakdown of Fenix's talents and abilities.

Fenix will be released next week along with the StarCraft Anniversary celebration. With PTR online, it's time to look at his abilities and talents. The Hero will be added to our talent calculator soon!

Abilities

Trait

Shield Capacitor

• Fenix has a permanent 800 Shield which regenerates at 80 per second after not taking damage for 5 seconds.

Primary Abilities

Plasma Cutter [Q] (Cooldown: 12 seconds)

• Create a laser beam at the target point that circles around Fenix twice, dealing 150 damage to enemies hit and Slowing them by 25% for 4 seconds.

Weapon Modes [W]

• Activate to change between Weapon Mode: Repeater Cannon and Weapon Mode: Phase Bomb.
    • Weapon Mode: Repeater Cannon: Basic Attack speed increased by 150%.
    • Weapon Mode: Phase Bomb: Basic Attacks have 1.5 increased range, deal 25% more damage, and splash to nearby enemies.

Warp [E] (Cooldown: 15 seconds)

• Warp to a targeted location, phasing out after 0.5 seconds, and arriving 0.75 seconds later.

Talents

Level 1

• Advanced Targeting (! Q)
    • Quest: Hitting enemy Heroes with Plasma Cutter permanently increases Fenix's Basic Attack damage by 1, up to 80.
    • Reward: After hitting 30 Heroes, Plasma Cutter circles an additional time.
  • Arsenal Synergy (W)
    • After hitting enemy Heroes with Basic Attacks 3 times while Repeater Cannon is active, the next Basic Attack with Phase Bomb deals 100% more damage and splashes in a 50% larger area.
  • Mobile Offense (W)
    • After moving unmounted, Fenix's next Basic Attack deals 30% more damage to Heroes.

Level 4

• Target Acquired (W)
    • Basic Attacks against Slowed Heroes with Repeater Cannon active grants 10% Movement Speed for 4 seconds, up to 40%.
  • Inhibiting Energy (W)
    • While Phase Bomb is active, Basic Attacks against Heroes Slowed by Plasma Cutter Slow all enemies in the area by 35% for 4 seconds.
  • Warp Conduit (E)
    • Hero Takedowns reset Warp's cooldown.
  • Emergency Protocol (Trait)
    • When Shield Capacitor's Shield becomes depleted, gain 30% Movement Speed for 5 seconds.

Level 7

• Combat Advantage (Q)
    • Plasma Cutter deals 50% more damage to Slowed targets.
  • Warp Warfare (E)
    • After arriving with Warp, gain 125% Attack Speed for 4 seconds while in Repeater Cannon mode.
  • Divert Power: Weapons (Active, Cooldown: 20 seconds)
    • Activate to instantly drain Shield Capacitor's Shield, but increase Basic Attack damage by 80% of the Shield drained for 5 seconds.

Level 10 (Heroic Abilities)

• Purification Salvo (R1, Cooldown: 75 seconds)
    • Channel for 1.5 seconds, sweeping a laser in front of Fenix that locks onto enemy Heroes. Once Channeling finishes, fire 5 missiles at each locked Hero, dealing 86 damage each. Deals 50% increased damage to Slowed targets.
  • Planet Cracker (R2, Cooldown: 100 seconds)
    • After 0.5 seconds, Channel a powerful beam that spans across the battleground for 4 seconds, dealing 105 damage every 0.25 seconds to non-Structure enemies hit.

Level 13

• Adonium Shell (E)
    • After arriving with Warp, gain 40 Armor for 4 seconds.
  • Dampening Field (Trait)
    • Fenix gains 15 Spell Armor while he has a Shield from Shield Capacitor.
  • Rapid Recharge (Trait)
    • Whenever Fenix is healed, Shield Capacitor's Shield recharges for 20% of the healing received.
  • Auxiliary Shields (Trait)
    • Permanently reduce Fenix's maximum Health by 10% but increase Shield Capacitor's Shield by 20%. Basic Attacks regenerate Shields equal to 20% of the damage dealt.

Level 16

• Offensive Cadence (W)
    • Every 3rd Basic Attack against Heroes while Repeater Cannon is active deals an additional 6% of the target's maximum Health as damage.
  • Photonic Weaponry (Trait)
    • Fenix deals 15% more damage while he has a Shield from Shield Capacitor.
  • Arsenal Overcharge (Passive)
    • Fenix's Basic Attacks reduce his Ability cooldowns by 0.5 seconds.

Level 20

• Secondary Fire (Q)
    • Hitting an enemy Hero with Plasma Cutter fires a Purification Salvo missile at them after 0.5 seconds, dealing 86 damage. Deals 50% increased damage to Slowed targets.
  • Singularity Charge (W)
    • Repeater Cannon grants 200% more Attack Speed, and Phase Bomb grants 2.5 more range.
  • Unconquered Spirit (Passive)
    • Upon taking fatal damage, Shield Capacitor regains 600 Shields. This effect has a 120 second cooldown.
  • Thanks 1

I thought Fenix would blast in at core tier. Now it looks like he's heading straight for Prime tier with these talents. 

1 hour ago, Stan said:

Talents

Level 1

• Mobile Offense (W)
    • After moving unmounted, Fenix's next Basic Attack deals 30% more damage to Heroes.

Level 4

• When Shield Capacitor's Shield becomes depleted, gain 30% Movement Speed for 5 seconds.

Level 7

• Divert Power: Weapons (Active, Cooldown: 20 seconds)
    • Activate to instantly drain Shield Capacitor's Shield, but increase Basic Attack damage by 80% of the Shield drained for 5 seconds.

Level 13

• Permanently reduce Fenix's maximum Health by 10% but increase Shield Capacitor's Shield by 20%. Basic Attacks regenerate Shields equal to 20% of the damage dealt.

Level 16

• Offensive Cadence (W)
    • Every 3rd Basic Attack against Heroes while Repeater Cannon is active deals an additional 6% of the target's maximum Health as damage.

Level 20

• Singularity Charge (W)
    • Repeater Cannon grants 200% more Attack Speed, and Phase Bomb grants 2.5 more range.

These AA talents are literally the definition of rape. Perhaps another 'Maiev type' release?

I have a question, though. How does his Shield Capacitor work? If he receives another type of shield (such as Tassadar's Plasma ShieldPlasma Shield), does that shield counts as a separate shield or adds into his current shield bar?

P.S.: I don't think I've ever write "Shield" so many times in a single paragraph.

15 minutes ago, Maxkitty said:

I thought Fenix would blast in at core tier. Now it looks like he's heading straight for Prime tier with these talents. 

These AA talents are literally the definition of rape. Perhaps another 'Maiev type' release?

I could see going for his quest at level 1 because 80 extra damage added to auto attacks is nothing to sneeze at and 3 circles of the Q ability will hit quite hard

6 minutes ago, mada7 said:

I could see going for his quest at level 1 because 80 extra damage added to auto attacks is nothing to sneeze at and 3 circles of the Q ability will hit quite hard

Perhaps. It remains to be seen what talents are great. However I like the stutter step one better because it scales more with the other talents and as you level up. You have a valid point though.

1 hour ago, Stan said:
    •  
  • Planet Cracker (R2, Cooldown: 100 seconds)
    • After 0.5 seconds, Channel a powerful beam that spans across the battleground for 4 seconds, dealing 105 damage every 0.25 seconds to non-Structure enemies hit.

Just to point out, this could be a decent push tool as well as a defensive counter to objectives that push lanes (curse, zerg swarms, spiders etc).    100 seconds comes up fairly quickly.     Wouldn't be as good as hammer or Rag's ults, but it can be used more easily as a zoning tool/combat finisher/sniping tool.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Migol said:

Just to point out, this could be a decent push tool as well as a defensive counter to objectives that push lanes (curse, zerg swarms, spiders etc).    100 seconds comes up fairly quickly.     Wouldn't be as good as hammer or Rag's ults, but it can be used more easily as a zoning tool/combat finisher/sniping tool.

Agreed. Not to mention help your team on a teamfight from the other side of the map, or help take down a boss, or to block an enemy escape path on the other lane.

5 minutes ago, XeaKon said:

A mobile AA ranged hero with soft cc, shields and a global ability. Why is Raynor still ingame when we received Ray 10.0 , Fenix ?

LoL. Sad but true.

And don't forget mobility and great sustain talents.

Edited by lChronosl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Valhalen said:

I have a question, though. How does his Shield Capacitor work? If he receives another type of shield (such as Tassadar's Plasma ShieldPlasma Shield), does that shield counts as a separate shield or adds into his current shield bar?

P.S.: I don't think I've ever write "Shield" so many times in a single paragraph.

Just launched Try Mode with Tassadar and I can confirm that the absorb from Plasma ShieldPlasma Shield is added to Fenix's Shield.

Screenshot2018-03-20 00_02_19.jpg

• Thanks 1

Seems solid. That auto build though :O

I wonder; do they seem to be moving away from (a portion of) level 20 talents being simple ult upgrades? If I'm remembering correctly; Tracer and Maiev are the only heroes without those upgrades. To put it further into perspective, Tracer was always a special case and Maiev was just released recently and now Fenix is missing these upgrade talents...maybe they're moving away from these upgrades in favour of adding more the hero? Stop the game-making plays be based solely on ults? Just noticed it ;-;

Personally, I am not a fan of the stutterstep build. Getting CC'ed will make things basically a nightmare for you, and there's plenty of them around. Plus I generally don't like stutter, so take this with a grain of salt.

I'd prefer a build going along the lines of a slow focus, and working with heroes like Jaina and Kel'Thuzad to control and demolish the enemies. Though even on his own, I've found this on PTR does quite well if you got your positioning right.

3 hours ago, Stan said:

Level 1

• Quest: Hitting enemy Heroes with Plasma Cutter permanently increases Fenix's Basic Attack damage by 1, up to 80.

Level 4

Level 7

• Combat Advantage (Q)
    • Plasma Cutter deals 50% more damage to Slowed targets.

Level 10 (Heroic Abilities)

• Purification Salvo (R1, Cooldown: 75 seconds)
    • Channel for 1.5 seconds, sweeping a laser in front of Fenix that locks onto enemy Heroes. Once Channeling finishes, fire 5 missiles at each locked Hero, dealing 86 damage each. Deals 50% increased damage to Slowed targets.

Level 13

Level 16

• Arsenal Overcharge (Passive)
    • Fenix's Basic Attacks reduce his Ability cooldowns by 0.5 seconds.

Level 20

• Secondary Fire (Q)
    • Hitting an enemy Hero with Plasma Cutter fires a Purification Salvo missile at them after 0.5 seconds, dealing 86 damage. Deals 50% increased damage to Slowed targets.

I know most drools over the laser beam, but having tried it, I can honestly say that it's ridiculously easy to just walk out of. In maps with tight corridors and close objectives it can be the best, but considering everything, I've chosen the scanner. Works well with slow, and hits more heroes. A great finisher, or way to put some harsh pressure on the enemies. Also, Purification Salvo will hit enemies no matter where they go, long as they got scanned. The mobile heroes will not be safe if they dash behind their walls after being targeted.

I haven't been able to test him yet, but it seems to me based on some videos that his basic attack range on repeater cannon mode is smaller than average. Can anyone check that?

Damn... just RDD. Fenix could easily be another multiclass. Zealot till 10 then upgrade to upgrades zealot, dragoon for rdd of purifier as tank((  IMHO - wasted

But I will by him any way. My life for Aiur! 

Edited by InfernalDevil

Interesting talent tree to say the least, many good choices, they got him pretty much covered. He can adapt his build according to team comps. Weird that there's no option to improve 2nd Heroic.

He looks interesting.Only problem: since all people whether pros or noobs will get him and that laser needs experience a bit, we will have crap matches for weeks like first weeks of Ana when nobody could heal with her but this time some can't work with laser well..haha

12 hours ago, Stan said:

Just launched Try Mode with Tassadar and I can confirm that the absorb from Plasma ShieldPlasma Shield is added to Fenix's Shield.

Screenshot2018-03-20 00_02_19.jpg

But this can exceed his maximum shields, right? For example, he has base 800, and Plasma Shield grants base 455 shields. So in this case he'd get 1255, correct? It's kinda of a stupid question, but still.

Edited by Valhalen

But this can exceed his maximum shields, right? For example, he has base 800, and Plasma Shield grants base 455 shields. So in this case he'd get 1255, correct? It's kinda of a stupid question, but still.

I don't think Heroes has a cap on how much shielding you can receive.

Level 1

Oh look, another quest that will go baseline in the first rework.

It is probably an unintended bug, shields from other players should be classified as buffs and not as "healing" their shield.

Will his special passive shield receive the extra damage from varians shattering throw talent where he basically destroys every shield instantly, and if so, varian would be a SUPER hard counter against him

Rare Patron
14 hours ago, lChronosl said:

I haven't been able to test him yet, but it seems to me based on some videos that his basic attack range on repeater cannon mode is smaller than average. Can anyone check that?

You can check stats with the new info panel they included not too long ago. It shows attack range along with other useful information.

2 hours ago, Neglobe said:

Will his special passive shield receive the extra damage from varians shattering throw talent where he basically destroys every shield instantly, and if so, varian would be a SUPER hard counter against him

This is actually very likely, since it does count as a shield, so it will take extra damage. Also, Varian's CC and charge are enough on their own to be hugely dangerous to Fenix. His only escape is through his warp and if an enemy or ally varian decides to take Taunt, you can interrupt Fenix before he casts it and he'll be as good as dead. 

Also, his warp is on a 15 second cooldown, which is pretty long for an escape. If he uses it at the wrong time, he could find himself in a very dangerous position. He seems good at keeping his range though, but judging by his low health and weakness to hard CC, he will likely struggle a lot against enemy teams that have many gap closers and can charge him and burst him down. 

Edited by Maxkitty

No ultimate buff talents is a cool idea. They should implement this on more heroes. I feel that way too many heroes have close to no reliable level 20 ultimate buffs, so switching those talents with something better could be a new direction in design.

21 hours ago, lChronosl said:

Yep, his range is only 5 on Repeater Cannon, while on most ranged heroes it is 5.5, which means you might be kited. Whether it makes a significant difference or not remains to be seen.

Edited by lChronosl