Jump to content
FORUMS
Heatm1ser

Fairly new, need deck help

Recommended Posts

Hi, I'm a relatively new player. I used to play Hearthstone a few years ago but stopped playing. I recently started playing the game again and I think I have a fairly decent collection of cards for someone with as little experience as I have, but I don't really know which cards work best together for each class. So I'm wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to figure out which cards that I own are the best to make a deck with for each class. I see a lot of suggestions on Deck creation based on cards that I don't own... So that doesn't really help me out very much. Right now I have about a thousand dust, and I believe I have a fairly decent collection of cards, plus I pre-ordered the expansion so I have 70 decks waiting to be opened... Plus the potential 16 decks I'll be able to collect from doing daily quests after March 27th. Is there an app that will analyze the cards that I own and help me put together a deck? I just installed an app that lets me track my decks, but it makes no suggestion on which cards to remove and which cards to replace them with that I own. What would you guys suggest?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The are some things we need to know in order to give useful advises:

  • Do plan to play Wild or Standard format, or both? (not playing for a long time will mean you mostly own wild cards, I guess)
  • Do you want to play for fun or competetive?
  • If you want to play competetive, how serious? (do you want to get a top deck (Tier 1) or would a tier 2 deck ok too?

Oh and don't get me wrong and I might misunderstand you but it sounds a bit like you want otherd to do all the brain work for you. Looking for/finding out which cards have a good synergy is part of the game, imo.

Even if you don't own all the cards needed for a specific deck, you can browse through the decks here on Icy Veins (wild and standard) to get an impression on what is played and which synergies are good in the current meta.

Edited by Caldyrvan
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

The are some things we need to know in order to give useful advises:

  • Do plan to play Wild or Standard format, or both? (not playing for a long time will mean you mostly own wild cards, I guess)
  • Do you want to play for fun or competetive?
  • If you want to play competetive, how serious? (do you want to get a top deck (Tier 1) or would a tier 2 deck ok too?

Oh and don't get me wrong and I might misunderstand you but it sounds a bit like you want otherd to do all the brain work for you. Looking for/finding out which cards have a good synergy is part of the game, imo.

Even if you don't own all the cards needed for a specific deck, you can browse through the decks here on Icy Veins (wild and standard) to get an impression on what is played and which synergies are good in the current meta.

Caldyrvan has all your answer trust in him. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't played wild yet so I don't know if I would like it. I plan on playing standard and ranked, and being fairly competitive. A  their 2 dexl would probably be best for me. It's not that I want others to do all the work for me...but what good are these forums if you can't come here and get advice from more experienced players? I did some research last night on a starter deck for a new mage player, and I was impressed. I had most of the cards suggested, but not all. So I filled the holes with a few cards that I thought would help. After 2 matches I took a few more cards out and replaced them. Since I did that I'm like 15-4 in standard matches and enjoying the game much more. You're  right when you say some things are learned through playing. I just need help figuring out which of my cards are best to start a deck with for each class. Once the ground work is later, I should be fine. 

I had a really intense match against a guy who started out with 5 random legendary cards shuffled into his deck....I lost, but it was really close. I was hoping someone could look at the replay and tell me what I should have done differently.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/4vuNX33jqMg7qr6DyMGY8Z

 

Thank you for your help in advance!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Heatm1ser said:

I had a really intense match against a guy who started out with 5 random legendary cards shuffled into his deck....I lost, but it was really close. I was hoping someone could look at the replay and tell me what I should have done differently.

https://hsreplay.net/replay/4vuNX33jqMg7qr6DyMGY8Z

 

Thank you for your help in advance!

First big mistake, IMHO: you used polymorf instead of fireball on the Magus Ogre, leaving a 1/1 sheep AND your sen'jin at 1 health, screaming "value trade". Then the next turn they played Cairne, a very better target for the polymorf. This alone could have cost you the game.
He used Malchezaar, so he have 5 random legendaries. They can be trash, or they can be overpowered. Polymorf is the best card ever to take care of OP legendaries. So, why waste it on a 4/4?

At turn 7, I would have played firestrike, trading 2 minions and leaving baine with 1 health waiting for your hero power next turn, or even an arcane missle if better, instead of playing 2 minions that are easily tradeable with your opponent's current board (baine trades with the taunt goblin, then the bartender kills the novice without even dieing!!!). Again, I say that at this point of the game, you have already lost.

Next turn, without any possible come back of the board, I would have played the faceless summoner, to make a bigger board and hoping in a very good 3 drop. A 6/5 isn't better then a 5/5, as your opponent have a 8 health minion that would not be traded by neither 6 nor 5 attack, but you would had a second minion that maybe could have traded their imp.

At turn 10, I wouldn't have wasted the second polymorph on that 6/6, I would have drawn, knowing that my 5/5 would have made their 6/6 a 6/1 waiting for hero power.

At turn 11, I would have traded instead of playing arcane explosion. Yes, you would leave on board a 5/4, but you still had a 5/2 and a 1/3 that your opponent would have traded. Not only because an aoe is always good, but also because if your opponent feels smart and trade your 1/3 leaving their minion alive, then you have 5 damage to start destroyin an eventual chest summoned by Marin.

On turn 12, your mech should have traded Thalnos. 1 damage face is not that good, while a minion less on board it is. And in the next turn, it was the difference between a full clear and a 2/1 gnome surviving.

At turn 16, why the [italian imprecation] you choosed the 2/2 instead of the 8/8??? :O
That would have put you on a 1 turn clock, saving the fireball for a taunt minion or others... 8+8 are 16 damage on a 18 health opponent... I don't understand. And neither I understand wasting the fireball face.

 

I hope to having been clear. Sorry if I wrote some bad english, and remember that I'm not a pro player, so I may be wrong. I don't want to seem rude or something...

Edited by Synesthesy
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's good you get into game and trying things out.

I think it's best to have mix of getting advises and learning by your own experiences.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Synesthesy said:

First big mistake, IMHO: you used polymorf instead of fireball on the Magus Ogre, leaving a 1/1 sheep AND your sen'jin at 1 health, screaming "value trade". Then the next turn they played Cairne, a very better target for the polymorf. This alone could have cost you the game.
He used Malchezaar, so he have 5 random legendaries. They can be trash, or they can be overpowered. Polymorf is the best card ever to take care of OP legendaries. So, why waste it on a 4/4?

At turn 7, I would have played firestrike, trading 2 minions and leaving baine with 1 health waiting for your hero power next turn, or even an arcane missle if better, instead of playing 2 minions that are easily tradeable with your opponent's current board (baine trades with the taunt goblin, then the bartender kills the novice without even dieing!!!). Again, I say that at this point of the game, you have already lost.

Next turn, without any possible come back of the board, I would have played the faceless summoner, to make a bigger board and hoping in a very good 3 drop. A 6/5 isn't better then a 5/5, as your opponent have a 8 health minion that would not be traded by neither 6 nor 5 attack, but you would had a second minion that maybe could have traded their imp.

At turn 10, I wouldn't have wasted the second polymorph on that 6/6, I would have drawn, knowing that my 5/5 would have made their 6/6 a 6/1 waiting for hero power.

At turn 11, I would have traded instead of playing arcane explosion. Yes, you would leave on board a 5/4, but you still had a 5/2 and a 1/3 that your opponent would have traded. Not only because an aoe is always good, but also because if your opponent feels smart and trade your 1/3 leaving their minion alive, then you have 5 damage to start destroyin an eventual chest summoned by Marin.

On turn 12, your mech should have traded Thalnos. 1 damage face is not that good, while a minion less on board it is. And in the next turn, it was the difference between a full clear and a 2/1 gnome surviving.

At turn 16, why the [italian imprecation] you choosed the 2/2 instead of the 8/8??? :O
That would have put you on a 1 turn clock, saving the fireball for a taunt minion or others... 8+8 are 16 damage on a 18 health opponent... I don't understand. And neither I understand wasting the fireball face.

 

I hope to having been clear. Sorry if I wrote some bad english, and remember that I'm not a pro player, so I may be wrong. I don't want to seem rude or something...

Your English was excellent! I really appreciate your analysis of where I made mistakes on each turn or could have made better choices. I could figure these things out on my own but it would take a lot more time before I would learn them, so I really appreciate your input and how it help me learn quicker.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is great to see a new face on this board. Who not just asks one question and never replays to the answers he receives!

And Caldryvan + Synesthesy gave you realy good advice!

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think we would answer anyway but some feedback, especially positive, can't hurt :)

And good luck for your games in Hurtstone, Hardstone? Heartstone? Hörtstone? Curvestone? Spellstone?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm really excited for the expansion! Once I have a competitive deck, I'm sure I'm going to be really good. I think right now my biggest problem is that I'm facing people who have better decks than me... But I'm winning 70% of my matches after making a new mage deck even with an inferior deck... It's quite promising :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...