FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Defiantsoul

Pally tank taking tons of damage, with bad spikes.

Hey everyone, was wondering if I could maybe get some help determining why our prot paladin seems to take a TON of damage. If anyone could point out any problems it would be appreciated.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-qfh8or0cv9di5lbv/

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/stormrage/Alyentari/simple Armory.

Thanks in advance smile.png

Edited by Defiantsoul

Could you link a specific fight where he/she is taking the spike damage? :) please and thank you, usually if a paladin is taking spike damage it's less their gear than it is their skill/cd useage

You linked to the boss, not to your guild's specific fight. Please provide a log showing the issue you are asking about. Also, he logged out with his Ret weapon, but it looks like in his Prot spec, he wastes a glyph slot on Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous, which is no longer needed due to Crusader Strike giving the Weakened Blows debuff. Also, he misses out on 240 Strength by ignoring socket bonuses, and I'm not convinced that's the best thing to do.

He also takes Divine Purpose. I prefer Holy Avenger due to the ability to control when I get the extra Holy Power, and if he is overly squishy, that would seem to bear out that he isn't that proficient with DP use.

In general, the things you should be looking at are uptime and optimal usage of Shield of the Righteous and Divine Protection, whether he is using Seal of Insight, and whether he is fully hit and expertise hard capped with his Prot gear on.

Well now I just feel silly. Must've copied the wrong link right before I went to bed. Will fix when I get off work. And yes, I agree the gear seems to not be his issue, merely his use of SotR and possibly other cd's.

OK, looked at the Thok kill. The amount of damage taken wasn't extraordinary, but he was doing some things that would have made him take more spike damage and make him more difficult to heal.

- Should be using Seal of Insight for self-healing. The couple million damage that he would lose from Seal of Truth/Censure would have been made up for, and then some, by using all of his Holy Power on SotR instead of WoG, which he used 11 times.

- Abnormally low uptime on Sacred Shield. Even post-nerf, this is so important to keep up because it absorbs a lot of damage. It wasn't up during the highest damage phases, including when he died.

- On the positive side, his Divine Purpose proc usage was excellent throughout, as was his use of Light's Hammer. I wouldn't change either of these talents because he is using them well.

- Glyphed Divine Protection usage was generally good, but it wasn't up when it could have saved him. On Thok it should ideally be put up during a cast of Deafening Screech so that it minimizes the damage.

- No use of Guardian of Kings, which would have saved him when he was caught out with no other cooldowns available (since he had already used Ardent Defender).

Looking at his spec and imo hes using 2 questionable talents.

- EF vs. SS

Usualy EF is way stronger. On fights like Thok with high vengeance it heals for absurd amounts as a prot

- DP vs. HA

HA offers HP when you realy need it. With its 2min CD he should be able to use it on each phase1 and maintain a high uptime of sotr.

In terms of glyphs im not sure if his current glyphs are used for a specific fight or if hes running those glyphs the whole time. None the less the glyph for divine protection is a must have in my book. After a quick look at the logs imo his massives spikes resulting from bad cd management/wrong sotr uptime. Oh and he might think about reforging the helm and boots in a different way. Reforging parry into exp. on the helm and mastery into haste on boots will allow him to use more pure haste gems. wink.png

Hello Fellow Stormrage Player!

The above post is a very accurate description of what could be wrong. Holy Avenger can be up to a 30+ second wall of shielding. Divine Purpose does seem like a very active talent, but its still just random, where Holy Avenger can be timed so that you use it, go until your shield is down, then start throwing some other CDs if you don't need to save them.

One thing that has helped me when tanking was getting an add-on such as Tell Me When, so that I can track when any of my damage reductions are active, such as Shield of the Righteous, Guardian of Ancient Kings, Divine Protection, Argent Defender, etc. It's also good to keep reminding yourself that Sacred Shield is running out and needs to be replaced. If Eternal Flame is being used, it can be the same benefit.

I see that they swapped to Execution Sentence, make sure they've got it macro'd to themself if they have no reason to heal others, it'll be useful to save the time from putting it out randomly on the boss when they wanted to self heal.

Perhaps the player's UI is a bit cluttered and (s)he has trouble seeing all these things on their screen with ease, though there's not much you can do about that. Getting used to a new UI is always going to take time, so a "before the reset" kill may not benefit, but in the long run getting the right UI would help them.

They seem fairly well set up other than that, so it might be how comfortable they are with the class. Hopefully your kill will be soon, and that it's smooth and repeatable. Good Luck!

Edited by Fouton
  • Like 1