Jump to content
FORUMS
Stan

Change Skin Color in Barber Shop on Battle for Azeroth Alpha

Recommended Posts

JSwvFgT.jpg

You can visit the Barber Shop and change your skin color for 300 Gold and 54 Silver in Battle for Azeroth.

The option to alter your skin color is only available to older races and the four Allied Races right now on Battle for Azeroth Alpha. We tried Humans, Orcs and Void Elves. All races could change their skin color for 300 Gold and 54 Silver.

WoWScrnShot_042218_125449.jpgWoWScrnShot_042218_125457.jpgWoWScrnShot_042318_132959.jpgWoWScrnShot_042318_134218.jpg

We noticed that Dark Iron Dwarves and Mag'har Orcs were not able to change their skin color in the Barber Shop for now. The option wasn't there. Hopefully, it's just a bug that will be fixed in a future build, because both Allied Races just became available for playtesting on Alpha.

WoWScrnShot_042318_130228.jpgWoWScrnShot_042318_133555.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i kind of dislike this, since Mag'har orcs will have skin colors representing a clan, with black, grey or red skin color. I think it would be okay to change the "hue" or "saturation" inside the skin color you pick. But if you can go from "grey orc with metal pieces" into "red orc with tripal paintings", its a bit to crazy and destroys character immersion. :(

With other races, it wouldnt be to much of a problem, but still...

  • Confused 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lawrenz said:

With other races, it wouldnt be to much of a problem, but still...

I'm not sure why Mag'Har is a problem...  If you could change them to a non Mag'har color I can see it destroying the immersion, but theyre still a color applicable to their 'faction,' ie still an uncorrupted one.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Lawrenz said:

i kind of dislike this, since Mag'har orcs will have skin colors representing a clan, with black, grey or red skin color. I think it would be okay to change the "hue" or "saturation" inside the skin color you pick. But if you can go from "grey orc with metal pieces" into "red orc with tripal paintings", its a bit to crazy and destroys character immersion. :(

With other races, it wouldnt be to much of a problem, but still...

If Michael Jackson could have changed his clan, then I don't see why they should restrict it in a fantasy world. Though I agree somewhat - skin color change should come with some kind of visual penalty - like a missing eye or an ugly nose. With undeads they could simply enter a phase of accelerated decomposing: nobody picks the jaw-less face anyways.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Badadada said:

If Michael Jackson could have changed his clan, then I don't see why they should restrict it in a fantasy world. Though I agree somewhat - skin color change should come with some kind of visual penalty - like a missing eye or an ugly nose. With undeads they could simply enter a phase of accelerated decomposing: nobody picks the jaw-less face anyways.

I'm so sorry but none of what you said makes sense.

 

I like having the option to change it if I want btw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Lawrenz said:

i kind of dislike this, since Mag'har orcs will have skin colors representing a clan, with black, grey or red skin color. I think it would be okay to change the "hue" or "saturation" inside the skin color you pick. But if you can go from "grey orc with metal pieces" into "red orc with tripal paintings", its a bit to crazy and destroys character immersion. :(

With other races, it wouldnt be to much of a problem, but still...

Then don't use the colour change option at the barber shop. Problem solved.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, VictorVakaras said:

Then don't use the colour change option at the barber shop. Problem solved.

those kind of comments are a bit silly. Even if i am not using something, it can still affect me. In this case, yeah it minor, but it's there. I am just imagining "roleplayers" for example, who build stories for themselves or interact with others, part of which is always affected by the looks of the characters.

I am not so much into the orc clans, since i am an full on alliance player, but i bet the different tribes inside the maghar race have different characteristics. Thats the immersion destroyed.

Even though, i am no horde player, and not a roleplayer, but i can still send out my worries in this regard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Lawrenz said:

those kind of comments are a bit silly. Even if i am not using something, it can still affect me. In this case, yeah it minor, but it's there. I am just imagining "roleplayers" for example, who build stories for themselves or interact with others, part of which is always affected by the looks of the characters.

I am not so much into the orc clans, since i am an full on alliance player, but i bet the different tribes inside the maghar race have different characteristics. Thats the immersion destroyed.

Even though, i am no horde player, and not a roleplayer, but i can still send out my worries in this regard.

If it's something role players find immersion-breaking they would just not use it. If people from outside of their role playing ecosphere changed their skin colour, how would they even know? Camp out at the barber shop?

Not wanting a neat little quality of life addition to the game because there's a minute chance that a very small percentage of the game's population might, in the rarest of circumstances, have their immersion ever so slightly broken is silly.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, VictorVakaras said:

If it's something role players find immersion-breaking they would just not use it.

So when i say " Even if i am not using something, it can still affect me " you advice not using it. Again. Oh, you enlightened me.

9 hours ago, VictorVakaras said:

If people from outside of their role playing ecosphere changed their skin colour, how would they even know? Camp out at the barber shop?

Of course they don't know, when players "outside their rp-ecosphere" change their skin color. Thats out of question. Argumenting like this, is on the same level as "If i dont see it, it doesnt exist, duuuh"
But guess what, there are players inside this ecosphere. When i wrote my comment, i imagined a scenario where one of your long time ingame friends, that always played a red Mag'har orc with tribal paintings, and always identified with that tribes characteristics etc. suddenly turns black with metalpieces in his skin. What does he do? Play like the red orc never existed?

9 hours ago, VictorVakaras said:

Not wanting a neat little quality of life addition to the game because there's a minute chance that a very small percentage of the game's population might, in the rarest of circumstances, have their immersion ever so slightly broken is silly.

I said as well, that i know, that it is minor, and yes, it affects very few. But as i said in my first comment:

On 23.4.2018 at 3:47 PM, Lawrenz said:

I think it would be okay to change the "hue" or "saturation" inside the skin color you pick

and i stand by this. It doesnt make sense that a "Goblin Barber" can change my tribe from tribal mag'har into metal enhanced mag'har, because in my eyes it would be the exact same thing as changing a dwarf into a dark-iron-dwarf.
Ohhh, how interesting, that this is not possible, because they are a completely different race.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"I dont like it, therefore you may not use it."

On 4/24/2018 at 12:04 PM, Lawrenz said:

So when i say " Even if i am not using something, it can still affect me " you advice not using it. Again. Oh, you enlightened me.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/24/2018 at 8:04 PM, Lawrenz said:

So when i say " Even if i am not using something, it can still affect me " you advice not using it. Again. Oh, you enlightened me.

Of course they don't know, when players "outside their rp-ecosphere" change their skin color. Thats out of question. Argumenting like this, is on the same level as "If i dont see it, it doesnt exist, duuuh"
But guess what, there are players inside this ecosphere. When i wrote my comment, i imagined a scenario where one of your long time ingame friends, that always played a red Mag'har orc with tribal paintings, and always identified with that tribes characteristics etc. suddenly turns black with metalpieces in his skin. What does he do? Play like the red orc never existed?

I said as well, that i know, that it is minor, and yes, it affects very few. But as i said in my first comment:

and i stand by this. It doesnt make sense that a "Goblin Barber" can change my tribe from tribal mag'har into metal enhanced mag'har, because in my eyes it would be the exact same thing as changing a dwarf into a dark-iron-dwarf.
Ohhh, how interesting, that this is not possible, because they are a completely different race.

None of what you said counters anything I said, at all. It's going in the game, so just deal with it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VictorVakaras said:

(...) It's going in the game, so just deal with it. 

That is not true. "it became available in the Battle for Azeroth Alpha" and that means it's being tested and Blizzard could take in some feedback on it. And i think you didnt understand me at all, because you wrote:

On 24.4.2018 at 8:58 AM, VictorVakaras said:

(...) Not wanting a neat little quality of life addition to the game because (...)

I never said, i am totally against it, and dont want it. I said that i dislike it (in its current extent), put out my worries, and even gave an idea how to change it. Thats what feedback is called.

 

1 hour ago, VictorVakaras said:

None of what you said counters anything I said, at all. (...)

i see... so this is just a childish fight in your eyes. *sigh* ...i answered to your posts, to give you a better understanding on my point. And not to attack you.

On 23.4.2018 at 11:42 PM, VictorVakaras said:

Then don't use the colour change option (...) Problem solved.

and

On 24.4.2018 at 8:58 AM, VictorVakaras said:

(...) just not use it.

i answered to. Not to "counter"-attack you.

but i have to admit, that those are top arguments... mr.rhetoric

Edited by Lawrenz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23.4.2018 at 3:57 PM, PatrickHenry said:

I'm not sure why Mag'Har is a problem...  If you could change them to a non Mag'har color I can see it destroying the immersion, but theyre still a color applicable to their 'faction,' ie still an uncorrupted one.  

the "uncorrupted ones" is just the box Blizzard put this allied race into. I see it immersion breaking because those different clans they have put into this box are so distinct in their visuals and probably have their own characteristics (as i have already pointed out)

in one of my latest comments i wrote:

On 24.4.2018 at 7:04 PM, Lawrenz said:

It doesnt make sense that a "Goblin Barber" can change my tribe from tribal mag'har into metal enhanced mag'har, because in my eyes it would be the exact same thing as changing a dwarf into a dark-iron-dwarf.

Think about it this way: Instead of Darkiron Dwarfs allied race, we could have gotten "Dwarf Clans" as an allied race. And the Skin options would let you choose between a darkiron looking one, or maybe then even Wildhammer looking ones, with tribal paintings like Falstad for example. THAT would be then on the same level as the Mag'har we got now. The Orc clans inside could even get their own allied race. They totally could have done "uncorrupted orcs" AND "iron-Horde orcs" and have added some more cool metal decorations for their skins and more tribal paintings for the others.

But as little as i like the idea of people changing Wildhammers to darkirondwarfs (which isnt possible), i feel the same about those mag'har skin option, IF it should become abvailable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lawrenz said:

the "uncorrupted ones" is just the box Blizzard put this allied race into. I see it immersion breaking because those different clans they have put into this box are so distinct in their visuals and probably have their own characteristics (as i have already pointed out)

so really the only way to 'fix' the immersion break is to have (how many clans) each their own separate 'allied faction'?

Because each color scheme / visual must match its corresponding other visuals/schemes or else that too seems to me that it would break immersion.

Basically x number additional allied races, and all Orcs, because they all need their own characters

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, PatrickHenry said:

so really the only way to 'fix' the immersion break is to have (how many clans) each their own separate 'allied faction'?

Why not? I can see Blizzard adding Wildhammer Dwarfs in the future as well. So they could have just made the uncorupted orcs without the iron horde orcs. And add them sometime later as well and make them even more distinct from the other orcs in terms of heritage armor flavorful racials, customization and so on. The customization on the maghar would have been all in the red and brown skincolors and tribal paintings.

2 hours ago, PatrickHenry said:

Basically x number additional allied races, and all Orcs, because they all need their own characters

Thats really no different to elves. They all originated from the same race and have pointy ears. woooho. And what do we have? 2 Main races that are elves, and 2 allied races that are elves as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/30/2018 at 5:26 PM, Lawrenz said:

Why not? I can see Blizzard adding Wildhammer Dwarfs in the future as well.

Oh well if theyre adding wildhammer dwarves that will almost make upf or the what?  7 clans of orcs that are on Draenor?  

On 4/30/2018 at 5:26 PM, Lawrenz said:

Thats really no different to elves.

except they all have entirely different cultures and look significantly different.  Not just tattoo differences.  Entirely different starting areas and lore and looks...  

None of the 'simple mag'har' orc clans would even exist had it not been for the Iron Horde itself during WOD opening a portal to this timeline.  Thus I would expect SOME homogenization of culture.

How would a shattered hand Orc operate in game, anyway?  

Edited by PatrickHenry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, PatrickHenry said:

How would a shattered hand Orc operate in game, anyway?  

he can cut his steak with his hand

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Similar Content

    • By Starym
      Another response from a Blizzard veteran on the sexual harrassment and discrimination lawsuit filed against Activision Blizzard, as Chris Metzen, former Senior Vice President of Story & Franchise Development, the man behind the story and lore for most Blizzard franchises up until 2016, voice of Thrall and many more has now talked about the issue. He mentions his response was "later than it should have been" and continues:
           
    • By Starym
      To take our minds off the news that's been in focus for a few days now, just for a second, here's a very cool machinima by Pivotal and MasterVertex. If the names sound familiar, it's because they are part of the team that brought us the incredible "Judgement" machinima recently.
      While we'll have to wait quite a while to see how/if Sylvanas is punished for what she did to Teldrassil, In "Eye for an Eye" we see Tarren Mill getting a visitor:
      Hopefully the cameo at the end indicates we get to see the actual person behind what happened to Teldrassil also get a little machinima where she is dealt with.
    • By Starym
      We have another old Blizzard employee joining in on the commentary surrounding the Activision Blizzard lawsuit, as former Lead Systems Designer Greg "Ghostcrawler" Street offered his thoughts on the matter.
      More specifically, there's an old 2010 BlizzCon WoW Q&A video clip that's been posted to reddit and received a lot of attention, which was pointed to as being related to the issues/atmosphere alleged in the lawsuit, and while Street barely even said anything in it, he still thought he should explain the situation and apologize.
      As he was then asked directly about the situation at Blizzard at the time relating to the lawsuit, he also responded:
      You can read even more replies in this thread.
    • By Starym
      The recent Activision Blizzard lawsuit is having effects in World of Warcraft as well, with many players staging various kinds of protests, including sit-ins in Oribos while raising money for charity, and checking up on a disappearing NPC.
      The most prominent of the protests is from the Fence Macabre RP guild who stages a sit-in on the Oribos steps with hundreds of players, and also managed to raise a huge $9,500 for the Black Girls Code non-profit organization during it:
      The guild tried to get as many individual players together on the same shard via raid groups, but there were still plenty you can't see in the screenshots.
      Another interesting "event" in the game is players heading to Stormwind to "check up" on a specific NPC, namely Field Marshal Afrasiabi (who is named for Alex Afrasiabi, one of the people mentioned in the lawsuit allegations, and who also left Blizzard in 2020).

      The more interesting thing, however, is that Blizzard has seemingly started despawning the NPC, as he was not there when some players arrived. Players had actually been asking for the removal of all references related to Afrasiabi, so this might just be Blizzard listening, although there are other references still in-game.

      And finally, a message from one group of players to the other:

      In terms of actual player comments on the matter there are, of course, many more threads discussing the issue over on r/wow, so if you want to see more community reactions head on over there, with most comments in the main lawsuit thread.
    • By Starym
      A bigger batch for the end of the week, focusing on Mythic+ dungeon changes, with some Torghast and minor class and item tweaks as well, with the Paragon reputation from the Archivist's Codex now working properly.
      July 23 (Source)
      Classes
      Demon Hunter Fixed an issue with Hidden Helm and Hidden Cloak transmog options for Demon Hunters not using the correct appearances. Covenants
      Soulbinds Night Fae Fixed an issue where Podtender (Dreamweaver) would cause the player to die when accepting a queue. Dungeons and Raids
      Sanctum of Domination Remnant of Ner’zhul Fixed an issue that allowed cleave effects to hit his armor pieces on Mythic difficulty. Mythic+ Fixed an issue where dying after completing the dungeon in time could cause you to lose the ability to trade your keystone with Ta'hsup. Tormented Affix The spawn location of the 4th Tormented Affix lieutenant in Sanguine Depths has been adjusted to be available before Grand Proctor Beryilla. Spires of Ascension Devos Fixed an issue that would cause Archon's Bastion damage reduction buff to be removed with player immunity effects. Tazavesh, the Veiled Market Fixed an issue where Lethal Force would continue to affect players after Commander Zo’far’s defeat. Items and Rewards
      Paragon reputation gains for The Archivists' Codex faction now function properly. Torghast, Tower of the Damned
      Torments Raging can now be dispelled by spells that remove enrage effects such as Soothe . Reinforced: Unstoppable is no longer removed from the enemy upon the player’s defeat.
×
×
  • Create New...