FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Caldyrvan

Competitive Concedestone

.... AKA who hits the button first?

Since the release of The Witchwood, maybe a bit earlier I don't want to nail it to the expansion, I noticed it's either me or my opponent conceding early in the game. This is mostly my experience in casual since I still can't convince myself to do more than a ranked game here and there but it's not really different there. Some wait a bit longer before conceding and of course there are always the players playing to the last health point even if it's pointless. The average ranked game just demands more of your time to come to the same result.

Players might just judge a game state wrong and could easily win, so why are they conceding?

• There are numerous decks (or even whole classes) players simply don't like to play against.
  • They are behind and knowing their deck they see no point in wasting time.
  • They face a deck that hard counters theirs.
  • They get matched against the 6th cubelock (just an example) and are bored.

One might agree or not but I think all these reasons are understandable.

Then I thought "Isn't this mind setting a bit poor? Where is the competitive spirit? And sadly I had to come to the conclusion there is nothing competitive about hearthstone at least not really. It's more about comparing to others than to compete.

I saw myself, friends, streamers etc. playing and no matter which mode or at which rank you play it's always like this, you have:

• The worse deck but win or the better deck and lose.
  • Less skill but win, or more skill and still lose.
  • Or mix of having the better deck and more skill but still lose or having less of both and still win.
  • And sometimes you have the better deck and more skill and win as you've earned it.
    • but this might also be true for your opponent :D

I don't want to say the dumb will always win, of course you can win or throw a game with the decisions you make but the percentage amount of uncontrollable parts of the game make it possible that the worse wins and the better loses. Of course that's not always the case and on average the better player with a similar deck should win more games than a bad player (and I assume that is the case). Still there are the decks which can be piloted by a hamster with dementia and beat a skilled player with a top constructed deck.

Also the ladder is a grind more than a competition that ofc requires skill and knowledge and a good deck to climb the ranks but it's also about time you want to put in. And I think it's ok to reward a player who spends more time on the game but "who is the best" can't be told by that.

Now that I have thought about it a bit more I have a mindset that allows me to enjoy Hearthstone much more, it's simple, sometimes you throw a game sometimes not. Sometimes your actions decide the game sometimes they don't matter.

I still like the game, there are a lot of cards, combos, cool matches and they want to be played but now that I realized that it is more about conceding and less about competing I am very calm :)

Feel free to agree or disagree, different opinions are always conceding ... interesting, I mean.

Edited by Caldyrvan
  • Like 3

I think I agree. :) Yea, sometimes I have a lot of disappointing games from all this reasons you write, but so often I'm the one who playing for last health point. Idk why, I really feel I would concede but I keep play. And few times my enemy conceded for some reasons when win obviously was NOT for me. Luck somehow. :D

P.S Be careful with bad words for hamsters. :P

Spoiler

Boo.jpg

Edited by Lightout
  • Like 1

I know, TCG player are always like......

vq9lGHV.thumb.gif.1630fdbfa9c41994c659fd22c0321214.gif

However, I have a suggestion: try wild! Here you will almost never face the same deck twice, and there are so many decks viable that there is no boredom at all!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hahahaha yea sometimes it feels like that but don't get me wrong this wasn't a post to complain about HS or parts of it, just my impression on it and how to get into the game much more relaxed.

Also I heard complaints regarding my words about my hamster comparison with brain dead decks/players. If you feel offended by this I honestly want to apologize. I can assure you it was never my intention to insult hamsters.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Caldyrvan said:

I can assure you it was never my intention to insult hamsters.

Minsc is glad that you made this point clear!

"Go for his eyes Boo"

24 minutes ago, WedgeAntilles said:

Minsc is glad that you made this point clear!

"Go for his eyes Boo"

Yea, and I think Shepard would be glad, too.:D

Edited by Lightout

6 hours ago, Synesthesy said:

However, I have a suggestion: try wild! Here you will almost never face the same deck twice, and there are so many decks viable that there is no boredom at all!

Until you play against someone who will drop Naga and 6 giants in one turn. 

And, not facing same decks twice is a myth. This season, I remember seeing 6 big priests in 9 games in one day. This was around rank 9-10.

On 24/4/2018 at 4:42 PM, FanOfValeera said:

Until you play against someone who will drop Naga and 6 giants in one turn. 

And, not facing same decks twice is a myth. This season, I remember seeing 6 big priests in 9 games in one day. This was around rank 9-10.

Yes there are more big priest, cubelock and giants then other decks, but it's nothing like pirate warrior some months ago, for example. And about Giants, yes, they are strong, but they aren't that strong. You just need to keep care of them during deckbuilding. In wild more classes have ways to deal with higher tier deck then in standard.... For example, Druid, Priest, Warlock, Warrior, Paladin, Mage have a nice way to deal with a full giant board. They miss only rogue and hunter...

• Like 1