FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Dipstick

Taking more damage then DK tank

So i've been raiding my guild in SoO and my other tanking buddy who is a DK complains that im taking way to much damage.  Almost twice the amount he is...I'm using all my CD's right and i can't seem to figure out what i'm doing wrong.  Maybe i am not gemming correctly ? 

This is my charter

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/sargeras/D%C3%ACpst%C3%ACck/simple

Any help towards the right direction would help, thank you. 

Avoidance gemming should lead to the lowest damage taken in both theory and practice. Do you have any logs of recent raids? It's more than likely an issue with your playstlye, the metagem choice is incorrect (should be the eternal) but that's a very minor thing.

Most of the time (not to say nearly all the time) taking too much damage or dying too much as a tank will come from not using your abilities correctly. As Tengenstein said, Logs would be invaluable if you want us to help you.

By far, the most important aspect of tanking is the active one. I can give you a few tips about your enchants and reforging, but their difference will be small if you don't utilize your active mitigation well. This is particularly true of the avoidance build.

On your neck I see you have reforged hit to mastery. This would be better if the reforge were hit to dodge.

Every red slot I see other than the two on your shoulders has either parry/stam or expertise/stam. What's going on there? Especially since you have parry/dodge in your shoulders. What are you prioritizing? I'd recommend parry in the red slots, dodge in the yellow, and either dodge/stam or parry/stam for blue slots.

There's a stam gem in the prismatic slot on your belt. I'd recommend either parry or dodge, depending on your needs. Parry should be about 2 to 2.5 times dodge. With your ilvl, parry should be roughly 2.2 or 2.3 times dodge.

You have 3p tier. 4p for prot this tier is pathetic for the avoidance build and 3/5 of the tier pieces are very poorly itemized for the avoidance build. Only helm and legs are worthwhile. You have chest, legs, and shoulders. Replace the shoulders OR the chest with the best offpiece you can find. Look for pieces with parry and dodge. Once you have the tier helm, wear that and replace the chest or shoulders as appropriate.

While I can't know what pieces you've had available, but find replacements for your weapon, belt, and your 535 ring ASAP. Those pieces are very bad for an avoidance build. Remember, it is itemization that matters, not ilvl!

I'd also like to restate: these changes will make a difference, but if you bring me logs to assess, I can better show you how to blow your tanking buddy out of the water. In the mean time, read through my guide. I've tried to put tips on mitigation use in there.

^ thank you for that. im gonna change that out tonight.  I gem for stam cause my raid was complaining i was getting hit to hard and that i needed more health

Edited by Dipstick

Stam's not going to prevent you from getting hit hard, that all depends on your active mitigation use. Bring me logs!

Just making sure that we aren't missing the obvious "Are you in Defensive stance?" question.   Just came to mind since I swap back and forth between Fury and Prot regularly.  A few weeks back I forgot to change stances after swapping to Prot and was wondering why I was taking so much extra damage... derp!

Edited by Keimorl