FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Decision

BrM stat advice

So I just picked up playing BrM again from leaving it back in 5.1 and I need some advice regarding stat prio.

I'm regularly only tanking raid finder and flex and so far there's no huge issues as we always have our main team healers to help out but I want to make things easier for them.

Classwise I would say I'm playing BrM pretty well so my rotation is most of the time flawless and I'm raiding 7/14 hc on my prot pally so I know the fights pretty well also.

What I need to know is how I should gem and reforge.

Atm I play with askmrrobots crit build so hit7.5%>exp15%>haste 4500-6000>crit>mastery but I dont seem to need the crit avoidance as much as raw dmg reduction with stagger.

Here's my armory http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/steamwheedle-cartel/Dexin/advanced

Thanks in advance.

When choosing your stats as a Brewmaster you have to ask yourself how much damage you want to do VS how much damage do you need to be able to survive.

Gearing for crit not only gives you a lot of avoidance (which is good damage mitigation but can prove to be spiky at times) but also increases your damage by a lot. On the other hand, gearing for mastery will reduce your damage output by a lot, but in return will make you much less spiky.

All in all, it depends on what you're raiding and how you play. If you say your rotation is good, then you can probably easily deal with the spikiness of the crit build and get good damage going. If you're a bit less confident, mastery will give you slightly less to worry about.

Finally it also depends on how hard what you're tanking hits. If you're tanking LFR, Flex or Nomral (and even some heroics if your gear is good enough) a good Crit geared player will have no problem surviving those hits and therefore can use this gearing strategy to increase the raid DPS by a lot. However, once you start tanking stuff that hits super hard (25M heroics, and other stuff when you have lower gear) then mastery starts to shine as it will allow you to be much less spiky.

TL;DR: If stuff hits hard and you don't need to do damage: Go mastery. If you can manage the incoming damage on you and you want/need to do more damage: go crit.

I am by no means a perfest BrM as its my offspec but i have tanked H norushen and H galakras when our main tank is away and had no problems with a full crit build. Only critiscism i got was to stop stealing all our druids vengance :P

Ohaider,

When choosing your stats as a Brewmaster you have to ask yourself how much damage you want to do VS how much damage do you need to be able to survive.

Pretty much this. If you are doing 10-man raids and Flex/LFR, you won't really need any Mastery. :P

I just switched my Guild from a casual one (11/14N) to a pretty decent Guild (10/14H), so I had the chance to tank on Heroic level. Our Healers reported I was okay to heal (my first week/first tries on Heroics), there is nothing special to mention, so I can keep stacking crit. Note, that we raid 10-mans. Here is my armory page: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/twisting-nether/Szensa/advanced
I personally use this stat priority:

Agility>Hit(7.5%)=Expertise(15%)>Haste(7k)>Crit>Mastery

With your item level I'd say to go for a lower Haste, like 4500 or something and stack as much Crit as possible. Your teammates will really love you for your raid Guards. :) (And a 'constant' 50% Dodge is still awsome.)

Aaannd... if you feel squishy after all, there is a build I haven't tried out yet, but planning on to:

Agility>Hit(7.5%)=Expertise(15%)>Haste(7k)>Crit(cap(DW/2H))>Mastery

This will result in a much higher Mastery rate vs. a little bit of Crit lost. Its all up to you and your teammates. :)

I hope I helped. :)

Adam

PS: Let me give you an advice on your Professions. BE a Blacksmith! Those 640 secondary stats are just OP. (And be an Engineer, because its just awsome. :D )

Thanks for the replies and for Szensa, do you mean crit build with DW and mastery with 2h or what do you mean?

Also for professions I'm aware BS is really good yes but as it's just an alt I havent put that much effort in maxing professions yet :)

Hi,

Agility>Hit(7.5%)=Expertise(15%)>Haste(7k)>Crit(cap(DW/2H))>Mastery

the bold part means you should reach the crit cap, which depends on your weapons and your Haste rating, then go for Mastery.

Adam

Edited by Szensa

Hi,

if you are doing 10N/H content, I'd say use 'my' stat prio (Agility>Hit(7.5%)=Expertise(15%)>Haste(7k)>Crit>Mastery). AND... DO cap your Hit. For real. You don't want to see any missed Keg Smashz. :P And be a Blacksmith. Definetely be a Blacksmith. :D

Dis iz mai armori: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/twisting-nether/Szensa/advanced

If you are raiding in a 25-man team, go for Agility/Stamina(Depends on your healers)>Hit(7.5%)=Expertise(15%)>Haste(7k)>Mastery>Crit

I hope it helps,

Adam

Hi,

if you are doing 10N/H content, I'd say use 'my' stat prio (Agility>Hit(7.5%)=Expertise(15%)>Haste(7k)>Crit>Mastery). AND... DO cap your Hit. For real. You don't want to see any missed Keg Smashz. tongue.png And be a Blacksmith. Definetely be a Blacksmith. biggrin.png

Dis iz mai armori: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/twisting-nether/Szensa/advanced

If you are raiding in a 25-man team, go for Agility/Stamina(Depends on your healers)>Hit(7.5%)=Expertise(15%)>Haste(7k)>Mastery>Crit

I hope it helps,

Adam

Hi Szensa,

I have a noob question here.. why are you using the 7k haste bp? is it so you can regen energy faster and use your chi builders more often, leading to more active mitigation? If this is the case, is it better to loose that crit (aka elusive brew)? And one last question.. is this bp with or without ascension? (or is the same?)

Thanks! 

edit: I'm refering to the stamina/mastery build

Edited by kika

For 10 man, you usually want a crit build, since tank damage matters a lot.   IF you feel that you are getting hit way too hard or not comfortable with tanking, I'd say go with a mastery build to help smooth out your damage.  

There is no difference in 1h vs 2h, just use what ever gives you the most stats

Hi Szensa,

I have a noob question here.. why are you using the 7k haste bp? is it so you can regen energy faster and use your chi builders more often, leading to more active mitigation? If this is the case, is it better to loose that crit (aka elusive brew)? And one last question.. is this bp with or without ascension? (or is the same?)

Thanks! 

edit: I'm refering to the stamina/mastery build

IMO Haste is normally just a comfort stat above about 4500 and allows you to "stuff up" your chi building "rotation" and can make it easier to recover. It can also allow for better uptime on RJW whislt maintaining shuffle on specific fights.

Similar to the spirit treatment on traditional healing classes.

I use the Mr robot crit build and it seems to do me fine.

IMO Haste is normally just a comfort stat above about 4500 and allows you to "stuff up" your chi building "rotation" and can make it easier to recover. It can also allow for better uptime on RJW whislt maintaining shuffle on specific fights.

Similar to the spirit treatment on traditional healing classes.

I use the Mr robot crit build and it seems to do me fine.

Yep, this. The 7k Haste isn't a BP, its just... I'm feeling comfy myself having that amounts of Haste. 'Enough' Energy regen, enough Healing Spheres and EB. I always use Ascension. smile.png

Rotationwise I would be able to dump way more Energy if I had, but trading ~5k Crit for Haste just doesn't worth it DPSwise. Just keep spamming Tiger Palm if you need to pool Energy. smile.png

Edit: Personal experience: On HC it feels much smoother to have more Haste, than 4.5k. 6-7k-ish seems fine. You will need to purify more. tongue.png Simply thats why. tongue.png

If you are planning to use a mass Mastery build, you'll lose a ton of Crit, which leads to less EB generation. This means you will probably have to use it more active, since you won't be able to maintain 100% uptime on it. With time you will get used to it. tongue.png

Edited by Szensa

oh i also forgot i have 2 561 1h Weapon would they better to use Vs. the warforged 2h?

No. :P Always use the higher ilvl weapons, but a 2H weapon is always superior to a DW build (whilst tanking ofc). More Stamina, reliable EB generation (your autoattacks won't ever miss).

The reason I use a DW build, is I'm a DPS whore, and a DW build results in slightly higher DPS, and... I haven't fkn seen a single 2H Agi weapon drop this tier yet. (... ... ...)