FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Obas

AoE Rotation - Frost

So I read through the guide on what the AoE rotation is, however I am not sure how many mobs I have to be facing to switch from single target to the AoE rotation. This might be a stupid question, but I was just wondering. Thanks for the help!

For 2H frost it sort of depends on rng. Since you'll get rime procs from obliterate sometimes you'll still do more dps against 2-3 targets if you stay with your single target rotation and get good procs. Against 3+ though definitely switch to howling blast, make sure you drop death and decay, and maybe even start spreading your diseases with pestilence or unholy blight if the mobs are going to be alive for a while.

Do not use pest or unholy blight to spread diseases. Infact don't use unholy blight at all, Plague Leech is so much better its not funny.  Sprerading diseases is wasted dps in current progression gear. However, if you are leveling or are not ready for SoO raids you will probably benifit from disease spreading.  Good luck you undead scourge.

Plague Leech is indeed better on most boss fights, but then again you aren't doing AoE rotation on boss fights. Unless the mobs are going to live long enough for Blood Plague to almost fall off, I'm not sure you will gain any DPS from using plague leech in your AoE rotation.

PL is better 100% of the time man.  Don't believe me? test it on some dummies, use it when you are out of runes and its off cooldown.  Its 2 free HB for aoe or a free HB/ps to refresh diseases. Its literally 2 death runes for the price of 1 unholy.  In a short AoE trash fight its not like you'll get full disease duration either. Wouldnt 2 more HB in all their faces do more damage then a piddly 8k tick every 3 seconds?  On a boss it shines even more, where as UB does what for you exactly?

Do not use pest or unholy blight to spread diseases. Infact don't use unholy blight at all, Plague Leech is so much better its not funny.  Sprerading diseases is wasted dps in current progression gear. However, if you are leveling or are not ready for SoO raids you will probably benifit from disease spreading.  Good luck you undead scourge.

When is a good time to use Pest to spread diseases?  I'm and admitted newb at this class, but I use it when i'm facing more than 3 or 4 mobs if I know they're they're not going to be instagibed.

There is a formula,

(1+.5*Extra Targets) * HB ST DMG = (Y)*BP Tick

Where you input the damage values that your Howling Blast Single Target damage does and your Blood Plague Tick, and you choose the number of targets as Extra targets.  But Failhard, Failhard, hey HB is an aoe and we're talking about aoe fights!

Why yes we are my Re-undeaded Frozen Warlord; here's why this works this way:  Howling blast's splash damage is lower than the damage it does to the single target, but that splash/cleave damage is just a bonus, we're talking about maxing our dps right?  The way we do that is by causing the highest ammount of damage possible right? The single target damage on HB is where the highest ammount of damage is, the cleave is what puts it ahead of oblit and makes it the best spell to use for an aoe fight.  The above formula will either return a reachable number of ticks or a number larger than 10. Remember our diseases tick every 3 seconds for 30 seconds giving us 10 ticks for the duration.  So if that formula gives you a number above 10, its not worth spreading diseases at all. Just use more HB then.

Basically, like I said before if you are ready for SoO you shouldn't even be spreading diseases at all.  I was shocked when I saw how little damage BP adds.  For 2h its more important because it increases oblit damage, but for an AoE rotation I wasn't even using oblit. Here's the other thing, there really is no such thing as an aoe fight that isnt trash. The only bosses that are kind of close are the waves at Gal and Dark Shaman.  On Gal if you are 2h you should probably go to the tower and blow up the general because 2h is really good at bursting down priority targets. and on shaman its the same thing, if your group is seperating them you won't be able to cleave for one. For two even if they are together its not even worth letting blood plague tick when you could be smashing HB instead. For context from the oldest logs still on my WoL in 530ish gear my BP tick is 10792.3 avg every 3 seconds and HB is 85014.9 avg, you cant make 10k > 85k in 3 seconds, there is just no reason other than oblit and PL to even care about BP as frost.

Edited by Failhard