FORUMS
Tere

This is a virus not a ad

Uncommon Patron

This is a virus that appears on your page, it forces you to click it, and modifies your computer. I used to use this site a year ago and had never seen anything like this on the site, This is different than the ads that appear, I know those pay you and I get it, These people are trying to tell you the pop up we see is malware, when executed, replicates itself by modifying other computer programs and inserting its own code. When this replication succeeds, the affected areas are then said to be "infected" with a computer virus. 

Please fix. 

17 hours ago, Tere said:

This is a virus that appears on your page, it forces you to click it, and modifies your computer. I used to use this site a year ago and had never seen anything like this on the site, This is different than the ads that appear, I know those pay you and I get it, These people are trying to tell you the pop up we see is malware, when executed, replicates itself by modifying other computer programs and inserting its own code. When this replication succeeds, the affected areas are then said to be "infected" with a computer virus. 

Please fix. 

Hello Tere,

I'm not sure I understand what happens. First of all, you are a Patron of the site, which means you shouldn't be getting any ads. Are you trying to say that you saw an ad and it was suspicious? Then, we'd have two issues to fix: 1) the fact that you're still seeing ads 2) the fact that you saw a suspicious ad.

Please get back to me on that, so that I can start investigating.

• Like 2

Uncommon Patron

@Damien I am sorry I am replying in here as I maybe should have inboxed.

Yes I have Patron, and yes I still saw the pop up that I saw several people referring too In the forum. On the cell it appears as a panel across the screen, it doesn't allow you to bypass it to see the site unless you select it and agree to download this fake* virus software. I do not usually go to sites away as this is my gaming pc, however I had used your site prior to this without issue.

I am now running ad-block to be able to access the forum, PS that is not the only place in the site this particular popup appeared. On the PC it is the same, (Yes I tried both (shamefully agrees) both have virus software on them. The PC again had the popup and it would not let you see visit etc on the forum page without agreeing to use it click it etc. I didn't, however I have a good tech with my PC and asked them to help me at least get to the forum to see if anyone else was having this issue, I saw a lot of posts and screenies of that popup. Tech made it so i could come on and post a message to you since i didn't dare go to any other page after that. That is also why it took me so long to reply, The ad block and a setting in windows helped so i don't see that pop up, This really isn't a ad you have in your xtml. It appears as a similar program that blocks users from the site until they agree to use it, it turns the screen black changes your files so you cannot see how too or remove it,  and then asks you to pay to remove it. 

Sincerely Yours Tere

Edited by Tere

1 hour ago, Tere said:

@Damien I am sorry I am replying in here as I maybe should have inboxed.

Yes I have Patron, and yes I still saw the pop up that I saw several people referring too In the forum. On the cell it appears as a panel across the screen, it doesn't allow you to bypass it to see the site unless you select it and agree to download this fake* virus software. I do not usually go to sites away as this is my gaming pc, however I had used your site prior to this without issue.

I am now running ad-block to be able to access the forum, PS that is not the only place in the site this particular popup appeared. On the PC it is the same, (Yes I tried both (shamefully agrees) both have virus software on them. The PC again had the popup and it would not let you see visit etc on the forum page without agreeing to use it click it etc. I didn't, however I have a good tech with my PC and asked them to help me at least get to the forum to see if anyone else was having this issue, I saw a lot of posts and screenies of that popup. Tech made it so i could come on and post a message to you since i didn't dare go to any other page after that. That is also why it took me so long to reply, The ad block and a setting in windows helped so i don't see that pop up, This really isn't a ad you have in your xtml. It appears as a similar program that blocks users from the site until they agree to use it, it turns the screen black changes your files so you cannot see how too or remove it,  and then asks you to pay to remove it. 

Sincerely Yours Tere

Were you logged in when you saw the ad? Otherwise, it would mean that the forums got hacked, but I can't find any trace of an intrusion (I've just run a number of tests).

Coincidentally, our ad agency enabled a new ad filtering solution on their end last week and we received no report since, which would clearly point towards the ads being the issue (especially since they disabled the ads entirely on the site for several days 3 weeks ago, and we got no report as well during this time, eliminating the possibility of a hack being the culprit). Also, from what you're saying, you only experienced the problem prior to shielding yourself with an adblocker.

If you would dare ? could you please try to disable the adblocker and see if the problem comes back. If it does, you can simply close the window or the tab (CTRL+W or CTRL+Q) and the message will go away. Thanks!

Uncommon Patron

I'm also seeing ads as a Patron of the site, they seem pretty aggressive random generate divs etc to avoid blockers.  It appears to be using some sort of ajax xhr calls to a folder /prolix/ that seems to try to work around the ad blocker.  I'm not sure if this the way ad networks are attempting to get around client blocking or a virus install, but either way I would like all the extra network js/ad network code disabled if I'm paying for ad free. Not seeing the ad is just part of why I pay.

Edited by thordreen

On 7/14/2018 at 4:37 AM, thordreen said:

I'm also seeing ads as a Patron of the site, they seem pretty aggressive random generate divs etc to avoid blockers.  It appears to be using some sort of ajax xhr calls to a folder /prolix/ that seems to try to work around the ad blocker.  I'm not sure if this the way ad networks are attempting to get around client blocking or a virus install, but either way I would like all the extra network js/ad network code disabled if I'm paying for ad free. Not seeing the ad is just part of why I pay.

Hey, there's a thread currently up in the Patron section of the forums that was started by another Patron - there was an issue with when the ads were meant to be displayed, but it should be fixed now. Please let me know if you're still running into issues, since we'll need to find a solution to stop it ASAP.

Sorry for the inconvenience, it was just a mix-up. We definitely weren't intending to throw ads at Patrons!