FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Strife

Couple of Destro Theory Questions

1. On single target destro when I run out of backdraft procs, I've generally been using one RoF and then casting Fel Flame. I was watching the Method H-Garrosh kill though and noticed Sparkuggz never used Fel Flame and would use RoF and then just 1.5s Incinerates until conflag was back up. I'm assuming that's the correct way to play when you have no backdraft, maybe it depends on ilvl because of scaling with incinerate?

2. I know the DPET of Shadowburn is better than a normal Chaos Bolt during execute phase. But during something like Sha of Pride or N. Garrosh p3 you can have bloodlust and then a meta gem proc up which brings your C. Bolt to 1.5s. On top of this you can use a conflag for C. Bolt since Bloodlust + Metagem gives you 1s incinerates without backdraft. It seems like during these procs C. Bolt is better then Shadowburn, just wanted to see what other people's opinions were.

1.  I don't know why you'd want to fit Fel Flame into your rotation if you don't have to.  RoF still seems to be something you want to use during times of high haste only still.  Incinerate is amazing though and gets better with T16-2pc, so definitely use it when you can.

2.  There is another aspect of using SB over CB during executes that's a little more subtle.  While on paper it seems awesome to push 1.5 second auto crit CB's through on execute phases, you're also going to run yourself out of mana if you don't SB once in awhile.  CB's longer cast time helps the spec's flow of mana.  When you remove the slow component you aren't allowing yourself to generate the mana you would normally gain.

Basically, when you switch to SB not only do you gain mana, but you gain more embers because you're still saving .5 seconds every GCD with which you can use on Conflag/Incinerate.  SB is more mobile friendly as well of course.

That said, if you're finding that you line up your meta gem with Bloodlust frequently during execute phases and want to test your damage output using CB instead of SB I'd be interested to see your findings.  We can go into your logs and compare your DPS during those periods of time.

I know.  :D

I'm saying that because it generally takes 2.5 seconds to cast you're getting time to regenerate your mana.  When CB is almost as fast as your GCD your mana pool isn't getting the time it needs to regenerate.

I know.  biggrin.png

I'm saying that because it generally takes 2.5 seconds to cast you're getting time to regenerate your mana.  When CB is almost as fast as your GCD your mana pool isn't getting the time it needs to regenerate.

With that kind of haste proc to get Chaos Bolt to 1.5 seconds, your mana regen is probably 300k+mp5. Remember that also increases with haste.

Guaranteed crit (and increased critical damage assuming you're saving your Dark Soul for Heroism/Execute) and same execute time (just have to standstill for CB), I could see a benefit. Don't underestimate the mobility of the instant cast, though :)

You're also filling in with super fast, cracked out Incinerates as well.  It can put a huge dent on your mana pool.

Like I said though, very open to seeing results on that.  I may even try it myself tonight if the planets align.

Yea generally the two fights I see it on are for a bit on Sha and Garrosh p3. I play Aff on Dark Shamans and Nazgrim which would be the only other fights where lust usually overlaps with execute and meta procs.

But I'll have to look into it a bit more also.

Edited by Strife