FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
AlbinoTufel

Help with Enhancement

I need help figuring out what to do to get better.

My armory:

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/character/dalaran/albinotufel

Logs:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/character/us/dalaran/albinotufel

Best performance:

https://wowanalyzer.com/report/2K7LpjTm8MncD3NX/13/1

least bad performance on a night recently where I was pretty bad on the whole:

https://wowanalyzer.com/report/dXJZyRLj4Dh9P6Vw/17/96

Are parses really a good measurement of how well Enhancement Shaman perform?  If so, how can I do better?  I got back into WoW about 3 months ago after not playing for 10 years.

I've recently made some UI changes and started using Wordup's weak auras.

I don't have any disillusions that I'm a fantastic player, but I would like to be.

Hardware considerations: crappy computer with a crappy video card.  It's not uncommon that I'll get noticeable lag spikes where my GPU is having a hard time keeping up with what's going on.  Solutions that include 'get better hardware' are not going to be helpful to me.  If it turns out that I'm playing really well and these are what's holding me back, feel free to stroke my ego and tell me how amazing I am and that my sub-optimal results aren't my fault.  (Yes I know this is not the case.)

On 6/4/2018 at 8:57 PM, AlbinoTufel said:

Are parses really a good measurement of how well Enhancement Shaman perform?  If so, how can I do better?  I got back into WoW about 3 months ago after not playing for 10 years.

On some bosses, yes. On others, no.

Felhounds is the perfect example of this. Most groups just stack them for heroism and then split them once it ends. Top parses stack them for the entire fight, meaning you have constant cleave for 100% of the fight, which also only lasts 2 minutes or so.

Always try to look at Varimathras for how "well" you are doing. There is minimal mechanical input on your DPS, meaning it's the closest to a Patchwerk fight we still have.

It's a bit of an older kill, but I'm going to look at your 44% Varimathras kill on Heroic.

The WA report says the following:

7vuerkV.png?1

WoWAnalyzer is very basic for Enhance, but when it picks up so many basic errors, you can use it to improve. It will always have issues with Maelstrom wastage, but that is just part of Enhance. Once you start seeing the "Major" stuff go down and more Average/Minor problems, then we can start looking past WA and into proper log analysis.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the response!

I assume my parses get better the more familiar I get with content.  Heroic Varimathras for example I have I think 3 total pulls on, and I spend a lot more time thinking about mechanics than I do on bosses I'm more familiar with.  Varimathras may sound like an odd example since there' really only two mechanics for a dps (don't stand in the bad and run away from people if DBM tells me to) but the reason I worry so much about mechanics is if I mess it up I can wipe the raid singlehandedly. 

The way you improve with unfamiliar fights is to know the rotation inside and out. Maybe on progression you use a simpler build and then introduce the things that require more finicky maintenance as you become more familiar, or else just do a variety of different content with the build you want to learn so that it becomes second nature to you.

Enhancement is a highly reactive, "seat of the pants" playstyle, but it also has a rhythm to it that you pick up on if you play it a lot. As the expansion went on I was looking down at my bars less and less.