FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Tswizzy

combat or assassin

so i am in a bit of a pickle and unsure of what to do at the moment. currently running sub and mut builds doing fine 200k dmg on most fights. unless its an add fight then i suffer and fall behind the others in my raid group. while fooling around in a flex run i got korvens axe from the paragons. but here is my question in my mut/sub spec i am using nazgrims gutripper normal SoO IL and mageras fang (tot normal). would it be a large decrease in damage to go to combat with a weaker mainhand axe then my dagger or better off.

http://shadowcraft.mmo-mumble.com/us/lightbringer/tswizzy/#!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

http://shadowcraft.mmo-mumble.com/us/lightbringer/tswizzy/#!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

this is what im talking about with the two different weapons between the builds, bottom being with the axe top being with daggers. 

1) You shouldn't use Shadowcraft to compare DPS between specs (not saying you did!). It's simply not made for that and generally not quite accurate. The given DPS number shouldn't really be taken in an absolute way but rather as a 'relative' number, because it focuses on variations brought by changes (gear, reforges, settings, etc.).

2) Combat's cleave is not really a must-have tool for most encounters. It really shines on Galakras... and thats pretty much all. Doesn't mean it's useless though, and you can use it effectively (i.e., without "whoring" useless DPS) on almost all fights.

3) IMO, given your weapons, you will do more pure single-target damage with Subtlety. Be aware however that particular tactics can sometimes screw you (e.g., having to stack in front of Malkorok during Blood Rage phases).

4) AoE wise, you can pull out about as much damage in Assa than in Combat, although it will be harder/more tedious in Assassination. Depends on the boss too.

tl;dr: you won't notice a big difference between sub & combat (single target) or between assa & combat (aoe / cleave), if you play all specs well.

I love the utility and burst dps of combat (although Killing Spree has become the "I die" button), but all the weapons that drop for me are daggers...time to dust off assassination I suppose.

I have a question; in the guides it says that as of 5.4 Combat lags in raids unless there is a cleave fight. Last time I looked 10 of the 14 bosses in Siege are cleave fights...am I missing something?