FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Netheris

Pet dps

I tried finding the information online, but I couldn't find it. Perhaps I didn't look hard enough. I know the guides say to use the felhunter, or imp in some circumstances, for destro, but I was wondering how far apart the dps is per pet?

Lately I've just been using whichever pet I felt like based on a priority of usefulness of abilities for the situation and when that does not matter then I just pick whichever item model strikes my fancy at that moment. I haven't noticed a huge dps difference, but I'm also just doing flex and lfr so it may not matter as much to me as it would to others. 

I was also wondering if the Demon training glyph made the imp any more useful in terms of dps compared to the felhunter? 

My personal preference has always been to use the fel imp, with the glyph of demon training. He fires off some pretty nasty firebolts, but I can't say how it compares to the imp without the glyph. Of course, this was back before I went with GoSac, which seems to work very nicely for Destro in SoO.

I was also wondering if the Demon training glyph made the imp any more useful in terms of dps compared to the felhunter? 

No. No. No. NO. NO. FANUJODWANBUDMSKPAD NO!

tumblr_inline_mi2qjbq7FS1qz4rgp.gif

I find the asshole at blizz that thought that glyph was cool and I'm kicking him in the face. The glyph doesn't help your imp DPS. At all. Ever.

Top to bottom the pets are ~500DPS apart. So...it really, really, doesn't matter what pet you use. Just use the one you like or has a buff that you want to use. Imo, Imp all day long. Better on target swapping, better looking, has a dispell, and can heal me. Win muthafucka win.

• Like 2

On single target the observer will come out on top on fights with a lot of target swaps like protectors, norushen, spoils then imp will come out better as it'll have better uptime on the mobs.

As others have typed, I prefer the Imp also, if I am not running GoSac. The self heal is a nice passive and there are lots of opportunities to target swap. If you just want to keep your pet tunneling on a boss, then go Felhunter/Observer. He does the most DPS out of all of them. But like Locky mentioned, 500 dps is just silly to consider

imp everywhere

observer needs some physical vulnerabity debuff from melee classes without them his dps is below imps  and is bad on multi target fights

Edited by Scorp

Fel Imp all the way :)

Tbh I also really like the Glyph of Demon Training. It does not increases the damage output of your imp but it does let him shoot in a burst. I find it especially helpful while kiting Thok away or moving a long distance from one spot to another during a fight. That puny little bugger does not need to stop and slowly move after each cast while the boss is kited away (I usually order him to attack after I'm moving away and so it will do his burst sequence and than follow me).

Also back in the time we had the problem that pet auto attacks were affected by the "masters" latency. Due to this I can still remember when we were using all of our spells macro-ed together with "/use firebolt" or "/use petattack". Is this still the case? If yes than... well.... the burst of the glyph makes only every 3rd firebolt cast affected by the masters latency or? This is what I'm talking about: http://frostisthenewblack.wordpress.com/2010/01/15/spell-queuing-waterbolt-macros-and-you/

As a last note, yes I'm using the fel imp to help the healers with dispelling on Protectors and Thok and so far they have really appreciated the help :) (same I was using it for Horridon gate 1).

No longer the cast.  Pets used to have some lag between their use of spells.  It was like they had their own special ICD outside of their spell CD.  They fixed pet attacks like that.  They have pause between their attacks because they have an energy bar now.  There's no need to macro pet abilities into your abilities.

I compared the DPS of the Imp and the Observer on a training dummy a couple days ago for about 5 minutes each.

The Imp came out on top by a few thousand DPS. I can't really fathom how people see the Observer doing more damage. Maybe it has to do with my gear? (Destruction, mastery emphasis)

I like looking at pets as utility, instead of dps.

Need a dispell?  Healing?  Imp

Need a disarm or extra life cd (sacrifice) void

Need a spell lock?  Felhunter

Need to feel inadequate?  Succubus.  Need to charm?  Still succubus.  Doesn't help inadequacy much there either.

Need a stun or AOE? Felguard.  Plus, with sacrifice, it's awfully funny to 'charge' as a warlock.

The difference between them all is relatively minor, where the true dps comes in is how they are used.

It's been said many times...pet damage difference is NEGLIGIBLE.  You use pets based on the utility you need for a fight.  Otherwise, go with what you like...your pet choice isn't detrimental to your DPS. 

I compared the DPS of the Imp and the Observer on a training dummy a couple days ago for about 5 minutes each.

The Imp came out on top by a few thousand DPS. I can't really fathom how people see the Observer doing more damage. Maybe it has to do with my gear? (Destruction, mastery emphasis)

It's because of the delay of the imp attacks.  He's constantly going in and out out combat because of how long it takes him.  Because combat keeps resetting, recount shows his damage higher.

Pretend you're Destruction for a second and start combat by launching a 1.5 million damage CB.  Then you stop combat.  Recount shows your DPS as probably over 500,000.  Now you throw another and you get about the same again.  Your *actual* DPS at this point is pretty bad considering the spell you're casting, but because of the combat reset the numbers still look good.

It's because of the delay of the imp attacks.  He's constantly going in and out out combat because of how long it takes him.  Because combat keeps resetting, recount shows his damage higher.

Pretend you're Destruction for a second and start combat by launching a 1.5 million damage CB.  Then you stop combat.  Recount shows your DPS as probably over 500,000.  Now you throw another and you get about the same again.  Your *actual* DPS at this point is pretty bad considering the spell you're casting, but because of the combat reset the numbers still look good.

And on top of that, you can only cast magical weakness (CoE), which only benefits your imp. Most raids will have physical weakness too.

A better way to test this:

Clear your Recount.

Turn it to OVERALL DATA.

Make him attack for five minutes (Pop your CoE on an off target and stop when it wears off).

Record the total damage it does.

Summon next pet.

Clear your Recount. 

Leave it on OVERALL DATA. 

Make him attack for five minutes

Record the total damage it does.

Compare to previous.

Rinse repeat for all your pets.

All your pets will lack the weakness debuff which will serve as baseline as long as the CoE is on the off target.

Edited by Rakupenda