FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
doofus

Is there a quick / auto way to sim ?

Hi guys,

I have been playing all classes and specs and been trying to sim them in simcraft. Trouble is the results are not intuitive and the sims have to be repeated quite often. In addition having 50 items in the bag and all the possible combinations and it takes a lot of time to log out wearing all the different items, so you can import them in simcraft, then putting it all in one script and start going over combinations, even one item at time to see what's best and what combo might be best. I have a fast computer and the sims are fast but still it is very laborious. Ideally there might be a simulation that will read / import my bags (an addon could do that), run the combinations offline, and tell me which pieces of gear work out best.

Has this been done or am I going the wrong way about it you think?

Many thanks for any suggestions

https://www.raidbots.com/

you can sim and compare several talent and gear combinations in one go. if you are using it in combination with Pawn, you should be able to figure out your BiS items pretty quickly.

keep in mind that stat weights and damage meters can vary a lot depending on dozens of different factors, so don't go crazy over 0.5 percent of damage differences and stuff like that. it's best to treat simulations and stat weights as tools to help you figure out what roughly works and what straight up doesn't.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your reply. The simc adddon is great for pulling out all gear in your bags and saves you from needing to log off. However the raidbots simulation uses simulationcraft, like I would, and does not use the hashed out/commented pieces of gear ? Am I missing something maybe?

what do you mean by hashed out/commented gear? I have never used SimulationCraft

What I do in Raidbots is just run the Top Gear thing. Plop in the SimC string, select the items I want to compare, and run the sim. 

I have to say though that Top Gear just isn't the same without Clarkson, Hammond and May...

Edited by jinsu2301

9 hours ago, jinsu2301 said:

what do you mean by hashed out/commented gear? I have never used SimulationCraft

What I do in Raidbots is just run the Top Gear thing. Plop in the SimC string, select the items I want to compare, and run the sim. 

I have to say though that Top Gear just isn't the same without Clarkson, Hammond and May...

Hi

Simulationcraft is the engine that runs the simulations and you can download it and run it as you like, you do not need to log on a website. Which is what I have been doing for years. 

Raidbots uses simulationcraft and when you import a character into raidbots or when you use the simc addon and copy the text in, that text is the actual simulationcraft script.

A '#' at the beginning of a line denotes a comment - it is not taken into account. When you import you will see a lot of lines with '#' at the start, they are all comments. This is what I meant by "hashed out lines".

I did not know is about the raidbots "topgear" feature which looks into all these items you have in your bags, shows them to you graphically so you can see the items visually rather than a line of text in the imported script, and allows you to run combinations. It uses simulationcraft's profileset feature which I have no idea how to use. I have been doing it all manually, comment out a piece of gear, comment in another piece of gear, run the simulation, compare the output DPS, and all over again. Raidbots/profilesets does this automatically and that is a fantastic cool feature! You may have to wait on a queue though.

If I understand right, you want an offline method of mass-simming huge levels of gear, far beyond what RaidBots allows, right?

Unless you have a seriously juicy computer, running a sim of that size is going to be far slower than running through RaidBots.

Run a stat weight sim, then use that to eliminate most of the gear that you know won't compete. Then run BiS gear sims.

• Thanks 2