FORUMS
Starym

No More Boost/Carry Advertising in Group Finder

KMhkcz8.png

Blizzard has cracked down on all types of advertising in the group finder. Today marks the removal of gold-related posts for all types of boosts and carries and returns the focus of the tool to it's roots, aka finding groups. With the ridiculous amount of boost groups that were all over the place in Legion, this seems like a great change, although the chat channels might suffer as a result. Do keep in mind though, that this change only applies to the actual advertising of boosts and carries, not the actual activities themselves.

Blizzard LogoGroup Finder (source)

As part of our ongoing efforts to crack down on in-game advertising, we’ll be implementing some policy changes with how we handle moderation for advertisements made through the in-game Group Finder, and wanted to give you a heads up before these policies are put into place.

Beginning Monday, July 2nd, we will no longer allow any advertisements in the Group Finder for in-game services such as carries or boosts, including those being offered in exchange for in-game gold. The Group Finder is intended for -- as the name suggests -- finding groups, and these advertisements make it difficult to find active groups that are currently being formed. Additionally, these are often used as a cover for real-money sales, particularly given that in-game gold cannot be transferred cross-realm.

Note that this does not change our policy on selling things such as raid carries for in-game gold. Those are still allowed, but should be advertised through realm-specific methods such as trade chat.

We’ll be adding an “advertisement” option to the Group Finder’s right-click reporting function with Patch 8.0, but in the meantime, they can be reported using the “spam” option. Thank you for your understanding, and for helping us keep the Group Finder clear of unwanted advertisements.
  • Like 2

nice ? finally getting rid of those advertisements. I totally agree that this should be done in the trade chat.

lately i had so much trouble finding groups for anything, because 90% were (WTS) +15 ... and more importantly... why are those still sold? +15 is pretty doable, even with mediocre gear for todays standarts, so late in the expansion.

/edit: well... i know, as far as there is a demand, there will be supply for that. i guess ?

Edited by Lawrenz
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Lawrenz said:

nice ? finally getting rid of those advertisements. I totally agree that this should be done in the trade chat.

lately i had so much trouble finding groups for anything, because 90% were (WTS) +15 ... and more importantly... why are those still sold? +15 is pretty doable, even with mediocre gear for todays standarts, so late in the expansion.

/edit: well... i know, as far as there is a demand, there will be supply for that. i guess ?

No it isnt a thing for trade chat either. Trade chat is for trading, not boost advertisements. I really hope they make some more decisions which include trade chat as well. Not with a ban punishment, but at least mutepunishments for those channels. 

Imo the most efficient way to handle this "problem" is to create a channel or communitybracket for those boosts, so everyone which is to lazy to play the game, can go there and do his p2w stuff with those individuals.

Yes +15 is doable for most players, but still there are heavy casuals, which have big trouble doing this difficulty. Also this kind of players and lazy people with their low gear toons, which dont want to invest more time to equip their toons on regular way, are the primary reason why this boosts even exist. And as you pointed it out yourself :

As long as there are people buying this crap, there will be such stuff. 

1 hour ago, Baharok said:

No it isnt a thing for trade chat either. Trade chat is for trading, not boost advertisements. I really hope they make some more decisions which include trade chat as well. Not with a ban punishment, but at least mutepunishments for those channels. 

Imo the most efficient way to handle this "problem" is to create a channel or communitybracket for those boosts, so everyone which is to lazy to play the game, can go there and do his p2w stuff with those individuals.

Yes +15 is doable for most players, but still there are heavy casuals, which have big trouble doing this difficulty. Also this kind of players and lazy people with their low gear toons, which dont want to invest more time to equip their toons on regular way, are the primary reason why this boosts even exist. And as you pointed it out yourself :

I agree, a separate chat should be created for this case, so that would be able to turn it off, when it becomes annoying. Also, I believe, that with new tools that create cross-realm groups, WTS groups will also be created, and those who want P2W will sit there and mind their own business. 

4 hours ago, Lawrenz said:

2 hours ago, Baharok said:

No it isnt a thing for trade chat either. Trade chat is for trading, not boost advertisements.

Trade chat isn't for trading! Its for politics, religion, and racism!

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I am thankful for the change to LFG.

7 hours ago, Baharok said:

I am a bit confused by this statement. Trade chat is for selling in-game services/items for gold. Saying you cannot advertise boots that are sold for in-game gold would be the same as saying an enchanter cannot post their profession links saying "Enchanter LFW". Both are services provided by players in exchange for currency (trading).

As long as I am able to buy tokens to sell for gold, I will continue to buy things like carries when needed for alts.

8 hours ago, Dregger said:

I agree, a separate chat should be created for this case, so that would be able to turn it off, when it becomes annoying. Also, I believe, that with new tools that create cross-realm groups, WTS groups will also be created, and those who want P2W will sit there and mind their own business. 

Well, now we are going to hace communities, so they can use that to sell boosts

Heh. This won't stop people from selling carries and boosts and such. Players always find a way to do what they want. Just look at gold seller websites.

54 minutes ago, krapmyself said:

Just look at gold seller websites.

I strongly discourage anyone from doing so.

Unfortunately they didn't use this opportunity to instead create a group finder made specifically for sales of carries, and then adjust the game to permit gold transfer across realms for such sales, with the gold [to a certain market limit] going into escrow until the completion of the instance. Too bad, WoW is good but its at least a decade behind where it could be with narrow thinking like this.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, krapmyself said:

Heh. This won't stop people from selling carries and boosts and such. Players always find a way to do what they want. Just look at gold seller websites.

But that's ok, the point here was to remove the spam from group finder so people can find groups easier.

Altough I have never used any such service (M+14 is my best, and it will probably stay this way), I'm not sure the developers should completely abandon the idea of paid boosting. I don't want to present a WoWeconomics lecture here, but if you think about it, the transactions are financed either by players farming gold, or by buying/selling WoWTokens. The boosters either spend that gold on in-game goods (potions, ponies, professions, etc.) or they convert it to Blizzard balance and spend it on paid-services, games and other things. So the boost market may not be a giant thing, but in the end it yields profit for Blizzard.
Besides that, we - "casuals" - have always admired the "pros", following their progress and watching their boss kill videos. A paid boost sounds like a pretty good opportunity for the two groups to connect. I mean many people spend hundreds of dollars to support poor quality Twitch streamers - why would it be a sin to buy a WoWToken for 4 guys who can actually produce decent gaming performance? Of course - as others mentioned before - it may not take superhero skills to 4-man M+15 this late in the expansion, but earlier it wasn't just a walk in the park.

Edited by Badadada

15 hours ago, krapmyself said:

But this change will still get many people away from spending real money in a fishy way.

Because they are posting (WTS)+15 in group finders, cross realm/server worldwide right now and since you cant trade cross way, it was accepted that it might involve such payment methods.

When they are now moving this trading into trade chat, they are just handling it in their specific realm, keeping trading (with just gold) more safe for everybody. ?

17 hours ago, ChrisKader said:

I am a bit confused by this statement. Trade chat is for selling in-game services/items for gold. Saying you cannot advertise boots that are sold for in-game gold would be the same as saying an enchanter cannot post their profession links saying "Enchanter LFW". Both are services provided by players in exchange for currency (trading).

i agree with that. It's still a form of trading.

21 hours ago, Lawrenz said:

i agree with that. It's still a form of trading.

Prostitution is also  a form of trading, but would you really say its nice to have it in a supermarket ?

(imo boosting services are kinda the same as "redlight" trading. The boosters make lazy people happy and those people pay with Gold or with $ / € via WoWtokens)

26 minutes ago, Baharok said:

Prostitution is also  a form of trading, but would you really say its nice to have it in a supermarket ?

(imo boosting services are kinda the same as "redlight" trading. The boosters make lazy people happy and those people pay with Gold or with $ / € via WoWtokens)

comparing it to prostitution is a bit heavy i would say...

i see it more like this:

I have to cut the the hedge in my garden. But i feel way to lazy to do this. So i hire a guy who does this for me. So i pay a bit of money to get a nice looking hedge again. Fine.

What blizzard is doing now, is to prevent me to hire "some shady guy" who wants to ripp me off. They are keeping this hiring process official and safe. (keeping the transaction in-realm)

this doesnt mean, i am that kind of guy. I, personal, think it is stupid to pay for a boost. It's taking the gameplay and progression away from you (i. e. the fun to play).
And of course, i would never hire someone to cut my hedge in the garden. It's not to hard of a work, that i can do by myself, saving me money.

Thats my view on this.

Edited by Lawrenz