FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
adosi

Probably beating a dead horse but...

First off, I bet this is quite a common question so I apologize if this has been answered a hundred times.

My warlock (Adosi on Garrosh US) is item level 534 and single target, self buffed (only Dark Intent) I can sustain ~130k DPS on a training dummy as Destruction. When I reforge, re-gem and spec to Affliction, however, I can barely maintain ~100k DPS.

Is this common? Is Affliction simply not that good?

I used Ask Mr Robot for gems and enchants, proper reforging (i. e.: reforge lite's affliction and destruction presets, haste and mastery emphasis respectively) and have thoroughly read the icy-veins articles for both specs. I am well aware of the necessitiy of DoT applications during trinket procs, etc.

Any insight much appreciated! Thanks.

1) Destruction is top among the specs right now, although as ilvl increases, the difference decreases.

2) Raid buffs make a difference.

3) There is a world of difference, between a single target dummy, and laying down DPS vs in a raid.

4) As long as Mastery > haste | crit, it doesn't really matter, although affliction would favor haste over crit, with Demo and Dest the difference is very little.

5) I think Mr Robot's and others stat weights are a bit wonky, and usually put in my own.  For the most part, that difference will be relatively minor (Like, maybe 500dps tops on paper) but settling in to something that fits my style and comfort level, will be worth a *lot* more.

So I should still prioritize mastery as affliction over haste?

When I did it I went as far as replacing all my 320 mastery gems with 320 haste.

I seem to recall having this same discussion a couple of months ago, and the result really is, mastery > haste.

Haste = fighting with a nerf bat.  Lots of swings, but a lot less damage.

Mastery = fighting with a wooden bat.  Less swings, but a lot more damage per swing.

Balance = fighting with an aluminum bat.  Finding the best breakpoint you can hit (for extra tick of agony, unstable corruption, etc) where mastery is still close to as high as possible, but getting an extra swing in.

Bottom line: Make mastery top priority (well, hit cap *top* priority.  Doesn't really matter how much mastery/crit/haste if missing) and find your comfort zone from there.

Edited by Zilthy

The 5% raid Haste you were missing while testing Affliction was pretty significant.  Haste is important for Affliction's rotation synergy.  Testing DPS at dummies is a lost cause...you can use them to test the fluidity of your rotation, but not the actual bottom line number.  Head to a raid situation for that.

• Like 1