FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Patch 8.0 Pre-Patch Preview: War of Thorns Event

0IvWySC.jpg

War of Thorns is the Battle for Azeroth pre-expansion event that culminates in the burning of Teldrassil. It should be available on live realms the week of July 24. Here's a gameplay preview of the event from PTR with all important information from the Horde perspective.

The following article contains spoilers.

War of Thorns

• Available the week of July 24  through Battle for Azeroth launch.
  • The event had two stages of testing on the PTR and it's possible that they won't be available immediately when Patch 8.0 goes live.
    • Stage #1 ends with the Horde advancing from Ashenvale to Darkshore and unlocking Darkshore World Quests.
    • Stage #2 ends with the burning of the World Tree.
    • Important cinematics are obviously still missing.
  • You can earn the following faction mounts by completing the second part of the pre-expansion event:

Quests

Part One

The Warchief Awaits

The initial quest is offered by Warchief Sylvanas in Undercity. You can ask her why she decided to attack Teldrassil in the first place.

Warchief, may I ask why we want to capture Teldrassil?

Time is not a luxury, we possess, but I respect your desire to know more.

<Sylvanas points to Silithus on the map>.

THIS has forever altered the balance of power in Azeroth.

Deposits of Azerite are being located across the world, $PlayerName. Though we do not yet understand its full potential, it is clear that this substance has vast destructive capability.

What will war look like in twenty years? In a hundred?

How can the Horde hope to defend its borders if the Alliance controls the flow of Azerite?

It is uncertain, Warchief.

What is certain is that the Alliance will use Darnassus as a safe harbor for funneling Azerite into the Eastern Kingdoms. Anduin Wrynn will build powerful new weapons, and sooner or later he will turn them upon our homelands. First he will strike at the Undercity and Silvermoon, then his gaze will fall upon Kalimdor.

For the sake of the Horde's future, we must be the first to act.

By occupying Darnassus, we will control the flow of Azerite and ensure it cannot be used against us. The Alliance will dare not attack its own city for fear of harming civilians.

With a single stroke, we will guarantee generations of peace.

The night elves will fight us at every step.

The kaldorei will defy our occupation... unless we break their spirits.

We must inflict a blow that will show them what is at stake. They need to lose something... someone... in whom they have absolute trust and faith. A symbol of hope.

<The Dark Lady narrows her eyes.>

Malfurion Stormrage must die.

The Warchief Commands

Find High Overlord Saurfang in Northern Barrens.

High Overlord Saurfang: Soldiers of the Horde, ready your blades! Today, we march on the kaldorei!

Orgrimmar Grunt: Lok'tar ogar!

Orgrimmar Grunt: FOR THE HORDE!

A Quick Diversion

Fly to Astranaar in Ashenvale and talk to Lorash.

Everybody Has a Price

Your goal is to poison the kaldorei and disarm Astranaar.

Lorash: First, let me signal the others to begin their assault. After you, $PlayerName. You mark the safe targets, I'll bring them down.

Astranaar Sentinel: My throat... it's closing up!

Astranaar Sentinel: My chest is... I can't breathe!

Lorash: That should do it. How does it feel to single-handedly sack an entire city, $PlayerName?

A Timely Arrival

The Horde forces now advance through Astranaar and Sylvanas praises you for a perfectly executed strike.

Zoram'gar Outpost

Now that the Horde controls Astranaar, Sylvanas tells you that she will continue her hunt for the only creature that can stop your march to victory: Malfurion Stormrage. The next step is to establish a foothold at the base of Darkshore in Zoram'gar Outpost.

Commander, the warchief asks that you prepare your outpost for an incoming army.

Commander Grimfang: Zoram'gar will stand ready! For the Horde!

The warchief needs rations and lodging for an incoming army.

Innkeeper Duras: We are a small outpost, but I will gather what we have. The Warchief and her army will want for nothing- I swear it! Lok'tar ogar!

Warchief Sylvanas Windrunner requires your aid repairing her soldier's weapons.

Dagrun Ragehammer: My forge is always ready, $PlayerName.

Go back to Astranaar and talk to High Overlord Saurfang to proceed with the next quest.

On The Prowl

The objective is to meet Sylvanas near the entrance to Darkshore. You will find her fighting Malfurion and he won't let you pass. He creates a wisp wall, Horde soldiers try to cross it, but they get killed in the process.

Malfurion Stormrage: You will come no further, Banshee Queen!

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Soldiers...No! Do not rush the--!

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Fools... At least now we know how dangerous the wisps can be.

Into the Woods

You will need to defeat 6 Ashenvale Huntresses and Sylvanas tells you that Malfurion will try to hold you back until his fleet returns from Silithus. Until then, his army is too small. You must find a path through the wisp wall.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: There will be nowhere to run when next we meet, Malfurion!

Ripe for the Picking

Go to Zoram'gar Outpost and talk to Saurfang.

A Quick Flyover

Talk to Zarvik Blastwix to fly a machine that will help you destroy wisps.

Nathanos Blightcaller: A wall of wisps? Surely it is nothing our dark rangers and a few demolishers cannot overcome, my lady.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: The scouting party I led to Malfurion underestimated the wisps. They paid the price for doing so.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: We cannot destroy the wisps... not in numbers enough to matter. But we may be able to disperse them.

An Unstoppable Force

Now's the time to get past the wisp barrier and you will meet Sylvanas at the wall.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: It seems the wisps are susceptible to distraction. We will exploit this weakness to get past them.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Saurfang, take a squad into Felwood. Seek a path over the mountain into Darkshore, but leave the siege weapons under my command.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Then it is decided. Saurfang, Nathanos -- you leave at once.

You must now pass through the wall.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: We pass through the wall on my command!

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Brace yourselves...

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Pass through the wall quickly! I cannot hold it much longer!

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Once a breach has been made, the pain is... bearable. Just... give me a moment.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Do not relent, hero! These savage elves would do you no such favor.

Clearing Them Out & A Glaive Misunderstanding

It's time to press on. The objective is to defeat Night Elf forces and glaive throwers in The Master's Glaive.

Blurred Vision

Sentry Owls in the trees are reporting everything they see back to Malfurion. It's up to you to eliminate them along with Frenzied Blackwood Furbolgs.

The Trees Have Ears

Slay the Burning Ancient. A cinematic plays after completing this quest.

Malfurion Stormrage: Sylvanas! Your foul deeds desecrate this sacred place! Andu-falah-dor!

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Malfurion. How gracious of you to join us...

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Who would have guessed that you would come to protect your precious trees?

Malfurion Stormrage: Begone, witch!

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Argh! My eyes! It burns!

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Where did you fly away to, little bird?

Aggressive Inspiration & The Blackwood Den & A Change in Leadership

In the next series of quest, you must attack and capture Blackwood Den by defeating leaders, slaying furbolgs and planting Horde banners.

The Start of Something Good

Meet Sylvanas at Nazj'vel.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Sappers! Gather your gear and follow me! Bring every shredder you have.

Fueling the Horde War Machine & A Very Clear Message

Collect Azerite from 6 Azerite deposits and slay Night Elves that are trying to snag it.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Azerite... With this in our grasp, all who dare to oppose the Horde will fall.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Proceed with caution, champion. It seems the Alliance has beaten us to it.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: That ship must have come from Darnassus... Which means...

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: ...I have a crow to hunt.

A Gift of Azerite

Deliver the collected Azerite to Zarvik Blastwix in Blackwood Den.

Zarvik Blastwix: Oooh, you got me some Azerite? That's the good stuff...

Zarvik Blastwix: Lemme just... hold on a second, will ya?

Zarvik Blastwix: I'll add in a bit of this. Smash it in reeeeal good.

Zarvik Blastwix: A little gunpowder... some fuses and copper chips...

A Wild Ride

You'll arrive at the Wildbend River and fight off Awakened Ancients and kaldorei forces. Sylvanas tells you that the stalemate is unwise to pursue and suggests regrouping at the Blackwood Den.

A Looming Threat

This is the final quest of the first part of the pre-patch event that unlocks World Quests in Darkshore.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Wildbend River is locked in a stalemate, and Malfurion knows it.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: We must stay the course for now.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: I will continue leading our soldiers through the wall while we await word from Saurfang.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: In the meantime, we will do all that we can to keep the kaldorei under pressure.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: We shall not afford them the luxury of a peaceful night's rest. This is war.

Part Two

Saurfang Returns

Find Saurfang in Lor'danel.

High Overlord Saurfang: FOR THE HORDE!

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Saurfang! It's about time.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Look around you, hero! What a lovely sight. The wisps are scattering. One by one, the wall comes crashing down.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Now is the time. The World Tree is ours for the taking! Find Saurfang. We shall finish this once and for all.

No Small Mercy & Seaside Rendezvous & Driving Them Out

Saurfang will offer three quests. You must defeat 15 Lor'danel defenders, Caranne Briarbow and Ariel Stagguard and save 8 scared civilians.

Killer Queen

High Overlord Saurfang: Make haste! The warchief awaits!

High Overlord Saurfang: The warchief faces Stormrage alone! I must...

Malfurion Stormrage: ARGH! Saur...fang?!

High Overlord Saurfang: A dishonorable blow. I... regret it.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Regret nothing. You did well.

High Overlord Saurfang: It was not my place to interfere.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: My victory was inevitable. He was merely wasting my time.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: Finish him and be done with it. Take a moment, if you like... then take his head. Meet me at the World Tree.

Malfurion Stormrage: You have led... your Horde... in service... of death. You will... regret this day...

Tyrande Whisperwind: Malfurion...NO!

Tyrande Whisperwind: You did not kill him, orc. Why?

High Overlord Saurfang: I struck without honor. I did not deserve to end him.

Tyrande Whisperwind: This entire war is without honor. How dare you spill so much innocent blood... for nothing!

High Overlord Saurfang: Not for nothing. We spill blood so that the Horde will endure.

Tyrande Whisperwind: Because you spared Malfurion, I will offer you a choice.

Tyrande Whisperwind: Attempt to stop me from taking him away, and die... or remain there, kneeling in the dirt, and live.

High Overlord Saurfang: You have a choice as well. Take him to Darnassus and both of you will fall when we conquer it... or flee somewhere far from here, so that you both survive.

High Overlord Saurfang: Come, champion. We must follow our warchief to... victory.

After that, you go to Mist's Edge and talk to Sylvanas. A not yet implemented cinematic will play and you will see the burning World Tree in the background and receive your faction mount.

Lady Sylvanas Windrunner: When I sent you on this mission, I did not foresee this outcome. Our attack was meant to end a war before it began... to capture an enemy's home and annihilate their leaders in one stroke. To inflict a wound that would bleed the Alliance dry. We have only partially succeeded. The Alliance will retaliate. They will come for us. For me. For you. But they ARE bleeding. Their anger will prove a weakness, not a strength, in the war to come. Rest while you can. Prepare for the battles ahead. I will have need of you.

Full Gameplay Preview

• Like 3

Ok Holy Crap, the lore has gotten bad in recent years...

...but how in the blue hell is Blizzard calling this morally grey?!?     I would really hate to see their definition of true evil.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Migol said:

...but how in the blue hell is Blizzard calling this morally grey?!?     I would really hate to see their definition of true evil.

It was either Teldrassill or the Stormwind orphanage. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

lets not forget that the alliance will be doing the same thing to Undercity, so nether side is with out fault here.  So sad to see 2 big parts of the game wiped out in the name of greed over a substance that could be easily shared, I mean it is literally the world we stand on how is there not enough to go around that we need to go to war yet again to control it ?

1 hour ago, BlakeArmentrout said:

lets not forget that the alliance will be doing the same thing to Undercity, so nether side is with out fault here.  So sad to see 2 big parts of the game wiped out in the name of greed over a substance that could be easily shared, I mean it is literally the world we stand on how is there not enough to go around that we need to go to war yet again to control it ?

1) The Alliance will be doing the same to Undercity in direct response to the burning of Teldrassil. It's not evil or even morally grey, it's 100% justified retaliation to an unprovoked attack. And 2), the Alliance's position (so far) has been that NO ONE should be mining, collecting or using Azerite. The more you mine it, the faster it kills Azeroth. The Alliance so far hasn't been very interested in collecting the stuff, but the Horde has been gleefully stripmining every last piece of it they can with no regard for what it's doing to Azeroth.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, BlakeArmentrout said:

The Undercity lore wise at least has a minor part of "morally grey" because it at one time was an alliance (human) strong hold. While I don't condone wiping it out, it's far from leveling thunder bluff or silver moon. Which is about what I equate this too. This whole thing paints the horde in a Mist of Pandaria 2.0 light, which isn't good or interesting. 

Edit: also, wouldn't be the first time we invaded the Undercity (again morally grey)

Edited by Laragon

7 hours ago, Migol said:

Sylvanas did not attack because of hatred or anger, but for pure strategic reasons. That's OK for me - this does not make her look like Garrosh Hitlerscream. Saurfang's struggle seems to be completely unrelated thing to the main storyline - he's a moral orc, but this does not make Sylvanas evil. It's just as we know she has no feelings because...well, she's dead.

7 hours ago, BlakeArmentrout said:

I'm sorry I can't agree with that. The forsaken have done a lot of questionable, objectionable things in the past (Wrathgate anyone? There's more of course). Are the night elves perfect, no, but the Forsaken are a lot more disgusting and evil than other other race out there. I mean they're undead and they want to make more undead to bolster their numbers, and they'll do anything they can to make that happen. I'll personally be glad when the Undercity has been liberated and Lordraeron is whole.

Oh, damn. As a Horde player, trying to kill Malfurion after the events of Legion make me feel icky. Oh, well. Allies today might be enemies tomorrow and vise versa. Such is war(craft).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, krapmyself said:

Oh, damn. As a Horde player, trying to kill Malfurion after the events of Legion make me feel icky. Oh, well. Allies today might be enemies tomorrow and vise versa. Such is war(craft).

Look at the bright side: at least after this you won't be offered a quest to rescue him the next time he plays "Archdruid in distress".

Holy fuck this website is Alliance biased to the 100th degree. We haven't even seen the cinematic yet AND Sylvanas's reaction to the tree burning shows that the Horde didn't burn the tree. There is a third party involved or an accident that burns teldrassil. The horde doesn't have anything at Southshore that could burn so a massive tree.

:pre-expansion event that culminates in the Horde burning down Teldrassil.:

11 hours ago, jimboa30 said:

1) The Alliance will be doing the same to Undercity in direct response to the burning of Teldrassil. It's not evil or even morally grey, it's 100% justified retaliation to an unprovoked attack. And 2), the Alliance's position (so far) has been that NO ONE should be mining, collecting or using Azerite. The more you mine it, the faster it kills Azeroth. The Alliance so far hasn't been very interested in collecting the stuff, but the Horde has been gleefully stripmining every last piece of it they can with no regard for what it's doing to Azeroth.

Not true at all. Blizz is showing you what they want you to see. The Alliance is also collecting and storing the Azerite. Just like with the broken shore blizz is doing the cinematics such that players on both sides will want the other factions blood. If you watch both sides cinematics then you will understand and calm down. So many silly Alliance players, always on their high horse. Dont forget many Alliance leaders are warmongering hateful bigots.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Migol said:

How is it not morally grey? Horde occupies Teldrassil.... Night elves decide they dont like that and fight. Their deaths are their own doing. Not the hordes. Killing Malf to stop the night elves from fighting back means only 1 person has to die, and we all know cry baby Malf deserves it at this point. Teldrassil wasn't supposed to burn. The cinematic will show how that happens. I highly doubt blizz is going "the horde did it" route.

Full on evil is if Sylvanas just went Hitler and said "kill all night elves and burn their corpses!"

Edited by MackDye

10 hours ago, Laragon said:

This whole thing paints the horde in a Mist of Pandaria 2.0 light, which isn't good or interesting.

Amen.  Lazy storyboarding.  I'm not one to normally throw that around and give the devs their due but jeez guys...  Its only been like 2 expansions.  

1 hour ago, MackDye said:

There is a third party involved or an accident that burns teldrassil.

Your assertions the horde DID NOT do it, are as accurate as the ones that say they DID.  

And at least the ones that say they DID do it match Sylvanas' current character arc through Before the Storm.  

She wanted to enslave her own sisters, for pete sake.  But no, burning down a tree-elf hole and killing a puny archdrui of the entire world is totes out of the question.

How is it not morally grey? Horde occupies Teldrassil.... Night elves decide they dont like that and fight. Their deaths are their own doing. Not the hordes.

Did... Did you just say the occuppied citizenry were responsible for their own deaths for RESISTING a forcible occupation??

Edited by PatrickHenry
  • Like 3

How is killing Malfurion and taking Teldrassil supposed to end this war early? It clearly just acts to piss off the alliance and force them to act. This makes no absolutely no sense. Gah this story just gets more terrible by the day. 

18 hours ago, jimboa30 said:

Filthy Horde!  burn them all!

19 hours ago, jimboa30 said:

1) The Alliance were going to try and take back Undercity eventually anyway, perhaps the Teldrassil thing is the nail in the coffin for making that decision but it was going to happen. 2) The Alliance's position isn't that NO ONE should be farming it, its that no HORDE should be farming it, and the Horde are desperately scrambling to get it all because they know sooner or later the Alliance will find a use for it to wipe them out. However I do agree with the sentiment that the more they mine the more destroyed the planet becomes, but if real life is any indication this ideal will soon be lost in the arms race to make new tech from the recourse.  At the End of the day though I am sure this whole thing will be revealed as a big misdirection and we will learn nether side had a hand in starting this war, it will most likely be as its been said a "third party" trying to destroy both sides by exploiting there long history of bad blood and have them wipe each other out.

Edited by BlakeArmentrout

Oh boy, you horde justifiers are so incredibly biased. Apparantly it's alright to invade and occupy another peoples homeland and then butcher them en masse when they try to kick out the foreign invaders and stopping the unprovoked attack and defend themselves and their property. Apparantly it's completely alright to commit horrendous war crimes if it is "strategically sound" and apparantly it's alright to committ an unprovoked attack and butcher civilians and soldiers alike on their own soil (with chemical weapons nonetheless) for something that they might do in the future. Are you even listening to yourselves? 

I can't even believe my eyes to be honest. You people lack any self awareness. It's a damn good thing none of you are and never will be anywhere near a position of power, you would quickly become tyrants and war criminals with these mental gymnastics. Like holy hell, i don't think i've seen mental gymnastics of this degree ever before in my life. It's disheartening to say the least.

You could so easily just swap out the names of the people involved in your comments to some of history's greatest monsters and criminals. Do yourselves a favour and take a look at your comments and think a bit before posting. God damn.

I actually used to like the horde. The old horde, the one who still had a shred of honor. I have several capped horde characters, but after all this BfA writing i can assure you they're getting faction changed or left to collect dust. These actions are so morally objectionable from an objective standpoint and downright disgusting that i honestly just feel icky playing the faction at this point.

Edited by Hjaldren

5 hours ago, Hjaldren said:

Oh boy, you horde justifiers are so incredibly biased. Apparantly it's alright to invade and occupy another peoples homeland and then butcher them en masse when they try to kick out the foreign invaders and stopping the unprovoked attack and defend themselves and their property. Apparantly it's completely alright to commit horrendous war crimes if it is "strategically sound" and apparantly it's alright to committ an unprovoked attack and butcher civilians and soldiers alike on their own soil (with chemical weapons nonetheless) for something that they might do in the future. Are you even listening to yourselves? 

I can't even believe my eyes to be honest. You people lack any self awareness. It's a damn good thing none of you are and never will be anywhere near a position of power, you would quickly become tyrants and war criminals with these mental gymnastics. Like holy hell, i don't think i've seen mental gymnastics of this degree ever before in my life. It's disheartening to say the least.

You could so easily just swap out the names of the people involved in your comments to some of history's greatest monsters and criminals. Do yourselves a favour and take a look at your comments and think a bit before posting. God damn.

I actually used to like the horde. The old horde, the one who still had a shred of honor. I have several capped horde characters, but after all this BfA writing i can assure you they're getting faction changed or left to collect dust. These actions are so morally objectionable from an objective standpoint and downright disgusting that i honestly just feel icky playing the faction at this point.

Ehmm...maybe you should take a break and go outside sometime,into the real world!

The more I think about it, the more it starts to make sense that the Alliance could be written as taking increasingly more violent and radical steps to fight the Horde - enter Jaina and the naval powerhouse of Kul Tiras - and both factions end up becoming virtually indistinguishable from one another. Even if one side was more justified than the other, war changes everything over time. Perhaps this is the underlying narrative they're trying to convey here, and at the end of the road, we'll be seeing the Horde - moulded by years of war into a coalition of convenience that has become a family that look after theirs and their own seeking peace, and the Alliance, who've went from strength to strength after every trial but curbing that idealism and formal regal stance. 

On 7/6/2018 at 1:30 PM, Reldey said:

How is killing Malfurion and taking Teldrassil supposed to end this war early? It clearly just acts to piss off the alliance and force them to act. This makes no absolutely no sense. Gah this story just gets more terrible by the day. 

It's supposed to remove the Alliance advantage of using Teldrassil as a staging point for Silithus. Both factions are after azurite,  so it's natural for the Horde to make a move to make it harder for the Alliance to collect it.  And since it's natural to assume that Stormrage will put himself in the way of any attempt to remove Darnassus,  taking him out the logically necessary prerequisite move.

anyone else sees old god pulling sylvanas strings ?

remember vlojin made sylvanas warchief because of a vision! who love to play with those ? :)

take a step back and look at it

on horde side sylvanas is always have been the immoral one. trade prince is very shade and very eager to wage war for profit. who is trolls leader again ?!. surfang is moral but a faithfull soldier wont defy warchief if she goes to war. all remains from horde side to put an all out war is baine and lorthemar(maybe).

greymane is already hellbound on revenge. velen is no longer the peace loving priest he was. anduin is hellbound on revenge. dwarf leader is practically dark iron and gnomes dont usually say much in any matter. jaina the main reason for peace between faction is well... you know. that only leaves tyrande as a wise leader with a clear head which no longer be the case after this.

this wont be MOP 2, there just garrosh (orcs) wanted war now EVERYONE is set for war !!

i predict things happening in thunder bluff ! maybe grimtotems will come to power but these are not random moves.

Edited by blackstar128

Warnings have been issued for posts in reply to this news article. If you have a heated discussion, we are perfectly OK to let it continue as long as it stays on topic (within reason, of course). Do not stray from the topic and start to insult other users.