FORUMS
Valks

Arcane Mage 8.3

8 hours ago, Guest yalla said:

In the Rotation Priority list, i was kinda confused and did not understand correctly if you're supposed to use clearcasting  proccs during AP, also i think this is different in the "burn phase" section and the "opening sequence", which should be the same ? maybe you could clear that up in your next optimization? Thanks.

You should not use Arcane Missiles during arcane Power, even if Clearcasting procs.

I just noticed I forgot to update the opening sequence for that change, thanks for pointing it out! I will update it.

Guest Dpsproject

Hello again Dutchmagoz,

So i know talents and azerith's traits are situational. But Uldit is coming can u recommend me the best talents for this raid and azerith's trait. 

And i have a huge problem of mana on each packs in dg i have to regen however i have 338 ilvl and 21% mastery how do u do?

Thx for all

1 hour ago, Guest Dpsproject said:

Hello again Dutchmagoz,

So i know talents and azerith's traits are situational. But Uldit is coming can u recommend me the best talents for this raid and azerith's trait. 

And i have a huge problem of mana on each packs in dg i have to regen however i have 338 ilvl and 21% mastery how do u do?

Thx for all

Hi,

I will be updating the Boss-by-boss strategy page with Uldir specific information when it's closer to Uldir being out. In terms of what traits to focus on before then, Galvanizing Spark is probably the most important one, but I suggest holding on to all your 340+ azerite gear.

In terms of Mana in dungeons, when you start dropping low on mana, you should make sure you are doing as I suggest on the Rules of Threes talent: When you reach 3 Arcane Charges from Arcane Explosion, you can use 1 Arcane Blast to get the 4th Arcane Charge for free, thanks to Rule of Threes. Also make sure you always use arcane barrage on 4 stacks in aoe situations, and don't be afraid to use evocation during trash pulls. Aside from that, make sure you drink out of combat whenever you can.

Guest Dpsproject

Hello again Dutchmagoz u know what ? I have still some questions ?

- When we're on CD(for me berserk + AP + spyglass) should i ignore clearcastings and just spam AB (x4) ?

- And when im in burning phase should i keep spamming AB till oom or i stop when my cd are up and do the cycle 4x AB then arcane barrage etc... ?

Thx a lot

3 hours ago, Guest Dpsproject said:

Hello again Dutchmagoz u know what ? I have still some questions ?

- When we're on CD(for me berserk + AP + spyglass) should i ignore clearcastings and just spam AB (x4) ?

- And when im in burning phase should i keep spamming AB till oom or i stop when my cd are up and do the cycle 4x AB then arcane barrage etc... ?

Thx a lot

You should ONLY ignore Clearcasting / Arcane Missiles during Arcane Power. So yes, when you got Berserk + AP + spyglass active, you ignore Clearcasting / AMs.

You keep burning mana until you're out of mana, and then evocate to full mana. At which point you continue burning for a bit longer until like 60% mana, at which point you try to stay around 60% mana until your cooldowns are back up.

Guest PIE

A quick note, why is Presence of Mind cast after arcane power and not pre-cast before the fight? It doesn't have an expire time (and while it doesn't have a GCD involved either, it is another button press). In fact, should it not be cast on cd for the most part?

Guest SomeMage
1 hour ago, Guest PIE said:

A quick note, why is Presence of Mind cast after arcane power and not pre-cast before the fight? It doesn't have an expire time (and while it doesn't have a GCD involved either, it is another button press). In fact, should it not be cast on cd for the most part?

Presence of MindPresence of Mind is off the GCD, meaning you should use the Pulltimer to precast Arcane BlastArcane Blast instead. Also it triggers Rule of ThreesRule of Threes, which you might waste by pressing it on CD outside of fights.

Guest SomeMage

Do we already know which Spec will be the to-go for Uldir? Frost is clearly going to be No1 for M+ and I assume for raiding it's going to be ST=>Arcane, Cleave=>Frost, but I'd like to hear your opinion too.

Also, were to you get your current (!) BIS-list from? I really don't want to sim every possible upgrade individually.

4 hours ago, Guest SomeMage said:

Presence of MindPresence of Mind is off the GCD, meaning you should use the Pulltimer to precast Arcane BlastArcane Blast instead. Also it triggers Rule of ThreesRule of Threes, which you might waste by pressing it on CD outside of fights.

This is basically correct, however, I updated the Presence of Mind usage a bit recently which should be deployed soon.

The optimal way to use Presence of Mind is:

Cast Presence of Mind if Rune of Power or Arcane Power would run out before you can finish your next Arcane Blast

4 hours ago, Guest SomeMage said:

Do we already know which Spec will be the to-go for Uldir? Frost is clearly going to be No1 for M+ and I assume for raiding it's going to be ST=>Arcane, Cleave=>Frost, but I'd like to hear your opinion too.

Also, were to you get your current (!) BIS-list from? I really don't want to sim every possible upgrade individually.

There will be a balancing patch right before Mythic Uldir comes out, so saying what spec balance will be like is very hard right now. However, your opinion of Arcane for ST and Frost for Cleave seems likely with current tuning.

Arcane will be very viable in terms of damage for Mythic+, however the 65% aoe slow for frost is hard to give up for a lot of groups so people may sitll want to play frost for that utility.

Guest Dpsproject

Hello Dutchmagoz, it's me again. Sorry to spam u but i try to enter in very tryhard roster and wish optimize my mage.

For now, i have 339 ilvl 5785 intel 13% crit 13% haste 19% mastery 4% versatility

i have a choice to do in my trinkets:

-Zandalar emblem (340) + spyglass (325)

-zandalar + crest of the threatening aspirant :143 versatility +64 ponction activ: +1148 intel for 15s with 2min cd (340 titan forged)

-crest + spygalls

What is the best set up?

and i tried a a hard pull (3/4min) on mannequin  and got 8k5 dps it is really weak no?

Thx a lot

Guest Lechuck

I have 2 doubts about the guide:

-On the burn phase: why should i cast Arcane Power instead of Presence of Mind first? It seems to me i would be losing some (even if it's tiny, since PoM is on a different cooldown) AP time.

-Also on the burn phase: is it really recommended to use Arcane Missiles when having Clearcasting when under the effects of Arcane Power? I understand wanting to spend the Clearcasting, but since it's mana free you are "losing" the opportunity to save mana because of AP. if you save cearcasting for when AP is over, you can salvage some more mana to continue casting.

4 hours ago, Guest Dpsproject said:

What is the best set up?

I'm not Dutch, but the answer to this question is almost certainly to sim it. Raidbots is very user-friendly, so using their top gear simulation option should give you the answer to this question. 

https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/topgear

If you are looking for a general answer of which is better, the Bloodmallet sims that are linked on the gear page should be helpful for that. 

11 hours ago, Guest Lechuck said:

I have 2 doubts about the guide:

-On the burn phase: why should i cast Arcane Power instead of Presence of Mind first? It seems to me i would be losing some (even if it's tiny, since PoM is on a different cooldown) AP time.

-Also on the burn phase: is it really recommended to use Arcane Missiles when having Clearcasting when under the effects of Arcane Power? I understand wanting to spend the Clearcasting, but since it's mana free you are "losing" the opportunity to save mana because of AP. if you save cearcasting for when AP is over, you can salvage some more mana to continue casting.

You should use Presence of Mind only at the end of Arcane Power, to fit in an extra Arcane Blast. Keep in mind, Presence of Mind is not on the global cooldown so you don't lose any time from casting it. 

You should not use Arcane Missiles during Arcane Power. (unless running Amplification talent) This is also described in the rotation section of the guide. 

Guest PIE
23 hours ago, Guest SomeMage said:

Presence of MindPresence of Mind doesn't trigger Rule of ThreesRule of Threes. Instead it makes your next two Arcane BlastArcane Blast instant cast. Which means that you will get Rule of ThreesRule of Threes whenever you cast the two Arcane BlastArcane Blast (and a third one), not when you cast presence of mind. I'm not saying cast it during the pull-meter, I'm saying cast it before the pull meter because it has no expire time (cooldown starts on the second Arcane BlastArcane Blast cast). Charged UpCharged Up and Presence of MindPresence of Mind both have a one minute or less cooldown, which means that by the time you actually need them (in burn phase, you should be consistently be at 4 charges) so in the conserve phase, they should both be up. If used on cooldown Presence of MindPresence of Mind would line up perfectly with Arcane PowerArcane Power (1 min to 2 min cd).

2 hours ago, Dutchmagoz said:

You should use Presence of Mind only at the end of Arcane Power, to fit in an extra Arcane Blast. Keep in mind, Presence of Mind is not on the global cooldown so you don't lose any time from casting it. 

You would lose a tiny amount of time since you can't cast Presence of MindPresence of Mind during another cast, you need to press the button between casts. It really doesn't affect dps, but it feels a bit clunky.

Another quick question, should we be draining arcane charges before boss fights to get the Rule of ThreesRule of Threes proc? If so, (I don't know the actual dps difference) would it be better to cast Charged UpCharged Up before the pull (save on that gcd and get the cooldown started early)? Rule of ThreesRule of Threes should last long enough for it to still be up even if you cast Charged UpCharged Up 5 seconds before the fight starts

1 hour ago, Guest PIE said:

Presence of MindPresence of Mind doesn't trigger Rule of ThreesRule of Threes. Instead it makes your next two Arcane BlastArcane Blast instant cast. Which means that you will get Rule of ThreesRule of Threes whenever you cast the two Arcane BlastArcane Blast (and a third one), not when you cast presence of mind. I'm not saying cast it during the pull-meter, I'm saying cast it before the pull meter because it has no expire time (cooldown starts on the second Arcane BlastArcane Blast cast). Charged UpCharged Up and Presence of MindPresence of Mind both have a one minute or less cooldown, which means that by the time you actually need them (in burn phase, you should be consistently be at 4 charges) so in the conserve phase, they should both be up. If used on cooldown Presence of MindPresence of Mind would line up perfectly with Arcane PowerArcane Power (1 min to 2 min cd).

You would lose a tiny amount of time since you can't cast Presence of MindPresence of Mind during another cast, you need to press the button between casts. It really doesn't affect dps, but it feels a bit clunky.

Another quick question, should we be draining arcane charges before boss fights to get the Rule of ThreesRule of Threes proc? If so, (I don't know the actual dps difference) would it be better to cast Charged UpCharged Up before the pull (save on that gcd and get the cooldown started early)? Rule of ThreesRule of Threes should last long enough for it to still be up even if you cast Charged UpCharged Up 5 seconds before the fight starts

In dungeons you should use Charged Up right before a boss pull if you didn't save 4 charges from trash. (Assuming you run Charged Up in dungeons)

On raidbosses you should never ever use Charged Up before the pull, because when you enter raid combat your Arcane Charges get reset to 0, so you will have used Charged Up for nothing.

Guest Dpsproject

Hi i have a question about CD !

When i have CD with 1m30 like AP, trinkets with 2min and berserk with 3min

I full cd at the open ok, but how manage them after? Should i AP as soon as possible and then trinket only after? Or should i wait AP+trinket? 

Thx

9 hours ago, Guest Dpsproject said:

Hi i have a question about CD !

When i have CD with 1m30 like AP, trinkets with 2min and berserk with 3min

I full cd at the open ok, but how manage them after? Should i AP as soon as possible and then trinket only after? Or should i wait AP+trinket? 

Thx

You should always use AP as often as you can. However if in some raid situations you need extra burst for mechanics or so you might want to save it and line it up with another CD like trinkets.

Guest Vlekkie

Has anyone tested a build using 3x anomolous impact and focussing more on arcane missiles?

On 8/31/2018 at 10:07 AM, Guest Vlekkie said:

Has anyone tested a build using 3x anomolous impact and focussing more on arcane missiles?

Yes, this has been tested. This was even the best build for a short period of time on beta, but they nerfed the trait hard that it is no longer the best trait, and it's definitely no longer worth casting Arcane Missiles without a Clearcasting proc.

Has anyone heard of having some kind of haste break point, around 7-8% at a iLvl 313 (i'm guessing higher at a higher iLvl)? I ask because it seems when I sim for stat weights after going to 7% it switches me to put Crit first over Haste but when I drop below 7% it switches back to Haste over Crit so I just wondering if this is what you all are seeing?

I'm also getting some sim where Versa is going above Mastery, is this correct or am I just siming wrong?

15 hours ago, Tigersharrk said:

Has anyone heard of having some kind of haste break point, around 7-8% at a iLvl 313 (i'm guessing higher at a higher iLvl)? I ask because it seems when I sim for stat weights after going to 7% it switches me to put Crit first over Haste but when I drop below 7% it switches back to Haste over Crit so I just wondering if this is what you all are seeing?

I'm also getting some sim where Versa is going above Mastery, is this correct or am I just siming wrong?

There are indeed some haste breakpoints. The first one is around 7% and some come later as well. You should sim top gear to figure out your best items in regards to these breakpoints and other stats.

Versatility can definitely be above mastery, it all depends on how much you have of both of them.

Guest Adr3nalinE

First day in uldir in my raid was for mages terrible especially arcane maybe its just about gear im not sure but they hit low dps and arcane cant do much even in burn phase and no procs of missiles at all. 

Guest Lethanjask

Hey, in the rotation part of your guide you use a lot of superfluous steps that have "if talented" in them.

Some other guides really take advantage of Icy Veins' built-in system that allows the person reading to mark which talents they have selected, and get a priority list without redundencies in it. See the Ele Shaman guide for example: https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/arcane-mage-pve-dps-rotation-cooldowns-abilities

I think that would really improve the legibility of your guide, because right now it's pretty daunting for new players, also because you haven't split out single target and AoE, and instead have a big wall with everything in it.