FORUMS
Valks

Fire Mage 8.3

4 hours ago, Snobgoblin said:

I am confused, shouldn't crit be the best stat for us always? 

315 ilvl here, here's my stat weights according to simbot:

Intellect - 1.32

Haste - 0.73

Mastery - 0.72

Versatility -  0.71

Critical Strike - 0.59

Now that we have Critical Mass fishing for the first crit is very easy, and with Firestarter and Searing Touch as our tier 1 talents, there's no real need to stack crit so hard at all in PvE. But if you focus on PvP then you need high crit so you can reliably start a chain of instant pyros off of Scorch.

Edited by Brutalis

As a response to the couple of questions above: Why is Critical Strike Fire's worst stat?

This due to a variety of reasons:

• Critical Mass giving us lots of free initial crit
  • Searing Touch giving us guaranteed crits below 35%, or Firestarter above 90%
  • Combustion giving us guaranteed crits
  • Bad luck protection in the form of Enhanced Pyrotechnics giving us free crit when you don't crit with Fireball

Guest Amordren

Hello, and thanks for the great guide! I had a question about the opening sequence - are we supposed to use Meteor in there? I run Firestarter... so Fireball/Pyro to 90%, Rune of Power...then Meteor?... then combustion, and then the usual chain until done.

"Ability priority list" and "Combustion usage" say to use Meteor with Rune/Combustion, but the "Opening Sequence" does not. Seems like a lot of damage, but it feels clunky and potentially wastes a second or two of Rune/combustion.

Guest Schrodinger

With the recent patch change to the duplication Incineration trait is it still rated as highly as previously? or has a new trait surpassed it? 

On 9/5/2018 at 9:39 AM, Guest Schrodinger said:

With the recent patch change to the duplication Incineration trait is it still rated as highly as previously? or has a new trait surpassed it? 

With the most recent changes, a multitide of other traits now are better than Duplicative Incinieration.

I will be updating my guide today for the new traits.

Guest Fatheros

Frustrated with the fact that i outdps Frost mages in Dungeons until they cast the easy button "Frost Orb" Is really negating all the hard work of the Life of a Fire mage... 

Guest Mandevus
On 9/6/2018 at 11:17 AM, Dutchmagoz said:

With the most recent changes, a multitide of other traits now are better than Duplicative Incinieration.

I will be updating my guide today for the new traits.

Hi

First of all: sorry for my english ?

I have a little doubt about the talents. I'm not sure about wich talent is better: firestarter or searing touch.

I mean, i heared that with the "duplicative incineration" is better to use firestarter but somebody said that this trait got a nerf.

So... is better to use searing touch right now instead of firestarter? And how should i to rotate with that talent? 

https://worldofwarcraft.com/es-es/game/talent-calculator#mage/fire/talents=1231123

It's the talents that i'm using currently but i'm not sure if it's the best choices. If u can help me with that doubt and the talents in general i will be so grateful.

Thank you so much

19 hours ago, Guest Mandevus said:

Hi

First of all: sorry for my english ?

I have a little doubt about the talents. I'm not sure about wich talent is better: firestarter or searing touch.

I mean, i heared that with the "duplicative incineration" is better to use firestarter but somebody said that this trait got a nerf.

So... is better to use searing touch right now instead of firestarter? And how should i to rotate with that talent? 

https://worldofwarcraft.com/es-es/game/talent-calculator#mage/fire/talents=1231123

It's the talents that i'm using currently but i'm not sure if it's the best choices. If u can help me with that doubt and the talents in general i will be so grateful.

Thank you so much

Searing Touch is the best talent. The rest of your talents are perfect! (Fire single target)

Searing Touch changes your rotation only below 35%, at which point, you simply replace Fireball in your rotation for Scorch.

Hi Dutch, I have another question. How the rotation looks like when the enemy is under 30% and we have scorch talent?

Is it:

1) assuming pyro doesn’t crit 

scorch - scorch - pyro - scorch - scorch - pyro etc?

2) assuming pyro crit

scorch - scorch - pyro - scorch - pyro - scorch - pyro?

and how does fireblast comes into play?

do we cast in between scorchs to maximise damage? I’m a bit confused.

thank you!

Edited by Nevul

On 10/5/2018 at 1:51 PM, Guest JamesMMI said:

Hi, im a itlvl329 fire mague and I just simulated my character and the results are: Intellect 1.48, crit 1.05, versatility 0.98, haste 0.94 and mastery 0.93

Maybe its because im using piromaniac first talent instead of firestarter (i will change it and simulate it again)

https://www.raidbots.com/simbot/report/4mTY8hotFaxK7nVN58mZcM

Your talents and your current gear will have a big impact on the stat weights, so those weights seem fine.

Guest Etikx
On 9/16/2018 at 10:34 PM, Nevul said:

Hi Dutch, I have another question. How the rotation looks like when the enemy is under 30% and we have scorch talent?

Is it:

1) assuming pyro doesn’t crit 

scorch - scorch - pyro - scorch - scorch - pyro etc?

2) assuming pyro crit

scorch - scorch - pyro - scorch - pyro - scorch - pyro?

and how does fireblast comes into play?

do we cast in between scorchs to maximise damage? I’m a bit confused.

thank you!

I'm sure the Rotation below 30% should be :

1)
Assuming Pyro doesn’t crit 
Scorch - Fire Blast - Pyro - Scorch - Fire Blast - Pyro - Scorch - Fire Blast - Pyro

2) Assuming Pyro always crit
Scorch - Pyro - Scorch - Pyro - Scorch - Pyro

3) Assuming Pyro Crit 1 times out of 2
Scorch - Fire Blast - Pyro crit - Scorch - Pyro - Scorch - Fire Blast - Pyro crit - Scorch - Pyro

Fire Blast should be use when your Pyro doesn't Crit to replace the crit
On combustion, it doesn't change of the normal Combustion phase. Just keep in mind to keep at least 2 Fire Blast before
That's my thoughs

Guest disdain18

first of all i love this site and since i first found it i always searched icy veins to try a new spec. Even pecs that i play since mop i visit this site first to understand how i should adapt to the changes. But to be honest this guide is incomplete. It feels like some sections are left untouched since Legion and i cant find basic info like opener with rune of power and meteor and where to use it.(talents recommended by this guide btw). i can see details about meteor ,i can see how to use rop before combustion, i can see how to use rop and meteor,but the combination of all 3 is nowhere to be found.

1 hour ago, Guest disdain18 said:

first of all i love this site and since i first found it i always searched icy veins to try a new spec. Even pecs that i play since mop i visit this site first to understand how i should adapt to the changes. But to be honest this guide is incomplete. It feels like some sections are left untouched since Legion and i cant find basic info like opener with rune of power and meteor and where to use it.(talents recommended by this guide btw). i can see details about meteor ,i can see how to use rop before combustion, i can see how to use rop and meteor,but the combination of all 3 is nowhere to be found.

It seems to me that the priority list on here is a bit scuffed. I'd recommend taking a look at both the wowhead guide and the guide on the Altered Time forum for the time being. It's generally a good idea to use a variety of different source and then figure out what works best for you.

Guest disdain18

unfortunately there is no perfect guide right now in any site. I ve found out most things that work for me , but all fire guides right now seem outdated, missing important info on how u should play the spec. mythic + guide is almost non-existant and raid guide is incomplete in all 3 sites mentioned above. I still think icy veins is the best of the three but that doesnt mean its good and updated. I would like to highlight again the fact that i love this site and always have since mop (when i started playing wow), and this comment is not meant to be toxic ,just a friendly advice for operators to try and keep up the good work and update the guides provided and for players who need advice to not take this site too seriously and try to learn by testing things by themselves as well ? still a decent guide to start off with but incomplete to master the fire spec ?

Guest Niv

Hi,

I don't think these are right.  I mean, maybe.. but you're right.. one starts to outweigh the other and then can be tilted in favor of the spec. For me, it's:

int

crit

mastery

haste

..and I'm 381...

12 hours ago, Guest Niv said:

I don't think these are right.  I mean, maybe.. but you're right.. one starts to outweigh the other and then can be tilted in favor of the spec.

I assume you are talking about the stat priority shown in the guide. As stated, the values are very close, so the priority can easily switch. Generalized priority lists are a rough starting point at best. At worst, you get something like Noxxic's Pawn strings....

You did the right thing by figuring out your own character's stat weights. Always sim your own character with your specific gear and talent choices.

Guest Guest

Hi guys,

For PVP fire mage I had this idea. What you guys think about the idea of not taking shimmer but the other talent which give you a blazing barrier when you blink. If you also pick the azerite trait which gives your blazing barrier a ~9k boost. If you time it well you basicly have every 7 second a 45k shield when you blink or just cast the shield.  

21 hours ago, Guest Guest said:

Hi guys,

For PVP fire mage I had this idea. What you guys think about the idea of not taking shimmer but the other talent which give you a blazing barrier when you blink. If you also pick the azerite trait which gives your blazing barrier a ~9k boost. If you time it well you basicly have every 7 second a 45k shield when you blink or just cast the shield.  

This isn't a PvP-focused guide, but I'd say that timing it right doesn't really work in PvP. You can't waste your blink just to try keep uptime on shields. It makes you an easy target for any stun-CC, putting you in a horrible situation if you get swapped onto with no Blink available. That shield is worth far less than the distance you can create or stun you can remove.

Guest Abe

Why hasn't this been updated to reflect BoD? I say this because it recommends using Uldir gear....c'mon icy veins,,,

On 3/13/2019 at 7:21 PM, Guest Abe said:

Why hasn't this been updated to reflect BoD? I say this because it recommends using Uldir gear....c'mon icy veins,,,

I'll let Dutch know and get it updated. He must have overlooked it in the updates, as it is not an actual gear list from Uldir, so likely left it as-is for pre-raid. Sorry for the error!

Guest Once

Maybe I’ve missed this somewhere I don’t see in the notes about shimmer giving you two charges. Basically two blinks off global cool down. It made the difference in me picking it when I picked it on accident one day.

On 4/19/2019 at 12:35 AM, Guest Once said:

Maybe I’ve missed this somewhere I don’t see in the notes about shimmer giving you two charges. Basically two blinks off global cool down. It made the difference in me picking it when I picked it on accident one day.

Will get this added, thanks!

Guest whodunnit

just noticed and bewildered by the fire mage trait wildfire, gives 768 critical strike rating for 10 secs  when you activate combustion, when combustion gives you 100% critical strike rating for the same 10 seconds , am i missing something ?