FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Valks

Frost Mage 8.3

On 8/10/2019 at 2:31 PM, Guest Wrath said:

I spent about an hour on the target dummy after putting together a weakaura for this. I found that at max range, I needed to begin my GS cast at 2 stacks (ticking upwards) of Incanter's in order for it to impact the target at 5 stacks. It's very hard to get right, but maybe with practice.

I mean IF is 1/sec, so it'll be cast time+travel time ahead of 5 stacks. Haste and distance throw wrenches in it.

That said, there is an aura for this set up, that takes into consideration Haste at least, I just have to see if the author is okay with publishing to a wider audience.

Guest Fxate

I'm curious on if any tests have been done regarding the use of counterspell and shimmer during the GCD/while casting due to how the Lucid Dreams passive works.

Since Lucid Dreams can proc from both of these abilities it should theoretically be a dps increase to use counterspell during the gcd if you do not already have the buff procced with the hope that it causes one. The same should be true of shimmer. As long as you don't have need of those abilities (counterspell is very rarely needed) it may be worth using them.

As it stands, I'm also spamming Slow Fall up until our pre-pull so as to stack Icicles before the encounter starts.

Am I wasting my time with this stuff?

So the proc is a flat 7% chance. Over a 6 minute fight, you'll gain 1 Icicle on average from Counterspell. Shimmer is about the same. While technically a gain, it's so minor as to be irrelevant. That's also not considering that it won't be quite on cooldown due to cast times shoving it slightly off, and the general desire to not want to Counterspell between hard casts in case it interrupts your cast.

So I mean, it's a gain? Kinda? Shorter than 6 minutes it's sub-1.0 average Icicle gain.

Pre-pull is valid if you're sitting around long enough, although fairly rare to see anything above 2 Icicles. Keep in mind that you're still waiting for Brain Freeze, and they'll have a 1 minute timer from when they generated. I don't have hard numbers on it, sadly. But you're not doing anything else, so you may as well. The gain is going to also be fairly minor, as are most pre-pull/opener shenanigans.

do you still play the game Kuni ? Frost seems so unbelievable far behind that its cringe-worthy if someone talks about it playing it in 8.3

Edited by Vyro

On 12/29/2019 at 6:46 AM, Vyro said:

do you still play the game Kuni ? Frost seems so unbelievable far behind that its cringe-worthy if someone talks about it playing it in 8.3

I do, yes. Guild's just on break for the holidays. And it has been further behind when I've played it in Mythic progression than it is in 8.3, such as WoD's entire duration.

I wouldn't really call 3% (tentative numbers for initial results of PTR) behind Fire's ST "cringe-worthy" either. Unless you want to make the argument that everyone's going to play Arcane, but I wouldn't take that bet.

@Kuni

Love the guide/tips as much as I'm loving frost. Appreciate all the work you've put into this. I'm having some strange results with sims and am not sure where to turn.

For instance a 475 mh item that has mastery/vers sims far below an item with haste/vers. I'd like to always trust the sim but things like this just puzzle me. 

Forgot to mention: GS/no ice lance build 

Do you have any recommendations? 

Edited by Ryanboost

You would have to toss me the sim before I could make any real judgement call.

If I had to guess blindly, you're lacking either Masterful corruptions or Flash Freeze traits. But as I said, without the sim in front of me I can't say for sure.

On 7/14/2019 at 1:45 AM, Kuni said:

No problem.

And they will, it's just a matter of when. The Mythic tuning is the perfect time.

This didn’t age all to well Kuni ? 

Bullshit for Azeroth is almost over and even in pre-patch we will deal with it...

1 hour ago, Vyro said:

This didn’t age all to well Kuni ? 

Bullshit for Azeroth is almost over and even in pre-patch we will deal with it...

Yeaaaaah. Kinda weird though, they've actively worked against noIL becoming a thing in the past. I'm legitimately surprised.

I just finished a move and getting back up and running. SimC is baseline working for SL, so I'm about to start in on checking what we're playing in prepatch. Flash Freeze and the lack of SL's legendaries/conduits might preserve GS gameplay until launch proper, but I need to sim and find out.