FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Valks

Discipline Priest 8.3

7 hours ago, Mend said:

So, the phrasing "1 gcd saved every minute" stems from the 1 less DoT cast per minute. Because each Penance bolt would add 1 second to your DoT, you'd essentially save one GCD of a cast you would normally have over one minutes time. 

Assuming you'd cast Penance on cooldown (which right now seems a bit less than ideal because Penance seems a bit weak... hoping they buff it otherwise the guide needs some tweaks :- /), you would cast it once every 9 seconds. That's roughly 6 Penance casts over 1 minute. If you take the seconds gained (assuming Castigation, a weaker talent than others in the tier, mind you) you would gain an extra 24 seconds of DoT time, essentially replacing one full duration DoT, thus the 1 extra GCD saved that I refer to.

Hopefully that explains it a bit better.

Thanks! Math was never my fav subject ?

It all makes sense now.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Ambroosia said:

Hello somebody plz help me! Can tell me stat weight for pawn for Disc priest? Thans Anbroosia

We're planning to release a spreadsheet for stat weights very soon. I'll be sure to link it in the guide when it's ready!

Guest Rami

All the Azerite traits for discipline are so crazy underwhelming compared to other classes/specs, or did i miss something?

Guest Vollmilchnoob

Hi, are u sure Haste is better than mastery? Mastery is more effective for Second stats, haste doesnt rly go up if u try stacking it, plz tell me why haste is better than mastery

On 8/22/2018 at 4:30 AM, Guest Rami said:

All the Azerite traits for discipline are so crazy underwhelming compared to other classes/specs, or did i miss something?

We have a few that are quite good and several that are decent. Enduring Luminescence and Gift of Forgiveness are quite good, but the only ones I would say are quite bad are Depth of Shadows and maybe Contemptuous Homily. The Azerite page will be getting updated soon to reflect a proper ranking after we finalize our calculations on them. The current list is loosely ranked in order but it's based on assumptions from beta and not all of that carried over to live. 

I think Discipline has a couple very powerful traits that in relation to others end up making certain ones obsolete or not worth considering. I'd assume some balancing will take place to make them a bit more in line and maybe a nerf to the Smite trait (which right now is really, really good).

15 hours ago, Guest Vollmilchnoob said:

Hi, are u sure Haste is better than mastery? Mastery is more effective for Second stats, haste doesnt rly go up if u try stacking it, plz tell me why haste is better than mastery

Haste increases the cast time of our spells and reduces the cooldown on spells like Power Word: Solace. This allows us to cast more spells inside the duration of Atonement, and also allows us to be more responsive to damage. Haste is only slightly better than other secondaries such as Mastery only because a certain level of Haste is necessary to make the spec "feel" better. The way in which stats scale isn't reasoning enough to pick one over the other, the effects they provide are what we focus on. Currently the stat situation is looking like this for raiding:

Int >>>>>> Haste >= Crit > Mastery >= Vers

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Guest Pinkbyte said:

Pls can someone who knows a bit about math post Pawn stat weights? ?

We will have something released this week. I'll make sure to update the guide when it's available! 

Guest Pinkbyte
8 hours ago, Mend said:

We will have something released this week. I'll make sure to update the guide when it's available! 

Cheers man, really appreciate it. ? 

Atonement heals cannot be critical hits; they only heal for the amount of damage that was done, which is the only portion that can be a critical strike).

This is no longer accurate, if it ever was.  My Atonement heals crit regularly. More to the point, in a recent LFR, another Disc Priest out healed me by 100k, purely because his Atonement crit twice as often as mine. 

Thank you for the write up. 

Edited by Rhinehold

38 minutes ago, Rhinehold said:

Atonement heals cannot be critical hits; they only heal for the amount of damage that was done, which is the only portion that can be a critical strike).

This is no longer accurate, if it ever was.  My Atonement heals crit regularly. More to the point, in a recent LFR, another Disc Priest out healed me by 100k, purely because his Atonement crit twice as often as mine. 

Thank you for the write up. 

If the underlying damaging spell is a critical strike, then it will double the heal as you expect. However, Atonement cannot crit separately from the damaging spell that triggered it (which would double it a second time over).

• Like 1

In the guide it's said that Twitching Tentacle of XalzaixTwitching Tentacle of Xalzaix is a Type-A and BiS Trinket. I really wonder about that.
I got it dropped today on item level 370 which means it procs for 1123 int and has 164 flat crit ( 2.27% ).
The proc has an up time of 20% meaning we get the equivalent of a flat 225 int out of it. ( Or 976 int proc / 195 int static / 2.11% crit on ilvl 355 like the Darkmoon Deck )

For comparison Darkmoon Deck: TidesDarkmoon Deck: Tides in the Type-D class has 236 flat int, the proc heals for around 1% of your total healing depending on your composition and gear (~ 150k in a 7 Minute fight) and you get a 4k mana kick back in a 7 Minute fight. Which seems very close to the performance of the Twitching Tentacle of XalzaixTwitching Tentacle of Xalzaix.

With a weak aura I could observe the rising of the stacks and if the stars align I could benefit purposefully from the 1123 int, or in a worst case scenario I prepare a big blanked heal with no additional in place of 236 int I could have all the time. Since we have no synergies with crit we can see it as a flat increase of 2.27% ( 2.11% at ilvl 355 ).

Can someone elaborate on that?

Edit: I know that a flat (relative) 2% increase beats a flat (absolute) 150k increase more and more as time goes on, but in the current realm of 355-385 and with the 40 more int + mana of the Darkmoon Deck at 355 it seems like these two have a very comparable overall impact on heal performance. 

Edited by Splitframe
Crits do 200% heal not 150%, added fight time, simplified darkmoon proc effect, fleshed out some points.

Guest its_jrd

i guess this guide is out of time since there was no update for over a month.

On 10/1/2018 at 3:35 AM, Splitframe said:

In the guide it's said that Twitching Tentacle of XalzaixTwitching Tentacle of Xalzaix is a Type-A and BiS Trinket. I really wonder about that.
I got it dropped today on item level 370 which means it procs for 1123 int and has 164 flat crit ( 2.27% ).
The proc has an up time of 20% meaning we get the equivalent of a flat 225 int out of it. ( Or 976 int proc / 195 int static / 2.11% crit on ilvl 355 like the Darkmoon Deck )

For comparison Darkmoon Deck: TidesDarkmoon Deck: Tides in the Type-D class has 236 flat int, the proc heals for around 1% of your total healing depending on your composition and gear (~ 150k in a 7 Minute fight) and you get a 4k mana kick back in a 7 Minute fight. Which seems very close to the performance of the Twitching Tentacle of XalzaixTwitching Tentacle of Xalzaix.

With a weak aura I could observe the rising of the stacks and if the stars align I could benefit purposefully from the 1123 int, or in a worst case scenario I prepare a big blanked heal with no additional in place of 236 int I could have all the time. Since we have no synergies with crit we can see it as a flat increase of 2.27% ( 2.11% at ilvl 355 ).

Edit: I know that a flat (relative) 2% increase beats a flat (absolute) 150k increase more and more as time goes on, but in the current realm of 355-385 and with the 40 more int + mana of the Darkmoon Deck at 355 it seems like these two have a very comparable overall impact on heal performance. 

I used Inoculating Extract at ilvl 355 for a few IDs now. It heals an additional 23.2k per use.
I combined it with penance and a mouse over macro. In fights where I know that I need to top off a Tank ( zul for example) it's really useful since it's not on the GCD and each penance tick immediately consumes an antigen.

Edited by Splitframe

What % of haste are we aiming for before loosing other stats? currently I can get 22% haste with my current ilvl of 360 but my crit 16% and my mastery 17%. I have pieces of gear in my bags that can even them out to 19% H. and 18% C. 19% M. I am kinda lost cause my Pong addon keeps telling me versitality and mastery items are a significant upgrade compared to what I have been reading. Please help

On 9/30/2018 at 8:35 PM, Splitframe said:

I have it ranked as a "Type A" trinket because it's the easiest to farm relative to the item level you can get, versus hoping for a world quest trinket to Titanforge etc. 

On 10/7/2018 at 5:00 AM, Guest its_jrd said:

i guess this guide is out of time since there was no update for over a month.

I'll be making some updates this evening. Between mythic progression and some IRL things that came up, I've been a bit behind making some minor tweaks / updates that needed done. Sorry for the delays :).

On 10/18/2018 at 6:22 AM, Guest Marke522 said:

For Gear and Best in Slot you have Dread Gladiator's Medallion listed twice.  Should it be under Section A or B.

Thanks. 

Should be in B, I'll be updating this tonight (as mentioned in the above reply). 

On 10/20/2018 at 1:50 PM, Wanheda said:

What % of haste are we aiming for before loosing other stats? currently I can get 22% haste with my current ilvl of 360 but my crit 16% and my mastery 17%. I have pieces of gear in my bags that can even them out to 19% H. and 18% C. 19% M. I am kinda lost cause my Pong addon keeps telling me versitality and mastery items are a significant upgrade compared to what I have been reading. Please help

Pawn default values are wrong, so I wouldn't base anything off of them. As for stats to aim for, they are all close to equal. Wearing your highest item level is most important, regardless of secondary stat distribution (jewelry is a bit different due to no Intellect). After wearing your highest item level pieces, if you have alternate pieces to choose from, you can try to value Haste slightly more than other stats if you'd like, but it won't make a major difference in your output.

At the end of the day, min/maxing your secondary stats will yield you very little throughput increase. You're better off analyzing your logs to improve your gameplay, which will make a far larger impact than trying to optimize your stats. 

Goodness, ..... last night was pretty brutal for my disc priest on heroic Uldir raid.  Healing felt very weak, as before when throwing a shield on a player you could see their health go up or even stabilize, now feels as if you did nothing at all. During Zul aoe dmg, I had 12 atonements out and went through my dmg rotation - it seemed half as effective now.  I've never cared about meters either -esp with disc- but everyone mentioned how drastic my levels have went down.  

I understand a PvP nerf but do not understand why such a brutal PvE one.  Am i really gonna have to run this toon as Holy for raids now? I guess so. 

Edited by holysister

Guest Frozby

please reimport the imgur images they all got removed(azerite traits chart, best in slot etc)

Guest PVP Talent Trinity

Your statement regarding the pvp talent Trinity says that you will be limited to 3 atonement targets. I have discovered this to be in error. You receive the crit bonus for atonement on 3 or more targets. Just FYI. Full disclosure, I did not test it in a dungeon. Just standing outside the AH in SW. 

21 hours ago, Guest PVP Talent Trinity said:

Your statement regarding the pvp talent Trinity says that you will be limited to 3 atonement targets. I have discovered this to be in error. You receive the crit bonus for atonement on 3 or more targets. Just FYI. Full disclosure, I did not test it in a dungeon. Just standing outside the AH in SW. 

Will let Mend know, thanks!

Guest Tempeste

I am just wondering where the guide to best Benthic gear is for disc priests?  It is super easy to find for other classes such as assassination rogues and arcane mages, but I cannot find one for the disc priest?

On 7/21/2019 at 2:18 AM, Guest Tempeste said:

I am just wondering where the guide to best Benthic gear is for disc priests?  It is super easy to find for other classes such as assassination rogues and arcane mages, but I cannot find one for the disc priest?

Clandon is currently working on an update to the gear page, sorry for the delay!