FORUMS
Valks

Protection Warrior 8.3

On 9/2/2018 at 6:16 PM, Guest Valdaya said:

I was wondering why/if you actually use heroic leap all that often, I don't really find it useful in most tanking situations, and in almost every situation I see intercept being better and MUCH easier to use (1 click vs 2 is a big deal for high intensity fights where mobility really matters) because of that I guess I'm trying to understand why you value the heroic leap talent so highly since I think both of the other talents are vastly superior. (of course this is all just opinion, I ask because I value yours not to demean your advice)!

All the talents in that row are competitive/situational. There are definitely situations where Bounding Stride isn't as useful as the other two talents. Bounding Stride is recommended most often because it is the most universally useful. For example, it's extremely useful in Mythic+ with Necrotic, or just general dungeon kiting. It's great for movement on MOTHER, Zek'voz, Taloc, Zul, etc. There are lots of situations where there's nothing to Intercept.

On 9/7/2018 at 12:45 AM, Guest Septium said:

I've noticed that the Champions of Azeroth azerite trait isn't mentioned at all on the azerite trait page. If I get the helm from the vendor is that trait better than iron fortress?

On 9/11/2018 at 2:16 AM, dragonbeard said:

I noticed a brief mention of the engineering goggles on the Azerite page, maybe I'm missing something but I dont see any of their outer traits listed in the guide? Is this simply because these traits rank below all other prot specific traits? I'm comparing [Synaptic Spark Collector] (5 percent reduction) to [Brace for Impact] as these are the two helm traits I have.

It's explained briefly at the top of the Azerite page, but any non spec specific Outer Ring traits aren't taken into consideration. This is because they all rely on RNG. They all "have a chance" to do X. Even though some of them may be quite good on average, the spec specific traits are all consistent bonuses, and are better for overall survivability/tank reliability because of that. And because you can always pick a spec specific trait, there's no use in ranking the non spec specific ones.

Guest Aggroth

Just a question, what is the inner circle?

There is no such inner circle right? The only inner circle is +5 other that all other things

I completely got lost for this guide.

Guest shiire
On 9/15/2018 at 9:15 AM, Guest Aggroth said:

Just a question, what is the inner circle?

There is no such inner circle right? The only inner circle is +5 other that all other things

I completely got lost for this guide.

In epics you have 3 circles to choose the powers and then the middle that gives +5 item level: As in Outer > Middle > Inner > +5. And in blue items there's only 2 circles and then the middle one: Outer > Inner > +5

But I had question of my own. I want to see in this guide how Leech effect all of this, is it useful at all when comparing equal ilvl items? Worth making risks based on that. For example I have item that gives +101 Versatility and +48 Mastery, but now I have to choose whether to use that one or the one that has +62 haste, +88 Versatility and +64 Leech ? 

Posting this again:

Maybe I should read on, but well, how can you go past this ?! This is a ridiculous nerf if I have ever seen one and I wonder why. Ignore Pain down to 50%?! Shield Block ..  less frequent? You'll go like for 4-8 seconds with no Shield Block,Those two abilities have been the core of our tanking. And then add all the other nerfs?. The only ability improved is Demo Shout but I'd rather they left things alone!

• Demoralizing Shout Icon Demoralizing Shout is now on a 45-second cooldown, down from 90 seconds.
  • Shield Block Icon Shield Block's recharge time is now 18 seconds, up from 13 seconds. It costs 30 Rage, up from 15 Rage. It still has 2 charges despite what the tooltip says.
  • Ignore Pain Icon Ignore Pain
    • The Attack Power ratio has been significantly nerfed, and it now ignores 50% of damage instead of 90%.
    • It now has a flat Rage cost of 40.
    • Its cap is now 1.3 times the on-cast absorb amount, down from 3 times.
    • Its duration is now 12 seconds, down from 15 seconds.
  • Spell Reflection Icon Spell Reflection reduces magical damage by 20%, down from 50% (with Artifact).
  • Thunder Clap Icon Thunder Clap now reduces enemy movement speed by 20%, down from 50%.
  • Intercept Icon Intercept no longer reduces enemy movement speed.

On 9/16/2018 at 7:46 PM, Guest shiire said:

But I had question of my own. I want to see in this guide how Leech effect all of this, is it useful at all when comparing equal ilvl items? Worth making risks based on that. For example I have item that gives +101 Versatility and +48 Mastery, but now I have to choose whether to use that one or the one that has +62 haste, +88 Versatility and +64 Leech ? 

Essentially, to paraphase Marok:

Leech is not worth enough to stop yourself taking an item level upgrade. For same item level pieces, you can't just stick it in the priority since you're comparing damage reduction with raw healing. You'd almost always take the Leech piece, however, because, as Marok puts it in the guide, having more stats is better than having better ones.

Another fight between Easy Mode and Stats Priority information. This one may just be the (accidental?) omission of Armour and Strength from the list for easy mode though

Easy Mode:

1. Haste
  2. Versatility
  3. Mastery
  4. Critical Strike

A footnote states: Generally speaking, the stat priority should only be followed when comparing gear of the same item level. A piece of gear with a higher item level than what you currently have should be equipped regardless of its secondary stats.

This would imply that ilvl should be at the top of the list, unless it follows the same model as the Stats Priority page, in which case it should be exactly the same

Stats Priority:

1. Haste
  2. Armor
  3. Versatility
  4. Mastery
  5. Critical Strike
  6. Strength

Designates Armour as more important than Strength in this case.

Edited by Wyr3d

@Wyr3d

Yeah, non-secondary stats were purposely omitted from the Easy Mode page, as those newer to the spec/game might not understand that stat priorities list the relative value of stats per point. So including Armor/Strength might be confusing for some, since those aren't stats you can generally "go for".

I also try to avoid putting item level in a stat priority since it's not really a stat and doing so would sort of muddy the purpose of a stat priority.

Guest Azerite Updates

Hey there,

Was curious if work was done in regards to the new Azerite traits and how they stack against the others. One of interest is Ancients' Bulwark which seems pretty decent with the +290 vers not moving (flat DR no rng) and the heal when you actually do move as a tank. I know there are others as well and have not found many guides mentioning the new additions.

Thanks very much for all of the efforts.

Warmest,

-Vid

On 2/8/2019 at 12:11 AM, Guest Azerite Updates said:

Hey there,

Was curious if work was done in regards to the new Azerite traits and how they stack against the others. One of interest is Ancients' Bulwark which seems pretty decent with the +290 vers not moving (flat DR no rng) and the heal when you actually do move as a tank. I know there are others as well and have not found many guides mentioning the new additions.

Thanks very much for all of the efforts.

Warmest,

-Vid

Ancients' Bulwark is definitely one of the better "generic" traits, but even still it is not recommended you take it over a spec-specific trait. In the case of Ancients' in particular, there's quite a lot of movement on most fights in BoD, and the heal portion of this trait isn't very good. You're going to get much more defensive (and offensive) value out of another trait.

There are some situations where some generic traits might serve you better compared to a spec-specific one, but those situations aren't common, and as a general recommendation you're almost always better off with a spec-specific trait.

Hello together,

just a little question after a while and for interest :

Are you going to update the guide for essences asap Marok ? Also i'd like to share some experiences with specific Weakaura's if it's fine. ?

On 6/22/2019 at 5:42 PM, Baharok said:

Hello together,

just a little question after a while and for interest :

Are you going to update the guide for essences asap Marok ? Also i'd like to share some experiences with specific Weakaura's if it's fine. ?

Guide is now updated ?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Blainie said:

Guide is now updated ?

Thank you for the updates ! 

To my point with WA's :

From time to time i try new auras. Here is one i can recommend, its stylish and useful, since it includes all information needed for the class / spec you play. As far as i know Afenar uploaded UI/tracking auras for all classes and speccs (even if you dont use ElvUI, it works perfectly) :

https://wago.io/Afenar_Warrior

Edited by Baharok

Guest Buel

When are you going to update the page to include The Eternal Palace raid?

On 7/13/2019 at 9:19 AM, Guest Buel said:

When are you going to update the page to include The Eternal Palace raid?

Sorry about the delay. The guide has been updated and you should see those new changes very soon.

Guest Nerf-this

Your corruption list is wrong only 1 weapon gives Obsidian Skin and it is a 2h that would be in a fury, arms or blood DK not a prot warrior 

22 hours ago, Guest Nerf-this said:

Your corruption list is wrong only 1 weapon gives Obsidian Skin and it is a 2h that would be in a fury, arms or blood DK not a prot warrior 

Hello,
The corruption sims are taken from Bloodmallet which had Obsidian Skin included for all tanks (regardless if they can use 2h or not), it was reported and should already be fixed.