FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Funq

Gemming with Thok's Tail Tip

Hi all,

For all the knowledgeable fury warriors out there, I have a question.

I recently got inv_jewelry_orgrimmarraid_trinket_03.jpgThok's Tail Tip from a flex raid. I understand it's pretty much the best trinket you can get as a fury warrior, so naturally I equipped it. I replaced my ability_warrior_strengthofarms.jpgBrutal Talisman of the Shado-Pan Assault and regemmed to regain the expertise cap.

Obviously I saw my crit rate drop. Now with the power of the trinket relying on crits, I wonder if I should forget about socket bonuses, even if they are over 120 strength, and just gem pure crit? I have 3 piercing wild jades that I could replace with +320 crit gems. Any thought?

Edited by Funq

A link to your character would help to see exactly how you are currently set up.

My rule of thumb is I'm going to go and grab a socket bonus only if I have to use one non-yellow gem to get it.

(Say if a chest has Red-Yellow-Yellow I'll grab it, but if it has Red-Yellow-Blue I won't).

Concerning Green gems specifically, I would keep those gems (the the str associated with them) if by doing so you're not putting yourself over hit cap.

Damn, you really are over the hit cap. Still, it might seem like the opposite of what i said earlier, but in your case I'd keep the green gem, because in all cases you only have to give up on 1 yellow gem to get the socket bonus. (and since the gem socket bonus is always 1 gem for +180 str socket bonus that one is definitely worth keeping)

Damn, you really are over the hit cap.

I know, that's why I wonder if I should keep my fabled feather or use the brutal talisman as my 2nd trinket instead?

Since they nerfed feather to only last 10 seconds instead of 20 it really lost in value. Don't hesitate to use the Shado-Pan one instead, especially if they're the same ilvl :)

(Though your next trinket goal definitely should be galakras' one ;) )

Right, was wondering why everyone always raved about that feather. Don't keep track of all changelogs, so missed that.

Right, so Brutal Talisman it is. Just wish Galakras would be more cooperative. Never seen the trinket drop so far.

Again, thanks for the reply.

I kinda feel your pain. Week 11 of 5.4 and I have yet to see Thok's Tail Tip :(

Anyway, glad I could help you :)

My rule of thumb is I'm going to go and grab a socket bonus only if I have to use one non-yellow gem to get it.

(Say if a chest has Red-Yellow-Yellow I'll grab it, but if it has Red-Yellow-Blue I won't).

So... that being said, what gems if you don't match socket bonus?

Edited by Vomitory

Piercing (Hit/Crit) in green & Inscribed (Str/Crit) or Crafty (Crit/Exp) in red if you want to match socket bonuses.

Smooth (Crit) in everything else & when you don't care about the socket bonuses.

Get your stat weights for your character with simcraft, or use the default stat weights on askmrrobot.com.  Then use AMR to find the optimal gem/reforge setup that maxes the sum of stats * stat weights.  For my warr alt in about 535 dps gear, (inflated by two tank pieces with tank reforge/gems, since they're still better than timeless isle 496, or 483), my stat weights for single target SMF came out to

Strength=4.17, ExpertiseRating=7.68, HitRating=8.11, CritRating=5.04, HasteRating=1.85, MasteryRating=3.22

The lower your gear level, the more valuable crit is for fury, so you'll easily find that crit is point-for-point more valuable than STR, not just the > 0.5 of STR that you need for a secondary to be worth gemming.  So fury usually doesn't take socket bonuses, except in your helm or in e.g. yellow+yellow+ (red or blue).

Let Askmrrobot do the math and figure out which socket bonuses to take.  For a blue sockets, it can be worth matching just because that extra 160 hit makes it possible for your reforge to come out closer to hit / exp cap.  If you're cheap and that's an alt, for example, you can just lock down your gems to tell mrrobot which pieces you don't want to regem, and have it work with those constraints.