FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Alphay2k

Bm Hunter second pet question

So I've read that the main pet you summon, of course gets said skills and such, but I've heard different things about the second pet (ie: the first one in the stable) only gets base skills and damage. I've also heard the second pet gets like stomp. Which would be more than base damage skills.

So can someone clarify this for me so I better understand it an it will help me in choosing the pets I want.

So does say a spider still get root, or is it just basic hack and slash damage as the 2nd pet of course, the main still get all the skills, I'm just curious about the second. 

Stomp is a talent, not a pet ability. It does the same amount of damage with or without the Animal Companion talent, so the fact that the second pet casts it is not really important.

The second pet does not get special abilities or passive effects from its spec. You also don't get a pet bar for the second pet, and you can't open its spellbook, so it just behaves mostly like Hati. It does cast the Basic Attack, Kill Command, Stomp and it gets affected by Beast Cleave and Frenzy but that's it. Your main pet becomes weaker when you use this talent, so don't think the second pet is going to give you extra damage.

Minmaxing the second pet doesn't really make a lot of sense because it's not the strongest talent in its row to begin with. This talent is cosmetic, not competitive. At least for now.

People have been reporting the second pet does not seem to get Avoidance and it can die to things that pets usually don't die to, which results in a very large dps loss. You need to dismiss your pet to respawn the second pet, and it doesn't respawn right away. It also seems like the second pet cannot Feign Death so he will keep pulling threat, and apparently it's buggy so it can pull threat to you instead of to itself. This should get a fix at some point, but I haven't seen anything about it in hotfixes. IIRC Mend Pet also doesn't heal the second pet. Overall, the talent is very buggy.

Edited by Khallid

Plenty of sims show that using the second pet talent is not good for you.  It reduces the effectiveness of your primary companion.

I did spec it for a while to try it and saw a noticeable drop in my DPS.  Hati was fun, but did not make much of a difference, but in BfA, it is causing problems.  Perhaps they will fix this.