FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Belicosa

Mage profession discussion

Have not seen this as its own thread yet (forgive me if it has been beaten like the proverbial dead horse) so I wanted to add my 2 cents and open it up for discussion.

My choices: Tailoring and Enchanting.

My reasoning: better spellthreads and cape embroidery that outpaces all back enchants plus crafting epic gear it the gods of drops do not favor me, and enchanting for the extra INT on my rings.

I can see the value of Inscription for the super-bonus bop shoulder glyphs, and perhaps engineering (although I find it much more useful on my rogue for glove, belt and cape tinkers).

Add to that, any cloth Timeless gear I get doing my dailies turn into instant Sha Crystals, keeping me one of the most popular members of my raid team. I have 100+ in inventory at the moment.

Not so much AH gold potential (although I did make a killing with bags at the end of Cata as everyone hoarded bags for their planned Pandaren Monks. Plus Vial of Sands with my Alchemist..)

This has been covered in the class guides. 

ie.: https://www.icy-veins.com/frost-mage-wow-pve-dps-gems-enchants-professions-consumables

And I have to agree with the statements there. Engineering is superior to all mage classes, because it perfectly lines up with all of our CDs.

Your 2nd profession frankly, doesn't really matter. Although yes... Tailoring buff can be extended with Alter Time from time-to-time, so it pulls ahead slightly. :)

IMO new players should use the passive buffs since they don't usually use the "on use"/"proc" profession buffs to their full potential.

Synapse Springs for example has a 1 minute cooldown, and your DPS Cooldown (Icy Veins Macro) has a cooldown of 3 minutes, meaning they can use Synapse Springs twice before their next cooldown (which some people forget). If you macro it in with Frozen Orb, you will be able to use Synapse Springs on cooldown easier, but then it can lead to incorrect timing with the Icy Veins macro.

Could possible make a macro that lets you cast Frozen Orb without the Synapse Springs when you use modifiers if you see you can line it up with Icy Veins macro. . .

Back to topic:

For me, Alchemy and Engineering is boss for almost all dps classes, since Engineering gives you nice "go-go-gadget"s, has some nice crafting gear, and of course Synapse Springs.

Alchemy is great since it is almost passive (with Flask of the Warm Sun), mages lack decent self heals (outside raids), also great profit.

I'm doing just fine with my passive intellects of enchanting and alchemy.

I'm a night elf. I could never be an engineer for thematic reasons.

Edited by Akraen

I'm doing just fine with my passive intellects of enchanting and alchemy.

I'm a night elf. I could never be an engineer for thematic reasons.

You got me here. You are the most min/max person I know and you deny engineering, gasp?

I think engineering is best, yes.

But I think there's also something to be said for having a passive and consistent intellect bonus while gearing for such absurd amounts of haste and mastery.

I'm also a night elf. Because I think a shadowmeld when a heroic Malkorok add is on me (for example) is infinitely more useful than other racials. We often become so focused on min/max that we don't valuate correctly what personal utility means in these encounters.

Basically I min/max in some senses to make up for the fact that I want to be a Night Elf and I don't want to change the professions I've had since vanilla :P

And that handicap inspires me and challenges me to play that much harder. Every troll and goblin I beat is a trophy on my mantle.

tldr; racials/professions matter more at low ilvls, and no racial/profession will make up for a lack of skill, or guarantee the best ranks

• Like 2

Guess I'm probably going Engineering and Alch soon.  Herb / Alch right now.  

As others have pointed out, Engineering has the best cd's and utility.  Alch rocks because I'm a cheap asshole and like the x2 duration on the flask buff.  

Edited by synkronized
  • Like 1