FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
FreddyJ

Arcmage and Clearcasting - Guide Update

Good Afternoon,

I'm updating my arcmage.  In the guide, under 2. Patch 8.0.1 changes for arcmage, it states:  Clearcasting has been added. (instant release).  And it's shown as instant in every listing of the spell.

However, in my mage's spellbook, it's shown as a passive.

BTW, thanks for the continued use of the Easy Mode listings.  It really helps players like me a lot.  Not that I wouldn't mind raiding, but it's just not possible.  If it wasn't for Easy Mode, I wouldn't by playing WoW at all.

Thanks.

I think all passive abilities are shown as "instant" in WoWDB and on Wowhead (which is where other websites like Icy Veins get their mouseover tooltips from). The API probably just checks for cast time, and since passives don't have a cast time, they get interpreted as instant casts.

When the guide says "...if you have Clearcasting" it means the buff you gain on chance through the Clearcasting passive ability.

Sorry, but I don't understand that.

Because when I'm told in a guide to take Clearcasting so I can activate it whenever, and have it interact with an other spell, vs it being passive, and I don't have to worry about doing anything, those are opposing instructions.  It should be one or the other.

And if the WoWDB shows it one way or another, then it should be the same everywhere.

Oh well, thanks.

No, you are misunderstanding.

First off, you can't "take" clearcasting, since it's baseline for Arcane. It cannot be cast or taken or anything, it's a baseline passive ability. It will automatically do its thing if the requirements are fulfilled.

Any time you spent mana, you have a chance to enter a clearcasting state. You gain a buff which is also called Clearcasting that allows you to cast Arcane Missile or Arcane Explosion with no mana cast.

The more mana you spent, the higher the chance you gain Clearcasting. Apart from that, there is no way to control how or when Clearcasting procs, that's why it's a passive ability.

Ultimately, all you need to know is: if you get a clearcast proc, you cast arcane missile. That's it. 

But you see, that's my point exactly.  It's passive.  But the guide says:  clearcasting instant, which means you have to push the button.  It's confusing.  Anyway, enjoyed the discussion.

Edited by FreddyJ

On 8/5/2018 at 1:53 AM, FreddyJ said:

But you see, that's my point exactly.  It's passive.  But the guide says:  clearcasting instant, which means you have to push the button.  It's confusing.  Anyway, enjoyed the discussion.

Hi,

It is only the tooltip (when you hover your mouse over the text) that says "Instant". The guide does not say to "cast" clearcasting. For example it says:  "Cast Arcane Missiles if you have Clearcasting", which means when you get the Clearcasting proc, you should cast Arcane Missiles.

The "instant" thing is a bit confusing yeah, but it's not part of the guide, only the tooltip that is loaded from wowdb.com.

• Thanks 1