FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Confusedmoonkin

[HELP] Rotation, Starsurge vs Solar Wrath

Hello, there's a certain moment in the balance rotation i'm unsure of, that's whether to prioritize Starsurge or Solar Wrath when you're at 40+ Astral Power and no Empowerment.

Should I cast a base Solar Wrath into Starsurge to reduce GCD, or ignore the GCD, cast the instant Starsurge and continue as usual?

Thanks!

My gut tells me to Starsurge, especially if solar wrath is goin to not fully generate the AP. As far as I can tell it's basically all about pumping those starsurges out. Also could use that time in most fights to slightly reposition youself. 

Yeah, def prioritize starsurge, the bulk of our DPS comes from there. We want to generate as much empowerment as possible and starsurge is the only way to be 100% sure that we do.  I usually use Solar Wrath to generate astral power so I can starsurge, and of course toss lunar strike whenever Moonkin procs the insta cast. Also don't forget to shoot lunar strike whenever solar wrath gives you a stack. The biggest mistake I see boomkins make is not spending the empowerments that solar strike and lunar strike generate and then starsurging when they already have 3 empowerments.

Where do you get the idea that using Solar Wrath first will reduce the GCD of Starsurge? It has a 20% chance to give you a Lunar Empowerment to reduce the cast time of your next Lunar Strike, but it doesn't directly impact your haste which is where a reduced GCD would come from. Either way you're going to incur the same GCD, and Starsurge is a higher priority spell as long as you're not overcapping Empowerments.