FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Ira

frost bolt vs frostfire bolt

ive been reading the forums here for awhile now, and i haven't seen topics on this, at what point would it be better to drop frost bolt out of our rotation and just spam frostfire? is it even viable? 

im currently running a modified version of oltier's setup capping out @40.55% haste raid buffed (my raid team doesnt have the spell haste buff) if i go full haste i would sit at 49.25% haste. 

this is not* a asking for help thread more of a theroy craft thread.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/akama/Iramagus/advanced

Edited by Ira

ability_mage_frostfirebolt.jpgFrostfire Bolt (FFB) and spell_frost_frostbolt02.jpgFrostbolt (FB) deals the same damage. Both will generate ability_mage_wintersgrasp.jpgFingers of Frost. Only problem is the Cast Time - Global Cooldown.

Rough calculations (Excel) indicate that:

31.33% (Gear) + 7% (Frost Armor) + 5% (Raid Spell Haste) = 43.33% Haste

Global Cooldown = 1.05

FFB Cast Time = 1.92

FFB (Glyphed) Cast Time = 1.56

FB Cast Time = 1.4

You will lose 0.52 seconds each time you cast FFB instead of FB.

Just note, if you have 38% haste from gear, the global cooldown becomes 1 second, which is the minimum. 

EDIT: inv_glyph_majormage.jpgGlyph of Frostfire Bolt reduces this to 0.17.

Edited by Archimage
  • Like 1

ability_mage_frostfirebolt.jpgFrostfire Bolt (FFB) and spell_frost_frostbolt02.jpgFrostbolt (FB) deals the same damage. Both will generate ability_mage_wintersgrasp.jpgFingers of Frost. Only problem is the Cast Time - Global Cooldown.

Rough calculations (Excel) indicate that:

31.33% (Gear) + 7% (Frost Armor) + 5% (Raid Spell Haste) = 43.33% Haste

Global Cooldown = 1.05

FFB Cast Time = 1.92

FFB (Glyphed) Cast Time = 1.56

FB Cast Time = 1.4

You will lose 0.52 seconds each time you cast FFB instead of FB.

Just note, if you have 38% haste from gear, the global cooldown becomes 1 second, which is the minimum. 

EDIT: inv_glyph_majormage.jpgGlyph of Frostfire Bolt reduces this to 0.17.

This is an interesting topic.

I've been thinking a bit. Lets assume, that you are a bit slow on consuming BF procs. But, what if you spam instead of FB, might that mean that because of tha FFB spam, you consume more BF, than you would normally?

What if you are running haste setup, and you already exceeded the 1 sec GCD with FB but you would not exceed it with FFB?

Well, all I can say, you/we should try it, and see if there's a difference ;D

I don't see how it could ever be viable to just spam FFB and ignore FB. Even if you get enough haste to get the FFB cast time down to the 1-second global cooldown, you should rather reforge some of that haste into mastery and continue to use FB.

I don't see how it could ever be viable to just spam FFB and ignore FB. Even if you get enough haste to get the FFB cast time down to the 1-second global cooldown, you should rather reforge some of that haste into mastery and continue to use FB.

would the high number of ticks from NT offset that?  

You require 113% Gear Haste to reduce FFB(Glyphed) cast time to 1 second, which IMO is impossible to get. I wouldn't get more than 38% Gear Haste since any more will not reduce the GCD. This makes FFB(G) a 1.5 second cast, and FB 1.3 second cast.

If you remember, FB had a stacking debuff that increased your damage from spells, this caused people to atleast cast FB. Now when Blizzard removed this debuff, they opened the possibility that FFB becomes your Filler spell (This topic).

Not worth it:

Spell	                Cast	GCD	Dmg	Crit%	Avg	DPS	DPET
FFB(Glyphed)+Icicle	1.5	1	244396	22.55%	299507	200177	200177
Frostbolt+Icicle	1.33	1	244396	22.55%	299507	225200	225200

That's with my gear.

Edited by Akraen
  • Like 1

Not worth it:

Spell	                Cast	GCD	Dmg	Crit%	Avg	DPS	DPET
FFB(Glyphed)+Icicle	1.5	1	244396	22.55%	299507	200177	200177
Frostbolt+Icicle	1.33	1	244396	22.55%	299507	225200	225200
That's with my gear.