FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

Warfront Unlock Timing

vUf0wB4.jpg

We've already heard about the raid and Mythic+ unlock timings on September 4th (as well as regular Mythic dungeons being available immediately on the first reset after launch day, aka only hours after for US) and now we have the announcement when the first Warfront, the Battle for Stromgarde will arrive. While there's no hard date set, the first round will open a few weeks after launch with the Alliance starting with control of the keep.

You can check out our preview for the Warfront here, the weapon previews here and mount previews here.

Blizzard LogoWarfronts (source)

We’ve seen some confusion about when Battle for Azeroth’s first Warfront, Battle for Stromgarde, will open and would like to give some clarifications.

Similar to other types of endgame content such as raids and rated PvP, the Battle for Stromgarde will not be immediately available at launch. Instead, it’ll open a few weeks later. Initially, the Alliance will control Stromgarde Keep (which allows access to certain outdoor content in the Arathi Highlands), while the Horde begins preparations to assault. Once those preparations are finished, Horde players will be able to queue for the Battle for Stromgarde Warfront.

A few days afterward, the roles will reverse: the Horde will control Stromgarde (thus gaining access to the outdoor content), and the Alliance will begin their own preparations to retaliate. This process will continue to alternate between Horde and Alliance on a regular cadence.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Starym said:

Initially, the Alliance will control Stromgarde Keep (which allows access to certain outdoor content in the Arathi Highlands), while the Horde begins preparations to assault. Once those preparations are finished, Horde players will be able to queue for the Battle for Stromgarde Warfront.

A few days afterward, the roles will reverse: the Horde will control Stromgarde (thus gaining access to the outdoor content), and the Alliance will begin their own preparations to retaliate. This process will continue to alternate between Horde and Alliance on a regular cadence.

Wintergrasp here i come again.
I loved Wintergrasp. It was so much fun to do PvE-Content while doing PvP.

Edit: I stand corrected: It is sadly not Wintergrasp like. More like Dota mixed with WC3 elements?

Edited by Vorguz

1 hour ago, krapmyself said:

So if I'm to understand correctly, Warfronts are throw back to the old Warcraft RTS games played in the style of a MOBA but without the PvP?

Exactly.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, krapmyself said:

So if I'm to understand correctly, Warfronts are throw back to the old Warcraft RTS games played in the style of a MOBA but without the PvP?

I'm confused. I don't know anything about Warfronts. How are they at all like an RTS or a MOBA?

55 minutes ago, Prophet001 said:

I'm confused. I don't know anything about Warfronts. How are they at all like an RTS or a MOBA?

They work just like how it was back in Warcraft 1-3. An RTS like Starcraft if you´re more familiar with that.
You start with a base and you upgrade it and build more buildings to recruit some more soldiers. Some buildings grant certain types of mobs and have more value then others. You need to farm materials to build these houses.
Then you obviously push the enemy stronghold, in this case Stromguard, and if you win you get rewards.

The bad thing about Warfronts are that they´re not PVP, just some PvE event you do to get World Quests, Rare Spawns and the World Boss in Arathi Highlands.
I hope Blizzard listens to us and makes it PVP like Wintergrasp or Tol Barad later down the line of the xpansion. Beacuse that shit was the best back in the days.

Dont get me wrong, Warfronts are awesome but Blizzard can build on it and make it even better if they wanted to.

Edited by Hoods

6 hours ago, Vorguz said:

Wintergrasp here i come again.
I loved Wintergrasp. It was so much fun to do PvE-Content while doing PvP.

It's not like Wintergrasp, it's more like scenario against npcs, as this is not a PvP bg. Factions will rotate on control, as it doesn't seem like you can lose your battle for control (or it's very hard to lose ? ). They don't want realms imbalance to come into play here, when one faction would constantly control it.

One thing I dislike, is how gated content is once again, it was prevalent in Legion. It artificially makes content seem to last longer. Unlike in older times, they don't want people to burn through content too fast. I was fine with it though, everyone doing stuff at their own pace.

• Sad 1

57 minutes ago, Arcling said:

It's not like Wintergrasp, it's more like scenario against npcs, as this is not a PvP bg. Factions will rotate on control, as it doesn't seem like you can lose your battle for control (or it's very hard to lose ? ). They don't want realms imbalance to come into play here, when one faction would constantly control it.

:( Damn, I misunderstood that then. And here I was happy for a Wintergrasp like bg.

But since WC3 is one of my favorite games, I'm hyped for it nontheless. It cant be that bad right?

Blizz has always gated content in WoW, at least since WotLK even if it was just with rep barriers, so you can't say that Legion is when they started gating. As much as it can be annoying to have to wait for content to be available, it forces the hardcore players to pace themselves a bit rather than to put in long hours burning through content to get gear/rep faster than the competition.

You have to remember than when WoW started, there weren't people that made their livelihood playing video games like we have now, so it is a control that Blizz uses to ensure that content is consumed at a pace they can (sort of) keep up with.

But as to warfronts, I think they should be PVP enabled, even if only at certain points, rather than full time. Give windows where PVE only players can go kill the rares/world bosses/farm, but most of time toggle PVP since open conflict is the theme of this xpac and the name warfront says it all.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Jebusluvu said:

But as to warfronts, I think they should be PVP enabled, even if only at certain points, rather than full time. Give windows where PVE only players can go kill the rares/world bosses/farm, but most of time toggle PVP since open conflict is the theme of this xpac and the name warfront says it all.

IIRC you don't get flagged unless you want when you faction holds the zone, but if you visit Arathi when the enemy holds the zone you will get auto-flagged.

1 hour ago, Jebusluvu said:

Blizz has always gated content in WoW, at least since WotLK even if it was just with rep barriers, so you can't say that Legion is when they started gating. As much as it can be annoying to have to wait for content to be available, it forces the hardcore players to pace themselves a bit rather than to put in long hours burning through content to get gear/rep faster than the competition.

It was never to that extent. Some bosses remained blocked initially, but it only mattered for top guilds. Now, even basic expansion features are gated. I dislike it especially when "lore" content is gated, for example Nightborne storyline (each step unlocked one per week).

For hardcore players, this probably doesn't change that much for them. They had to grind anyway, since Legion had artifact power and this returns in form of medallion. So instead of farming raids, like in older expansions, they will simply spend that time on another grind. As a non-hardcore player, I kinda wish mission table haven't made into another expansion, just like artifact power grind. I get it, they want some form of progression past max level, but for me that form was always fulfilled by simply getting better, like all those raiding guilds will get better gear than me much earlier, while others have to wait for next content patch.