FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Ghuerilla

Single Target Rotation Questions

Hello everyone,

I've recently started trying to gear my shadow priest as an alt which has been sitting as a fresh 90 for a good few months now. I've read the full shadow priest guide and I have a question about the single target rotation.

The #3 priority on the list is to cast Shadow Word: Death (when the target is below 20%). However, the sub-point says to ALWAYS cast this twice in a row because of the double cast proc every 8 or 9 seconds. But what if, after casting Shadow Word: Death (the first time), I now have 3 shadow orbs, making Devouring Plague (#1) the new priority? In this case, say I use Devouring Plague and then Mind Blast, assuming it is now off cooldown. Shadow Word: Death is next on the priority list but I've noticed that on boss fights, even though it's been 4 seconds or more since the last cast, it still generates no shadow orbs when I cast it and the cooldown is still the full 8 seconds before I can use it again. Is there a way to track how long it will be before the "second cast" of Shadow Word: Death expires so I can use it again to generate a shadow orb without resetting the entire cooldown? Or should I just cast it twice every time it is available to avoid this situation, ignoring the priority list?

Along the same lines, the rotation is also confusing me in that at the bottom of the priority list is also Shadow Word: Death when it is the 2nd cast that generates no shadow orbs. I am seeing this as contradicting priority #3, which says to always cast the spell twice when it is available, meaning that a second cast should never be available anyway after using Mind Flay.

I am probably interpreting the literal meaning of the rotation incorrectly but the mechanics of Shadow Word: Death itself are confusing me right now and I would really appreciate clarification on this from any experienced shadow priest. Thanks!

spell_shadow_demonicfortitude.jpgShadow Word: Death had some mechanics changes with 5.4: before it was beneficial to use it once and wait ~6s before using it again (for the orb generation cd to reset), now you should always double tap it.

Edited by D4n13le

you can hold on to the DP while you get a second death or refresh pain. you have a little leeway from getting DP to when you need to cast it.