FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Peelyon

Voice Communication

We currently use Ventrilo and our current contract is pretty much up (end of July)

Although I've heard a little about Mumble and Teamspeak I was wondering if anyone had experiences with them?

Are any of them free? We are probably looking for something free at least until MoP (but would still need to be reliable).

I value the opinion of you guys over anything I read on the t'internets!

Cheers

Mumble is so much better than Ventrilo it's not even close. I pay $8.00/month for my Guildwork website that includes a free, upgraded version of Mumble. When I pug on alts who use Vent, I hate it. I almost just leave the group. Mumble has a plethora of free servers to use. Just download Mumble123 and pick a room to test it out with a friend. I promise you...you won't regret it. Just don't skip through the set up calibration process...this is why it's so much better than any other program.

I've always used Teamspeak and I think it's pretty good. You can just download the Teamspeak server and have someone in your guild with a good connection run the server on their computer. That's what Vlad used to do for our guild. You can't do this with Ventrilo, as you need to pay for a license before being able to use it. I don't know about Mumble, but as Zagam, I've always hated using Ventrilo.

My connection is pretty solid (fibre optic). Is setting up your own Teamspeak server easy then?

I'll defo do some more research on them both. I think when it came to Ventrilo it was the most common around at the time and because I'd used it as a PUG joining other peoples vent servers I just went with them.

Obviously free is better than paying (especially at the moment) so will have a look at them both for sure :D

My connection is pretty solid (fibre optic). Is setting up your own Teamspeak server easy then?

If Vlad managed to do it, then anyone can do it, believe me :P

If Vlad managed to do it, then anyone can do it, believe me Posted Image

Haha Im in the process of setting one up now but having to make a static ip address. This is all way over my head ;) I ju8st about know where to plug in my keyboard :P

All sorted with Teamspeak, managed to follow a 12 year old on youtube (his 5minute video took me over an hour to do myself though haha).

Very happy with it so far just for the sheer fact that I know its all setup and its "my" server if that makes sense.

Cheers for the mumble review anyway Zagam was much appreciated!

Ah I don't like teamspeak, some of our Danish folks have a problem with it.

Our vent I am very happy with as it is pretty fast, not crackily and our old GM pays for it.

YEHY KEV xxx (even though he doesn't read this)