FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Deathstrider

AoE Tanking in Dungeons

Hello. I have just read the guide and I wonder how to deal with multiple targets.

The guide tells "We heavily recommend Holy Shield Icon Holy Shield", however i do not understand how shall i keep aggro from all other trash mobs, if i dont have blessed hammer? Am i missing something or is consecration the only ability which is supposed to generate aoe damage as protection paladin? I mean, the trash mobs in dungeon runs are mostly being gathered and bombed together, but how to keep their aggro on the tank? What am i missing?

I was having aggro problems as a prot pally at the open of BFA. Consecration, hammer and Avenger shield wasn't enough out the gate with some of these high output dps. I run Blessed hammer at the moment and it fixed the problem right quick. 

I have zero issues with aggro, even running with crazy DPS opening with Frost Breath and Scourge Bombers etc. and I have not once had to spec for Blessed Hammer. This is what you do:

- Use Inspiring Vanguard and Soaring Shield azerite traits. Very excellent for AoE tanking!

- Make sure the mobs are in a cone in front of you when you use SOTR, as it cleaves now and the damage is non trivial.

- L30 talent: First Avenger. Great for AoE DPS as well as providing free interrupts.

- L100 talent: Last Defender. Very high value with more than one target up.

• Like 2

I used to have Blessed Hammer as well as First Avenger, but I changed to Holy Shield and Crusader's judgement. yes, you need to stand in consecration for HoTR to do AoE damage, but you should stand in that anyway for the damage reduction. I also found that Judgment is my main dps thingy (in raids more then double that of AS.  And as Judgment decreases the SoTR cd and you then have 2 charges gives you way more extra armor uptime. Hardly have any struggle getting aggro most of the times, only when you need to pull and kite blessed hammer seems more convenient