ThomasC

Trouble with DPS in Dungeons/Mythics

12 posts in this topic

Hello all,

 

I have historically played destro for M+, but have been dissatisfied with its damage output in BFA thus far. I have been playing around with affliction and demo in dungeons, but am usually last on the meters due to the lack of burst and low haste. Also, the nerf to seed of corruption has put me in a bind as well...

Is anyone else having similar trouble? What spec and talents are you using?

 

I appreciate the help!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ThomasC said:

Hello all,

 

I have historically played destro for M+, but have been dissatisfied with its damage output in BFA thus far. I have been playing around with affliction and demo in dungeons, but am usually last on the meters due to the lack of burst and low haste. Also, the nerf to seed of corruption has put me in a bind as well...

Is anyone else having similar trouble? What spec and talents are you using?

 

I appreciate the help!

Overall, I am personally favouring Destro at the moment. It may not be the highest damage over all circumstances however, it is far more flexible in my opinion. If I want ST/priority damage then I save infernal. If I need to blast some trash or adds on boss I have Cata, CDF and 3CBs and/or 2 Conflags to Havoc etc depending on the situation. Affy certainly does not have the same level of versatility and Demo has zilch spread cleave (outside of Doom which has little place in a dungeon at the moment).

For Destro I am doing FO, RE, Cata, RB and CDF. It works for me anyhow.

Affy DB, AC, PS, Haunt, CD.

Demo Dstr, DC, SS, G:F, SS

These are just the talents I have personally found the best overall so far but I need to do a LOT more dungeons to form a true impression. Play around, this is a great time to experiment.

At the end of the day all specs have their strengths (and weaknesses). Depending on the dungeon and your group you may find one suits better over another and see what is best for you. Also as stuff lives longer certain specs will definitely gain more power.

In my opinion you do not get much value from comparing to other specs outside of warlock. Don't expect to beat specs like warriors, frosts and certain rogues. Also haste is definitely not as important as it used to be.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Spikey!

I adjusted my talents and am running Destro for now, it is giving me the highest average DPS in a dungeon.

 

I am hoping that Demo and Affliction in M+ once keys will be more viable are introduced (for me) and I can successfully ramp up my damage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been running with a Demo Lock consistently and done many Mythics with him. He found that the following talent build worked best for him for damage output with movement, also taking into account the current gear levels and scaling. The Azerite armor pieces have only main stat which is really hurting casters, who depend heavily on secondary stats. Play wise, it is very helpful to Demo if the tank chain pulls, which allows the Warlock to sustain his demons, and therefore his damage from pack to pack. It is also of course beneficial to run with at least 1 other ranged DPS in order to split the targeting from abilities that hit ranged players.

L15: Bilescourge Bombers

L30: Power Siphon

L60: Summon Vilefiend

L90: Inner Demons

L100: Sacrificed Souls

Edited by Tarazet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Tarazet said:

The Azerite armor pieces have only main stat which is really hurting casters, who depend heavily on secondary stats

Which is offset by the Heart neckpiece, so it's actually not hurting you at all unless Versatility is your main stat. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ThomasC said:

Thanks Spikey!

I adjusted my talents and am running Destro for now, it is giving me the highest average DPS in a dungeon.

 

I am hoping that Demo and Affliction in M+ once keys will be more viable are introduced (for me) and I can successfully ramp up my damage.

Demo and Affy are perfectly viable in mythics in my opinion and will shine in the ones more suited to them. If you are with a crazy AoE group then Affy will look a little lower however, at the same time you should realise that another AoE'er is not important and priority target damage will probably be much more valued.

Demo feels better, to me, if your tank can chain pull but I have been pleasantly surprised by its trash damage. I really don't feel as useful when it play it though compared to Destro in losing a baseline interrupt, a purge and the ability to split cleave. Of course for a slight DPS hit I could actually play with the doggy and take non-felguard talents but that feels a little weird to me!

While I personally haven't played Demo that much in dungeons yet I haven't been able to make Bilescourge bombers work in in sims or practice. However, many of the tiers are fluid depending on whether you want to go CDs for priority or more sustained.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Destro will need a small to medium buff to remain competitive in higher level content we have great burst but out entire kit is cd dependent currently we are lagging behind in terms of raw numbers and being a turret spec we only fall further behind with our lack of mobility and snap dps.

Afflic cares more about mastery than haste so thats not the issue, neither demo or afflic are burst specs and have pretty decent ramp up times

Edited by Emphatic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On ‎9‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 7:41 AM, Emphatic said:

Destro will need a small to medium buff to remain competitive in higher level content we have great burst but out entire kit is cd dependent currently we are lagging behind in terms of raw numbers and being a turret spec we only fall further behind with our lack of mobility and snap dps.

Afflic cares more about mastery than haste so thats not the issue, neither demo or afflic are burst specs and have pretty decent ramp up times

 So my understanding is that Affliction absolutely is a burst spec right now, but it's in the form of a God Mode Azerite trait providing a "bonus cooldown." Specifically Inevitable Demise. It's so good right now that almost every highly progressed Warlock is stacking this trait on every piece.

They stack up the buff to 100, blow their cooldowns and get a 25-30 second burst window that is ridiculously good. It's complicated to execute and can be ruined by any interruption whatsoever, but if you can get it off, the burst damage is like nothing else in the game right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Destro Lock. I am having issues with DPS in dungeons I cant ramp up enough dps to even attempt Mythic. changed my main to DH lock has no haste. 11% at item level 318 so slow at casting . I am not enjoying playing.   locks get hardly any haste.. at 110 I had 39% now 11% its pathetic.. played her 11 yrs this year.  

Edited by maggie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, maggie said:

Destro Lock. I am having issues with DPS in dungeons I cant ramp up enough dps to even attempt Mythic. changed my main to DH lock has no haste. 11% at item level 318 so slow at casting . I am not enjoying playing.   locks get hardly any haste.. at 110 I had 39% now 11% its pathetic.. played her 11 yrs this year.  

When I was 340 I was still on 7% haste. Does it feel the best? Not at all. I am now on 14% haste and my CB, Cata and CDF have dropped by only 0.2 secs each. Do you really think you will much more burst in that time? No way. Also while I may not have had a lot of haste I had more of other stats which at the end of the day is still damage. 

So what are your talents and your opening sequence? I would look much closer at that rather than worrying about stats which at the end of the day you cannot control. Destro is actually pretty bursty in AoE in my opinion, its issue is more sustained (though yes we are getting buffed next week).  

Of course if you have a group of strong AoE'ers then yes in normals/heroics a lot of things will die before you can do much but that gets better in regular mythics. Then when those start dying quick again you will feel some drop off when your CDs are not up again for the next pack. 

Of course if you are not happy then perhaps it is time for another change. It is not going to feel much different any time soon. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are any of you feeling the difference with the 5% buff destro/demo received on Tuesday? Or the 20% reduction in darkglare damage in affliction?

 

I raided and ran dungeons with demo this week and was not disappointed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ThomasC said:

Are any of you feeling the difference with the 5% buff destro/demo received on Tuesday? Or the 20% reduction in darkglare damage in affliction?

 

I raided and ran dungeons with demo this week and was not disappointed. 

The Demonbolt nerf actually hurt Affy's burst more than the Darkglare one in my opinion. Destro's and Affy's burst seem a bit more on par now (assuming Destro is running GoSup and Crashing Chaos). Overall Affy should still excel in sustained ST DPS and it has a LOT better mobility than Destro.

I've always been happy with Demo's Aoe so the buff was a nice bonus. It's sustained ST DPs is good as well however, it doesn't have the on demand burst that the other two specs have which can be so nice for nuke phases and the like. I've already said this many times but Demo's overall toolkit is rather weak in my opinion and the other specs can generally do more or do it much better.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.