FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Drogok

Frost Pve Question

Hi guys, I just have one question on pve when I'm using glacial spike. I've read that you are supposed to only cast Glacial Spike in case you have a Brain Freeze proc. What if I have 5 icicles but my Brain Freeze just doesn't proc? Do I just keep spamming frostbolt untill I have my Brain Freeze proc (assuming my fingers of frost don't stack at 2)? Or is there a moment when you let the Glacial Spike off without Brain Freeze? What If I'm casting like 5 frostbolts and Brain Freeze just don't proc?

Hey there!

As far as I know you really should keep fishing for a Brain Freeze proc. You can use Ebonbolt to force a proc, but since it has 45 seconds cooldown you might have to keep spamming Frostbolt even if it is the 4th or 5th cast at 5 Icicles.

Long time lurker, hey all.

In the situation described by the OP, fishing for BF while at 5 icicles, should I not hold my FoF procs also? Except for when I have to move and shimmer is not an option.

Welcome Redroma ?

Since we want to cast as much Glacial Spike + Flurry + Ice Lance combos, yes keep your FoF procs till you have the Brain Freeze proc. But as you already say you want to use the FoF procs in movement situations.

Though you should keep in mind that you want to use Glacial Spike whenever ready if there is more than 1 target and you have Splitting Ice skilled.

Edited by Lily
add Splitting Ice hint

Why would you hold on to FoF procs until brain freeze? As far i have understood, the flurry will make your ice lance shatter anyway. I would rather say that casting a FoF ice lance after the brain freezed flurry wastes the FoF. 

Is there something i have missed?

13 hours ago, Strathos said:

Why would you hold on to FoF procs until brain freeze? As far i have understood, the flurry will make your ice lance shatter anyway. I would rather say that casting a FoF ice lance after the brain freezed flurry wastes the FoF. 

Is there something i have missed?

No, you're completely right. Flurry makes a directly followed Ice Lance shatter and it would waste the FoF proc. But the priority to get your Glacial Spike out is higher than switching to get rid of FoF procs.

I'm so confused. I'm doing the rota right, my simc says i should be doing 10,7k dps @ 340 but i'm only doing around 8-10k. My rota: 

Pre FB>Orb>Veins>Lances>Comet Storm> FB (Bf Procc, Flurry-Lance)> EB if i'm at 5 Stacks of Icicles and have no Bf procc ready, then Glacial Spike>Flurry> Lance, and then the same shit again. I'm always doing insta flurry before spike if i'm at 0-2 stacks of icicles, and if i'm at 3-5 stacks i'm using the flurry for spike to shatter. Am i doing something wrong ?

1 hour ago, MuchenTuchen said:

I'm so confused. I'm doing the rota right, my simc says i should be doing 10,7k dps @ 340 but i'm only doing around 8-10k. My rota: 

Pre FB>Orb>Veins>Lances>Comet Storm> FB (Bf Procc, Flurry-Lance)> EB if i'm at 5 Stacks of Icicles and have no Bf procc ready, then Glacial Spike>Flurry> Lance, and then the same shit again. I'm always doing insta flurry before spike if i'm at 0-2 stacks of icicles, and if i'm at 3-5 stacks i'm using the flurry for spike to shatter. Am i doing something wrong ?

First off, simcraft calculates a DPS value for a patchwork fight by default. Meaning a single target fight where you don't have to move in any situation but can just do your rotation.

Your rotation looks good in general. Only thing to mention is, that you maybe shouldn't use veins and orb together. Icy VeinsIcy Veins just increases your casting speed and you want to spick as many FBs in there as possible to get the maximum value (more BF procs and more GS) out of it. But Frozen OrbFrozen Orb will generate FoF procs for you. So if you use both together you will probably reach two FoF procs but while getting rid of them your Icy Veins has not effect.

Personally I delay Frozen Orb till Icy Veins runs out (except if there are multiple enemies).