FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Hyunlan

Struggling with Holy?

Hey,

I'm posting because I am reaching a point where I feel like there must be something I'm missing and can't determine myself what it is. My current experience in current content is that my ilevel 323 is together with guildies I know are geared enough to handle mythics successfully and running heroics and every pull is an absolute struggle. I have read every guide here and elsewhere, watched videos, and played around with talents to no avail. I am not new to the class or healing as I heal in various games and healed for years on WoW though I didn't play priest in Legion.

The best way I can describe it is healing feels like trying to heal with broken or below level gear at all times. Guides describe being able to start out with PoM, Heal, and Renews for low damage and cast Flash Heal as damage ramps up. The last few heroics I've done I've had to spam Flash Heal and everything in between just to get through trash and where I was managing mana very well before now I am burning through half my mana or more. There is no grace period, just a constant spam that is extremely frustrating and uncomfortable to play. I do not expect this content to be easy, but I expect to be able to play where at least occasionally there is room to breathe. I expect some amount of panic and popping big cooldowns to survive accidental big pulls or emergencies, but not as intended play with appropriate CC's up and the like. When accidents happen it's almost a guaranteed wipe since I am giving it everything I've got just to progress normally.

Coming back after the time I've gone away from the game I expect to be rusty and require practice, but I'm struggling to figure out what I am doing wrong playing according to what the guides are telling me to do to be having as hard a time as I'm having. My guild is looking to start raiding when Uldir opens up and right now I feel extremely disappointed in my own performance, so I am seeking advice so I can improve and be a player they can rely on.

I am posting my armory link as well as the armory links of the tanks I ran with (one and two) and if a log is necessary (and possible to pull from dungeons below mythic+) I will provide.

Any pointers are much appreciated!
Thanks!

Edited by Hyunlan

On 8/31/2018 at 5:34 AM, Hyunlan said:

Hey,

I'm posting because I am reaching a point where I feel like there must be something I'm missing and can't determine myself what it is. My current experience in current content is that my ilevel 323 is together with guildies I know are geared enough to handle mythics successfully and running heroics and every pull is an absolute struggle. I have read every guide here and elsewhere, watched videos, and played around with talents to no avail. I am not new to the class or healing as I heal in various games and healed for years on WoW though I didn't play priest in Legion.

The best way I can describe it is healing feels like trying to heal with broken or below level gear at all times. Guides describe being able to start out with PoM, Heal, and Renews for low damage and cast Flash Heal as damage ramps up. The last few heroics I've done I've had to spam Flash Heal and everything in between just to get through trash and where I was managing mana very well before now I am burning through half my mana or more. There is no grace period, just a constant spam that is extremely frustrating and uncomfortable to play. I do not expect this content to be easy, but I expect to be able to play where at least occasionally there is room to breathe. I expect some amount of panic and popping big cooldowns to survive accidental big pulls or emergencies, but not as intended play with appropriate CC's up and the like. When accidents happen it's almost a guaranteed wipe since I am giving it everything I've got just to progress normally.

Coming back after the time I've gone away from the game I expect to be rusty and require practice, but I'm struggling to figure out what I am doing wrong playing according to what the guides are telling me to do to be having as hard a time as I'm having. My guild is looking to start raiding when Uldir opens up and right now I feel extremely disappointed in my own performance, so I am seeking advice so I can improve and be a player they can rely on.

I am posting my armory link as well as the armory links of the tanks I ran with (one and two) and if a log is necessary (and possible to pull from dungeons below mythic+) I will provide.

Any pointers are much appreciated!
Thanks!

Hi Hyunlan,
1. You need more haste. At least 10-15%.
2. You have way too many items with versatility.
3. Use "Binding Heal" (M+) or "Surge of Light" (Raid) instead of "Circle of Healing".
4. Use "Benediction" instead of "Divine Star" and "Halo".
("Divine Star" and "Halo" are very dangerous in M+/dungeons)

My Priest , as an example, needs more crit for M+.
M+/Dungeons
Critical Strike/Haste > Mastery
Raid
Mastery > Haste/Critical Strike

Just my opinion but I hope it helps.
Greetings
Achi

I don't have any experience yet with Priest in BfA, but what I can say from playing Mistweaver and RestoDruid is that healing in general has become a lot tougher compared to Legion. Even with full mythic gear and every available spell, there are still situations where I have to use defensive cooldowns on the tank, and those situations aren't rare.

I'm not sure what Blizzard's plan is, I was under the impression they wanted to encourage Healers dabbling in some supportive DPS. Maybe they changed their mind?

Hyunlan

Its most likely not you its your tank and DPS...in Mythic there are trash pulls that require interrupts or mass damage occurs...all of above posts will help...but in end if you are in a position to have to consistently spam Flash Heal or binding heal, or spam anything continually there is likely a mechanic that someone is trying to skip or doesn't know about. For sure there are times when damage intake will be high, but shouldn't be the norm. If your constantly spam healing a tank, ask them to push a mitigation button...I've seen DK tanks out heal me in fights...tanks shouldn't need a lot of healing...

Cheers,

BTW I play a Holy priest in BFA and like you found myself spamming...wiping...etc...then we tried a Motherload+5, everyone payed attention, interrupted the appropriate trash and was very easy to heal realtive to chain pulling Mythic+0