FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Butchertron

Gearing up as prot paladin, then respecc?

Hello!

I'm currently specced as a prot paladin for the sake of ease when running dungeons. I have barely no downtime between dungeons and its a simple job and nice way to gear up.

Now lets say that i get to ilvl 350 as prot, then respecc to like ret for pvp-purposes. My main stats will be as high as they were as when I was prot but my secondary stats would be completetly off for DPS.

Now would I still benefit from my high ilvl as another specc or would my secondary stats let me down as a dps?

Is it possible? Or how do you aquire gear for other speccs other than your own? 

Regards Butch (returning player since BC) ?

Edited by Butchertron

5 hours ago, Butchertron said:

Hello!

I'm currently specced as a prot paladin for the sake of ease when running dungeons. I have barely no downtime between dungeons and its a simple job and nice way to gear up.

Now lets say that i get to ilvl 350 as prot, then respecc to like ret for pvp-purposes. My main stats will be as high as they were as when I was prot but my secondary stats would be completetly off for DPS.

Now would I still benefit from my high ilvl as another specc or would my secondary stats let me down as a dps?

Is it possible? Or how do you aquire gear for other speccs other than your own? 

Regards Butch (returning player since BC) ?

Given that both specs enjoy Haste quite a bit, I'd be surprised if your stats are that far off moving from Prot to Ret.

Additionally, given the way that Blizz has PvP working now, your secondary stat balance doesn't actually matter at all. Every class is given a template of stats, and your ilevel boosts that by a small percentage for every ilevel that you have above their base

That is to say, I do exactly the same thing - I gear all of my characters in their 'utility' roles as it were, and gradually pick up gear that I can use for my main one(s).

You can right click your portrait picture and change your loot specialization. So when you run dungeons as a tank more specific ret gear will drop for you. 

I queue up as tank to avoid long queue times and set my loot spec to offspecs. I believe all gear slots scale with offspecs aside from weapons/trinkets. Note that if you change specs and don't have multiple pieces of Azerite gear, you must reset them to be able to select new traits.

2 hours ago, Carrn said:

Given that both specs enjoy Haste quite a bit, I'd be surprised if your stats are that far off moving from Prot to Ret.

Additionally, given the way that Blizz has PvP working now, your secondary stat balance doesn't actually matter at all. Every class is given a template of stats, and your ilevel boosts that by a small percentage for every ilevel that you have above their base

That is to say, I do exactly the same thing - I gear all of my characters in their 'utility' roles as it were, and gradually pick up gear that I can use for my main one(s).

Ok thanks, nice information!

2 hours ago, Anatasia said:

You can right click your portrait picture and change your loot specialization. So when you run dungeons as a tank more specific ret gear will drop for you. 

Wow didn't know that! Thank you!

/Butch

Protection and Retribution gear is quite similar. Even a lot of the trinkets work well for both, as long as they give stats rather than some non-stat effect. The main difference is the weapons and the Azerite pieces, since the traits that are the best for DPS are really bad for tanking. You're going to want to have two sets of Azerite gear.

Switching to healing is a bit more of a challenge, since most of the trinkets will not work and you want heavy Crit/Mastery weighting. But I've been able to get enough off-pieces to make that work as well. The same shields work for both Protection and Holy, which is super helpful because I've only got one!