FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

Uldir Mythic WF Race Day 1: 4 Bosses Down

WSDbaEX.jpg

It's been an interesting first day as the US and OC guilds had their alone time with Uldir's bosses, and they came out 4 bosses in front! Slightly surprisingly, it wasn't Limit that came out as the clear winners, as Big Dumb Guild took the initiative and finished up in the lead.

As usual things started explosively, with four guilds quickly dispatching the first boss, Taloc the Corrupted, with little time between them. Mother, the second boss, took a whole 24 minutes to down and both World First kills went the way of Big Dumb Guild. Trailing them were Limit, Midwinter, Wildcard Gaming and Vision, comprising the top 5 on 2/8. Here are the two World First kill videos from Big Dumb Guild:

Taloc World First kill by BDG

Mother World First kill by BDG

This is where things got interesting, however, as guilds started diverging on their paths through Uldir. Limit was the first to pop up to 3/8, grabbing a kill on Zek'voz, Herald of N'zoth, around one and a half hours after their Mother kill. Wildcard Gaming also got to that 3/8 status through Zek, with Big Dumb Guild falling off the map for a little while. At this point, guilds headed to Heroics and even Normals to  buff up their gear a little, and BDG came back in a big way as they also came up to 3/8, but they went the way of Vectis and got a World First for their efforts!

vectis-banner-08-08-18-09-35-44-5-11-09-

Alacrity, Vision, Midwinter and Blood Legion followed Limit's path and grabbed their own Zek'voz kills, making it 6 guilds now on 3/8. Finally, Big Dumb Guild had one more move up their sleeves, as they finally managed to get the popular Zek'voz down and moved up to 4/8, taking the lead ahead of Limit and were the only guild to have downed 4 bosses for quite a while. Just at the very end of the progress day, however, Limit managed to get back to the top and down Vectis World 2nd, joining BDG on that 4/8 half-way point. Fetid Devourer was obviously an issue as all guilds avoided him, and Blizzard took note and nerfed him just before Limit's Vectis kill:

Vectis World First kill by BDG

And so day 1 has ended, with EU guilds waking up soon and servers being up and ready. Only 4 bosses died, which is far less than some expected, which may indicate Uldir won't be your typical easy introduction raid. However, Method and Exorsus will be entering the field shortly and only then will we see just how tough these bosses really are.

And to finish up, let's take a look at some stats. 169 guilds have managed to down at least Taloc in Mythic Uldir, while that number drastically drops to 32 when Mother and 2/8 enters the equation, and down to only 7 with Zek'voz and 3/8, with only BDG and Limit having downed Vectis, as previously mentioned.

As always, thanks to Method's raid progress coverage for all the info, and you can check out their live updates here, as well as the guild's streaming of the race here.

VPZSxXV.jpg

• Like 1

I wonder if this will take much longer than Emerald Nightmare. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't, BDG being 4/8 provides a really good lead for them, hopefully they don't lose it. But It would be amazing if Exorsus or Method steals the world first G'huun kill! Good luck to all who are participating!

Edited by Rhondis

1 hour ago, Rhondis said:

I wonder if this will take much longer than Emerald Nightmare. I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't

Hard to say for sure of course, but Hazzikostas did mention that they dropped the ball on making Xavius Mythic hard enough at the time and that they regretted that... I think he said it in a dev Q/A that was leading up to the Trial of Valor raid.

So, assuming they spent more time on tuning G'huun to make sure it was at least somewhat harder than Xavius, just that boss alone might be enough to delay the World Clear to take longer than EN. You are right though, unlikely to take much longer than EN, this is an entry level-raid even if it's mythic. Mechanics tend to get harder towards the later tiers of an xpac, even on Mythic.

The final three last bosses of Uldir already look harder on Heroic than the respective ones in EN. The first of them, Zul, is a pretty steep gear check for your raid making it one of the hardest (if not the hardest) bosses of Uldir. Mythrax is more manageable but still tricky and G'huun is quite interesting for the first last boss of BFA.

That's of course on Heroic, I don't know much about the Mythic tactics on these bosses. I know that you need to do both Matrixes simultaneously on G'huun Mythic and let's hope for some more spicy mythic tactics compared to Xavius.

• Like 1

Just kidding, Fetid had 40% more HP than intended on adds and 25% on boss (hotfixed now).

We'll see if this is enough to take him down :) also even though the others died already it certainly wasn't easy!

Why call this a race if US can start 1 day earlier... I don't understand why not open mythic in the same time, for hardcore raiders who attend in this race not matter how much time is it so time zones would be no problem. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dejo93 said:

What's that? Another hotfix?

Imagine my shock

The real problem isn't that they needed another hotfix, because I'd rather them use those than patches. The problem is this "hotfix" is being reported at 40% health on adds that you absolutely must kill and 25% on the boss himself.

For a boss that the entire mechanic is a DPS race against enrage and adds heal, these health changes are incredibly massive. How does Blizzard not have their own mythic raid team to at least attempt to test these. If they had to tune it by like 5-10% total I'd be more understanding. These numbers are just astronomical when you know the fight mechanics.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Yridaa said:

Hard to say for sure of course, but Hazzikostas did mention that they dropped the ball on making Xavius Mythic hard enough at the time and that they regretted that... I think he said it in a dev Q/A that was leading up to the Trial of Valor raid.

I had no idea that Xavius was under tuned, makes sense why he was tad easy in Heroics when I was pugging EN when it first came out. At least four guilds are 4/8 right now with Method catching up. It may be cleared by the end of today honestly.

6 hours ago, Hypersonic said:

Why call this a race if US can start 1 day earlier... I don't understand why not open mythic in the same time, for hardcore raiders who attend in this race not matter how much time is it so time zones would be no problem. 

The dirty little secret here is that the guilds are not complaining because the EU still gets all the important World Firsts, even with a day disadvantage. If the US/OC started cleaning up raids you'd better believe there would be a huge mass of complaints forcing Blizzard to do something about it. The real victims here (IMO) are Asian guilds, who are TWO days after US and one day after EU, but they aren't that vocal/heard at all.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Starym said:

The dirty little secret here is that the guilds are not complaining because the EU still gets all the important World Firsts, even with a day disadvantage. If the US/OC started cleaning up raids you'd better believe there would be a huge mass of complaints forcing Blizzard to do something about it. The real victims here (IMO) are Asian guilds, who are TWO days after US and one day after EU, but they aren't that vocal/heard at all.

pretty much this. Method started at 2am (central at least) and they still caught up on bosses despite being down 4. Also you know, being the ones with most world first raid clears lately. And no one really... cares, about the bosses aside from the final one in the mythic race

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Yridaa said:

unlikely to take much longer than EN, this is an entry level-raid even if it's mythic.

Looks like it might take longer than a day, maybe more than a week if Fetid devourer proves to be this much of a road block.

9 hours ago, Laragon said:

The real problem isn't that they needed another hotfix, because I'd rather them use those than patches. The problem is this "hotfix" is being reported at 40% health on adds that you absolutely must kill and 25% on the boss himself.

For a boss that the entire mechanic is a DPS race against enrage and adds heal, these health changes are incredibly massive. How does Blizzard not have their own mythic raid team to at least attempt to test these. If they had to tune it by like 5-10% total I'd be more understanding. These numbers are just astronomical when you know the fight mechanics.

That's because BFA is still in beta. 😛 But seriously I agree completely, and it's not just raid tuning. There are classes that were/are in such a bad state coming into the expansion that having them get through all of beta without any significant tuning or reworks is in my opinion, unacceptable. Then again, this isn't the first time this has happened.

1 hour ago, Maxkitty said:

That's because BFA is still in beta. 😛 But seriously I agree completely, and it's not just raid tuning. There are classes that were/are in such a bad state coming into the expansion that having them get through all of beta without any significant tuning or reworks is in my opinion, unacceptable. Then again, this isn't the first time this has happened.

I mean, I can't imagine it's easy to tune what like 36 or so specs, especially when they aren't all getting the same amount of testing (beta, because most people in the beta aren't testing things to report to blizz) AND they also said more than a few specs are getting hefty changes/reworks in 8.1. It's really... really hard to balance all classes so 2 or 3 underperforming isn't super surprising 

17 minutes ago, Aegrotat said:

I mean, I can't imagine it's easy to tune what like 36 or so specs, especially when they aren't all getting the same amount of testing (beta, because most people in the beta aren't testing things to report to blizz) AND they also said more than a few specs are getting hefty changes/reworks in 8.1. It's really... really hard to balance all classes so 2 or 3 underperforming isn't super surprising 

Yeah, I’m just saying that it kind of makes me wonder why they had to wait till 8.1. And as hard as it is to balance them all, Blizzard isn’t a small indie company, and after all the feedback on balance recently, it just hasn’t been taken. Balance in general seems worse now than it’s been in a very long time.

Edited by Maxkitty

19 minutes ago, Maxkitty said:

Yeah, I’m just saying that it kind of makes me wonder why they had to wait till 8.1. And as hard as it is to balance them all, Blizzard isn’t a small indie company, and after all the feedback on balance recently, it just hasn’t been taken. Balance in general seems worse now than it’s been in a very long time.

idk maybe, from what I've seen classes have been pretty close. I haven't felt like below mythic raid one tank is just hands down worthless, same with healers. And with a few already noted exceptions (I'm looking at you ele and feral) the dps don't seem that drastically different.

I'd kinda prefer them doing small number tweaks over time then a big update later if need be than just jumping head first into a massive update. League does that and it's always so haphazard that it'll take a champion from 40% win rate to 70% in one patch (I know it's not the same but the premise is there)