FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Kilazar

Glacial Spike on brain freeze only?

I'm trying to figure out what I'm missing here. The rotation guide says to not hard cast Gspike. It says to only cast if brain freeze is up. Is the guide out of date? Or am I missing an interaction somewhere? As brain freeze doesn't affect Glacial spike. It only makes flurry instant. 

Edited by Kilazar

Some one correct me if I am wrong, but if I am not mistaken you are suppose to cast Glacial Spike and then IMMEDIATELY after cast flurry. By the time the glacial spike actually hits the target, it should be affected by flurry.

14 hours ago, Granis said:

Some one correct me if I am wrong, but if I am not mistaken you are suppose to cast Glacial Spike and then IMMEDIATELY after cast flurry. By the time the glacial spike actually hits the target, it should be affected by flurry.

Yes, this is correct. An immediate Flurry (using the Brain Freeze proc) after casting Glacial Spike will result in a shattered enemy so Glacial Spike might crit (or will if we Frost mages will reach 33% crit some day this expansion). Flurry simply has a faster animation and will hit the target earlier than Glacial Spike. Therefore it is mandatory to cast an instant Flurry right after Glacial Spike!

On 9/16/2018 at 4:28 PM, Lily said:

Yes, this is correct. An immediate Flurry (using the Brain Freeze proc) after casting Glacial Spike will result in a shattered enemy so Glacial Spike might crit (or will if we Frost mages will reach 33% crit some day this expansion). Flurry simply has a faster animation and will hit the target earlier than Glacial Spike. Therefore it is mandatory to cast an instant Flurry right after Glacial Spike!

So if i have brain freeze active and i cast GS > Flurry > Ice Lance do both GS & Ice lance benefit from shatter?

3 hours ago, hallda12 said:

So if i have brain freeze active and i cast GS > Flurry > Ice Lance do both GS & Ice lance benefit from shatter?

Yes, that is the hole intention behind this combo ?

Combo like mentioned above but keep these things  in mind...

1. If you have 3+ icicles and a brain freeze proc you must save it for the glacial spike. Ebonbolt is there for you in case you don't get one by your 5th icicle. At 2 or less use the BF on a frostbolt combo. Pet freeze and frost nova  (more annoying to do) also give you the shatter on freezable mobs. 

2. With splitting ice talented and 2 target up you do not need BF for  your GS. Still use them on GS  but if you hit 5 with no Ebonbolt or BF up cast  GS.

Another thing is distance. You need travel time for GS otherwise it will hit before your GCD allows for Flurry to cast and travel (depends on Haste). This is a real pain on things like Zek'voz where you stack in melee and you want to try be at the back of the pack.