FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
CerealKiller08

Is it just me or...

Are Prot Warriors never secure in the aggro they generate? 

I am new to tanking and rolled a warrior that I have leveled to 51 now by spamming dungeons. My game plan has been to intercept into the mob pack and immediatly tclap to grab aggro of the pack. From there I am shield slamming on CD, tclapping on CD and tossing revenge every time the free proc comes up then filling with devastates (and of course keeping up ignore pain as much as I can and managing other defensive CDs when required). I seem to never really feel secure that I can maintain aggro on the mob packs though and some DPS classes seem to just straight generate more aggro on mobs than I do. Is this normal? Or am I doing something wrong? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Are you switching between targets for shield slams, or are you just staying on one target and let thunderclap/revenge take care of the rest?

I'd recommend using Omen to check which mobs are getting attacked by which player and if they will overtake you in the thread meter.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, jinsu2301 said:

Are you switching between targets for shield slams, or are you just staying on one target and let thunderclap/revenge take care of the rest?

I'd recommend using Omen to check which mobs are getting attacked by which player and if they will overtake you in the thread meter.

The threat meter helped a lot. Really helped me figure out where I was losing aggro at. Thanks for the tip. Also switching my shield bashes helped quite a bit too. Tclap amd revemge I guess just doesn’t generate enough aggro alone.

Thunderclap and cleave used to work well enough for at least 2 expansion packs. They nerfed threat generation hard this expansion. I guess they wanted us to work for our role instead of just being able to time our active mitigation.

I switched to Blood DK this expansion, it seems to do a bit better job at AoE. I honestly do feel like prot warrior needs a couple slight buffs.

Edited by DekklinOfDeath

11 hours ago, DekklinOfDeath said:

Thunderclap and cleave used to work well enough for at least 2 expansion packs. They nerfed threat generation hard this expansion. I guess they wanted us to work for our role instead of just being able to time our active mitigation.

I switched to Blood DK this expansion, it seems to do a bit better job at AoE. I honestly do feel like prot warrior needs a couple slight buffs.

Regarding AoE-DMG and generated Aggro, Prot. Warrior is on a quite good spot. Due to our talents (Unstoppable Force and Booming Voice) your AoE-DPS is pretty high. Even if we havent Avatar ready, AoE threat is just an issue if your DPS-mates pop CD's at pull.

Indeed, warrior do need some adjustment, but not DPS- or threatwise.