FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Piggelin

Why is my DPS so low?

Hi,

I just got sacked from a raid because my DPS was so low (4-5k). I use some dmg meter and see I'm always on the low side. 

I think I'm doing the correct rotation (single target like Fetid), I use Icy veins and ORB when its up and I cast frostbolt until I get a proc on lance or flurry. If I get flurry I try to sneak in a frostbolt before and then immediately flurry so bolt will crit.

I know for Fetid positioning is important for DPS but I stay near a wall so I don't get knocked away. Im starting to think my mage is cursed.

I do not know how to log combat result so I don't have those.

I had 355 ilvl but had to swap some mastery gear for more crit so now im at 351..still my dmg suck compared to others (and by the look of things it looks like they use the same rotation as I do, they just outdmg me)?

int 6578

sta 5804

arm 931

crit 21 % (1168 +16,22%)

haste 10 % (636 +9.35%)

mastery 17 % (677 9,40%)

vers 2 %

avoid 4 %

ench: Torrent of flame (weap) and crit on rings.. + crit gems

Link to my char:

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/argent-dawn/Hybbe

Any ideas why he sucks so much? (I know mastery is high and haste could be better but then I have to go down to ilvl 320 items to get a better balance between those..?)

Thanks.

Hey there ?

First of all: If you could provide some combat logs it would be much easier to give specific hints to your rotation. Maybe other people in your raid logged the combats? Otherwise just head over to warcraftlogs and get yourself used to combat logging. There is no magic doing so ?

Your stats look quite alright to me. Your Off-hand is crap though and therefore you're lacking quite some int. Moreover I am not sure why you're swapping gear and drop 4 itemlevel. In general higher itemlevel result in higher int so you can "ignore" the secondary stats. Did you sim yourself to approve those changes?

You said other mages in your raid are outdamaging you. Are they skilled the way you are? Right now the Glacial Spike build is the go to build, but since it is an extra spell you need to learn it.

The best way to see if you are doing something fundamentally wrong in your rotation is to sim yourself against a dummy.

1. get the Simulationcraft addon, open it with /simc, copy and paste the string into raidbots

2. set the following options: 10,000 iterations, Patchwork, 1 Boss, 10 minutes

3. check "Show all options" and disable all buffs except the ones you have when damaging the dummy (so Arcane Intellect for example)

4. click the "run quick sim" button at the bottom, it might take a few minutes to get through the queue

5. compare that number to 10 minutes of target dummy practice

If those numbers are off by more than 5%, you are doing something wrong in your rotation. Otherwise it might just be an execution problem, then we gonna need some logs.

Edited by jinsu2301

Lily,

thanks. Will try to do a combatlog later after work and post it.

Yeah, offhand is bad. I did not sim results just thought it might be the crit that made big difference but I didnt notice much difference in performance so I swapped back to the ilvl 355 gear now.

Its pug so I dont know how they are specced. (Im not using glacial spike but thermal void)

jinsu,

thanks. I downloaded and installed simu but the /simc command (i type it in chatwindow in wow right?) is not working.. it just says type /help for help ...

I downloaded my char in simu from simu (where you chose realm and char) and ran simulation and it said like 9636 dps. I tried to paste the string in raidbots but got lots of errors so i just downloaded my char directly from raidbots (on the page where you can chose your char).. and it said 11151 dps.

When I do dummy im at 12 500 dps (dropping to 12 200 and maxing at 13 600) (measured in details)

I'm not sure if the above says anything since i cant get /simc to work..

I dont see simu in my addonlist.. do I need to copy something into the wow addons folder? (I just used the simu setup program that was downloaded..)

Anyway I will try to log later and post it. Thanks ?

4 hours ago, Piggelin said:

thanks. I downloaded and installed simu but the /simc command (i type it in chatwindow in wow right?) is not working.. it just says type /help for help ...

I'm not talking about the Simulationcraft standalone application, I'm talking about the WoW addon that can be found on Curse/Twitch. You don't need the application if you use raidbots.

Edited by jinsu2301

I think I'm doing the correct rotation (single target like Fetid), I use Icy veins and ORB when its up and I cast frostbolt until I get a proc on lance or flurry. If I get flurry I try to sneak in a frostbolt before and then immediately flurry so bolt will crit.

I see you are running "Bone chilling" in that case, do you remember to summon Water Elemental and have it assist you, it actually does a significant amount of damage during raid/dungeon. Otherwise Lonely Winter to always buff damage from spells. (Personally I run Ice Nova, but it takes getting used to).

You should not run Splitting Ice when you dont play Ebonbolt or Glacial, cant believe no one told you. Personally I run Comet Storm and use it both single target and aoe. Usually comes in 3rd or 4th on my log behind Glacial, Ice lance, Orb.
Lastly you should definately spec Glacial Spike, and only cast it when you have brainfreeze (Flurry) so that you can shatter the Glacial spike.

It takes some getting used to the rotation, but it feels better than just pressing Frostbolt.