FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Bouboupiste

What is the behavior one should have in dungeon?

Hello there,

I'm a quite new player (well 1 week)

As I like the play style I've chosen a protection warrior.

Problem is that at my level (and it becomes worse each time I level up) people don't know "common sense" things like "let the tank pull the mobs in dungeon. I'm often letting the guy playing like a berserker die, but I feel this is a poor idea. What do you think I should do?

Any advice would be welcomed, if you have some that are off-topic I'll take them with pleasure.

Please accept my apologies for my poor english

A lot of people have been playing for a very long time and they're very bored or impatient. For you, as a new player, everything is an exciting experience, and you're learning and having fun. For them, it's the 100th time doing a certain dungeon, and they wish it'd just be over with sooner. I'm not saying that their behaviour is right, but that explains why some people behave how they do. Others are just mean :p

As to what you can do about it, that depends on the level of involvement you want. Personally, whenever this happens I generally just try to ignore these people, make the best I can of the dungeon run and finish it as quickly as possible. If I do end up having to talk to them (like, if the healer has lost their way in the dungeon or something), I make sure I do it politely. Remember that insults and any other such abuses are punishable offenses in the game (you could get banned!), so even if your party-mates are being rude, don't stoop down to their level.

Of course, if you want to be more involved, you could explain to them at the start of the dungeon run that you're new to tanking/playing a Protection Warrior or that you haven't done the dungeon before, so you'd appreciate their patience and understanding. You'll be amazed how many people will respond positively to something like this. Suddenly, in their eyes, you are no longer "this stupid tank who is just so slow!", and instead you're "a polite new player who just wants to learn". It's not going to work all the time, of course, but it's worth a try. This requires you to be a bit chatty, though, so you may not prefer it.

As a last resort, you could make some macros so you don't have to type out your lines all the time. You could have a "start of the dungeon macro" that you could post. Something like "Hello everyone. I'd just like you to know that this is my first time doing this dungeon, so I'd appreciate it if you were patient if I am a bit slow or if I don't always know the way.", which you could just click at the start of every dungeon.

In any case, the real fun of this game only starts at maximum level, so up until you get there, just find what ever way you have to cope with the insensitive players you meet. You'll still meet insensitive players at max level, of course, but they're not so bad at that point.

Also, your English is fine.

• Like 1

Pretty much what Vlad said. Politeness goes a long way, and if that doesn't work on someone they usually end up on my ignore list :P

Sadly this issue is present even at 90. A certain LFR Lei Shen comes to mind where the group was more than eager to kick a tank who didnt do everything perfectly the first pull. It was his first time there, and as soon as I gave him some little guidance how the boss works, he did it flawlessly. Sure shut up all those "OMGKICKHIMCAPSLOCK" people :D

Well, I think I'll have to check how to do the macro, might help

Another issue is (as a warrior) to gain the aggro on multiple targets when the 3 dps do not want to deal on the same target, any idea in how to proceed? (I'm like level 45 as of now so I don't have an aoe taunt and even being polite I can't get people to focus on 1 mob at a time)

And thing is even when I'm a bit slow if I can do my work in proper conditions I fear no wipe, a thing that happens when people play without being careful. (I'm still ashamed I've failed last time someone got all the 30 or so trash mobs attacking at the same time)

Anyways, I hope i'll get better with more experience, and thanks for the help

For the macro: Open the macro window by typing /macro and pressing enter, or from the Esc menu.

Click Create New and put in /i followed by what you want to say to the instance group and drag it somewhere onto your bars where you can click it. You can name and choose an icon for it aswell should you want to.

For the threat issue: Always make sure you're in defensive stance. If the pack youre pulling is stacked tight, do a charge followed by Thunder Clap and then keep Shield Slamming and Revenging while switching your target to evenly spread the aggro. If they're more loosely stacked charge in, do one Revenge/Shield Slam so the ones a little further have time to come in range and then Thunder Clap and continue as you would. If they're casters I usually do a Disrupting Shout between the Revenge and Thunder Clap so they all get interrupted and get in range. That should be enough initial aggro to be easy to maintain.

Another approach would be to keybind the Skull raidmarker and put that on your primary target in the pack before you charge in and hope people are smart enough to try and prioritise that target. You should of course still use your AoE/Cleaving abilities to get threat on all enemies.

Edited by Ceraius
  • Like 2

Anytime smile.png

If you run out of keybind space a modifier macro is pretty handy. I have most of my abilities set up like this. For example defensive cooldowns I usually "stack" like this. Example of a modifier using Shield Wall and Last Stand as the abilities.

#showtooltip

/cast [modifier: ctrl] Last Stand; Shield Wall

This will use Shield Wall if you just click it, and Last Stand if you use it while pressing ctrl. (To use my friend's phrasing "under ctrl") It will also show the correct tooltips for both abilities based on if youre holding down ctrl or not.

Edited by Ceraius

I'll try binding stuff as soon as I'll be Home, I'm already out of binding space even tho I'm not used to this.

Might feel less like a mono button game play (tanking low level dungeons is quite easy and boring)

Most people in dungeons are at worst completely passive in dungeons. You get some bad apples that tend to colour your experience, which is sad. Generally, people appreciate a player just alerting everyone to say that they're learning and need some patience. =]

By the way, you can keybind action bars that aren't the main action bar. Buttons like R, F, Tab, and Space, are all really good ones to have because they are really easy to reach. I bind reply to Backspace so that I can use R for important things like (for e.g.) Victory Rush. Space is awesome for interrupts (I rebind jump to Z, which is hard to reach).

Firstly welcome to WoW and more importantly I'm glad you found Icy Veins so quickly and posted asking questions!

Not much more I can add to what has been said above.  It's sad to see that even a courteous greeting of "Hello" is ignored or commented upon negatively.

I'm assuming you have played other game with the way in which you mentioned aggro etc.  One other bit of advice is perhaps try and find yourself a casual levelling / social guild where a few friendly people may be willing to buddy up and run a few dungeons with you.

I've found that if there are 2-3 of you then you can enjoy the dungeon runs a LOT more and you can cope better with any "bad apples" that try and ruin the experience for you.

Wish you good luck and don't stop with the questions we're happy to help!

ive been leveling a monk as brew, and have run into a few people who like to pull as well. i usually try to manage whatever trouble they get into for fun. but when a large number of casters are spread out, like in Crusader's Square in Stratholme, its not really possible for me to handle that whole room or maybe im just bad at the monk. either way if they do it a lot i usually just watch them die and try to kick them if they wont give up on being the supertank.

if a group will listen and stay at a worldmarker you put down ( "/wm 1" if you want to macro it, and 1 can be anything 1-5) you can aggro a bit and line of sight them all into a nice little pack. ( also a macro i find handy when tanking is "/cwm all" to clear all world markers)

as tank or raid lead i have my number pad keybound to target markers. that same keybind list stoove mentioned has options for binding markers to targets or players and the number pad is what i like to use for that. in wow the common kill order for marks is:

1st - Skull;

2nd - X;

3rd - Square.

if you are working with a consistent group of good people it may even be beneficial to go over the classic crowd control marks:

Triangle = hex;

Square = ice trap;

Diamond = sap;

Moon = polymorph.

Well, I'll macro the target markers asap

And I'm usually trying to know as much as I can about the game I play so... I must admit I found icy - veins while searching for help on talents, since the only advice site in French is millennium, which is renowned as the worst "help" website ever (and they are supposed to have a pro-gaming team)

More on topic, any tips on how to make good money quickly?

Any general "noob tips"

(had to reroll as a DK on another server, and I'm broke)

I didn't find any "noob tips" guide, so I'm using this thread for this

(ie I learnt today to open all bags with b )

wow players tend to be very persistant, so there really isnt any secret to making money, until you have a ton of money. it's just that there are people with endless amounts of time that they love to spend in wow. i saw this in my /g once: "I made over 100k gold today, just from selling mats i gathered on 11 toons." he has 2 accounts and multiple gatherers on both accounts covering all professions as well as a 90 of all classes. he also plays wow on his downtime at his job.

My friend and I am currently leveling with tank and healer with heirlooms and Zen (Enlightenment). At early levels most players are forgiving, since they think everyone else are first timers. Leveling is very fast and new dungeons become available quickly so no one is getting bored. As Vlad already mentioned, saying that you are new will clear things with your party members.

At later levels (60+), leveling from doing dungeons becomes so slow, you must do the same dungeon 5 times before getting one level, then you are still not out of the dungeon's level range. This is where players gets frustrated/bored and starts to pull mobs before the tank does. I suggest only to do a dungeon once for the dungeon's quests, and then go level from quests in your level zone, by then you should have flying mounts, this will allow you to do quests SUPER fast. Each quests normally give you about 10-25% of the exp required to level up (could be true)

Now the following might be extreme for some:

In dungeons, my friend and I would forgive people that accidentally pulls a optional camp when we run past through a narrow opening, but when people starts using pulling spells like death grip/provoke, we let them tank without a healer (you pull, your problem). If you can kill something before it gets to you, that works great because you don't need a healer/tank then.

If a DPS has a Tank buff (buffs that gives more thread) we tell them to remove it.

What roles should be IMO:

The tank and healer should be the ones that should decide the pace of the dungeon.

The dungeon leader should be the one that suggests the optimal path to complete the dungeon + quests. Throwing a reminder to loot the quest item is also a good thing.

Oh, and one more rhetorical thing I like to say as Tank/Healer to DPS that pulls:

I know that you like hitting other people, but what happens if they hit you back?

2 successive wipes. I hate hunters now. Thanks for your feedback, it feels much better now that I know what I should do. Thing is I stay away from dungeons, I'm pretty much raging easily so I try not to be a pain for other players. Sadly for me I hate quests (too repetitive, except a few ones (Lunk made me laugh like mad)

I'm going to RP with my dwarf : endless mining.

Anyways, would you find it normal to leave an instance in case of people being disrespectful and such or am I expected to play regardless?

Sorry for spamming questions again.

Anyways, would you find it normal to leave an instance in case of people being disrespectful and such or am I expected to play regardless?

No one is forcing you to stay, this is a game and it is for fun. They can always re-queue to replace you. 

Only thing you get for leaving a dungeon is achievement_bg_ab_kill_in_mine.jpgDungeon Deserter

If you want to be good guy:

Bad language = report (using ingame funtion by right clicking on their name -> report -> Language

Pulling before tank or other things like not doing role = 1 warning (just as a notice)

Guy that looks confused - Ask if he is new.

One more thing about wipes, sometime it is faster by going slower. Confused?

Pulling less mobs and surviving it is faster than pulling too much mobs, wiping, and running all the way back to dungeon

No one is forcing you to stay, this is a game and it is for fun. They can always re-queue to replace you. 

Only thing you get for leaving a dungeon is achievement_bg_ab_kill_in_mine.jpgDungeon Deserter

If you want to be good guy:

Bad language = report (using ingame funtion by right clicking on their name -> report -> Language

Pulling before tank or other things like not doing role = 1 warning (just as a notice)

Guy that looks confused - Ask if he is new.

One more thing about wipes, sometime it is faster by going slower. Confused?

Pulling less mobs and surviving it is faster than pulling too much mobs, wiping, and running all the way back to dungeon

Yep, I never had a too much mob problems, uness when the healer decided that facebook was more important than playing (he admitted it)

older stuff is usually more tedious and made with the intent that you would join a guild, make friends and then level as a group. once you get to 70 and can do wrath dungeons, theyre pretty easy and have a large margin of error. once you get to 80 the game will try to put you into cata dungeons. in answer to wrath's lack of difficulty blizz made these dungeons require basic skills such as dispelling, cc, and participation in simple mechanics. tanking these are a nightmare and the q times are usually quite long.

i have the same attitude toward quests as you. i get frustrated instantly because ive done so many quests in so many games, and the wow quests are particularly easy and very not fun. i recommend doing isle of conquest a little and alterec valley a lot. the valley offers a chance to fight for your life against other players. if you run around in the right areas you can often find smaller groups, or try your luck with a huge skirmish. tower caps and boss kills get you a medium amount of xp. it's slower than dungeons or quests but much faster than giving up completely. isle of conquest is worth even less xp, but its nice to change things up once in a while and it gives more xp than any of the other battlegrounds.

there was a time when battlegrounds gave a bit more xp than questing and the game was fun, but the diehard grind enthusiasts at blizz flipped out and nerfed pvp xp to the ground. apparently leveling a character is supposed to in no way have any opportunity for fun. i guess leveling is meant to be a punishment to turn away players who might otherwise enjoy the endgame content of wow. 

older stuff is usually more tedious and made with the intent that you would join a guild, make friends and then level as a group. once you get to 70 and can do wrath dungeons, theyre pretty easy and have a large margin of error. once you get to 80 the game will try to put you into cata dungeons. in answer to wrath's lack of difficulty blizz made these dungeons require basic skills such as dispelling, cc, and participation in simple mechanics. tanking these are a nightmare and the q times are usually quite long.

i have the same attitude toward quests as you. i get frustrated instantly because ive done so many quests in so many games, and the wow quests are particularly easy and very not fun. i recommend doing isle of conquest a little and alterec valley a lot. the valley offers a chance to fight for your life against other players. if you run around in the right areas you can often find smaller groups, or try your luck with a huge skirmish. tower caps and boss kills get you a medium amount of xp. it's slower than dungeons or quests but much faster than giving up completely. isle of conquest is worth even less xp, but its nice to change things up once in a while and it gives more xp than any of the other battlegrounds.

there was a time when battlegrounds gave a bit more xp than questing and the game was fun, but the diehard grind enthusiasts at blizz flipped out and nerfed pvp xp to the ground. apparently leveling a character is supposed to in no way have any opportunity for fun. i guess leveling is meant to be a punishment to turn away players who might otherwise enjoy the endgame content of wow. 

If you enjoy it, why would the speed matter?