FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
FDR1932

Resto Playstyle Content

Hey guys, sorry if this question comes across as self evident, but I feel like I learn new things when multiple people weigh in! I really want to main Resto, but a majority of my time is spent playing open world content ie WQ's and such. I like making sure all my emissarys are done in a timely manner. I've read the Resto class and leveling guide on this site extensively. I see that using the feral talent and "catweaving" as it's called can be a viable form of DPS, even though I guess it has been curtailed since Legion ended. My question basically is can I do this as a viable form of DPS for trying to blow through WQ's? Or do I have to dual spec (which I really don't want to do). How do you Resto druids out there handle doing your open world content? Any suggestions are appreciated!

you're not gonna "blow" through solo content. the difference between feral/balance affinity and "normal" resto dps isn't very big.

personally I just switch to feral or balance when I do WQs. even with nothing but heal gear, you're still gonna be a lot faster that way. at the end of the day, feral and balance affinity are just handicapped versions of their respective specs, so you might as well go for the real deal.

but yes, it is perfectly doable and slighty faster than doing it without any DPS affinity.

if you want to do some DPS without having to switch to cat/moonkin, I recommend using [harm]/[help] macros to essentially give all your healing spell buttons a double function.

if you want to do some DPS without having to switch to cat/moonkin, I recommend using [harm]/[help] macros to essentially give all your healing spell buttons a double function.

What exactly are these macros you speak of and how do they work?

2 hours ago, FDR1932 said:

What exactly are these macros you speak of and how do they work?

Things like this:

#showtooltip
/cast [@mouseover,harm] Moonfire; [@mouseover,help] Healing Touch

Casts Moonfire at your mouseover if you are hovering over an enemy - Healing Touch if you are hovering over a friendly.

• Thanks 1

On 10/1/2018 at 6:32 PM, FDR1932 said:

Hey guys, sorry if this question comes across as self evident, but I feel like I learn new things when multiple people weigh in! I really want to main Resto, but a majority of my time is spent playing open world content ie WQ's and such. I like making sure all my emissarys are done in a timely manner. I've read the Resto class and leveling guide on this site extensively. I see that using the feral talent and "catweaving" as it's called can be a viable form of DPS, even though I guess it has been curtailed since Legion ended. My question basically is can I do this as a viable form of DPS for trying to blow through WQ's? Or do I have to dual spec (which I really don't want to do). How do you Resto druids out there handle doing your open world content? Any suggestions are appreciated!

Hey, just wanted to let you know ive mained resto for several years now, absoluteky love it.  I even level as resto,  5 man party suggested quest?  Just solo it with infinite self heals.  Round up 20 mobs?  No problem, sunfire and heal and throw in some swipes.  I even dpsd a normal uldir today as resto spec.  Did 12k dps on fetid.  8.5k on taloc.  Any drawbacks in open world, resto druid more than makes up for with the fact that its almost impossible to die.  Good luck!! 

5 hours ago, Herbalist said:

Any drawbacks in open world, resto druid more than makes up for with the fact that its almost impossible to die. 

Shit's still gonna die faster with Balance or Guardian though, and it's not like the world content provides any challenge to begin with. So, unless you want to waste time, I don't think it's a good idea. If you're really so obsessed about selfheal, just pick resto affinity, hot yourself up, and kill everything twice as fast.

I am a Resto main too, but I don't really get what's so great about casting the same abilities a Balance or Feral would but with half damage output. Just my opinion though.

I mean i just did 10.3k dps on gorak tul on a  +8 keystone and out dpsd a 363ilvl frost dk.  You can do loads of dmg as resto in the open world by just sunfire/moonfire tagging a ton of mobs of mobs and rounding it up then shifting to cat and spamming swipe or even multi bleeding and then swiping.    Ive tried all of this as moonkin/feral/guardian many times.  died many times.

No chance guardian does anywhere near resto's dps.  Just look at warcraft logs, look at top dmg on any fight on normal or heroic.  compare the highest resto druid's dps to the highest guardian druids dps.  Resto higher on every fight.  this translates to open world as well.

6 hours ago, Herbalist said:

You can do loads of dmg as resto in the open world by just sunfire/moonfire tagging a ton of mobs of mobs and rounding it up then shifting to cat and spamming swipe or even multi bleeding and then swiping.    Ive tried all of this as moonkin/feral/guardian many times.  died many times.

Yes, but you're still gonna be faster as a Moonkin ^^' Don't know how you manage to die as a druid, honestly, regardless of spec... again, if you feel like you need the selfheal to survive, just go resto affinity.

7 hours ago, Herbalist said:

No chance guardian does anywhere near resto's dps.  Just look at warcraft logs, look at top dmg on any fight on normal or heroic.

How does that have anything to do with masspulling mobs in the open world?