FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
mcfc1120

Frost Mage Help

I would like some advice on how to get my DPS up please.  Reason I am asking is during our Garrosh fight (normal), I was averaging around 120K DPS.  Based on my gear this doesn't seem right.  I also don't feel that I am very consistent in my DPS, although I use the same rotation 99% of the time (exceptions do occur for certain fight mechanics.

I use the rotation from Icy Veins, gemming and reforging from Ask Mr Robot.

I have only been playing for 6 or so months so I am still not good with WoW terminology, so feel free to talk to me like I am a n00b if that helps wink.png

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/rt-pqw2u8ns3i4ld4vh/fights/

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/dalaran/Faelinara/advanced

Thanks in advance!

Fae

Since you died at some point, I'm going to write a few things about what happened only after you were ressed.

This order is just as I read the data, all points are equally important.

1. Your frost armor doesn't show up in the log. Is this a log bug or you just forgot it? If you did, then never forget it! Make an aura for it even (there's no shame in it, I did so myself), yes it's that important.

2. Your bomb uptime of 80% is not bad, but you can do better. Regardless of that, you should use LB for Garrosh as NT is useful only during phase 1, which is incidentally the easiest. Later on it does less dps on Garrosh and cleaves on the small sha adds which is very bad.

3. You need to better snapshot procs on your bomb, most of its application included no meta proc. For instance there's a period of whole 3 minutes in which you didn't snapshot meta on it! I'd say use affDots if you really struggle with it, but generally I'm against it as improving snapshots is doable without addons.

4. You had 43 brain freeze but only 34 frozen thoughts, which means that you missed 9 BF procs. This is a lot for your low haste-high mastery build. Also this is especially a lot if you forgot your frost armor.

5. Use frozen orb on cd! You clearly forgot about it. Make a WA for it.

6. Alter time + Icy Veins yo! Don't forget it, make a WA for it. Also, align to PBoI proc whenever you can.

7. I was able to count only 16 IL, while you had 18 FoF. I analyze lances by going to Analyze->Damage Done->Filter by spell and leave only ice lance also remove filter. FoF-IL is very spiky so it's easy to count. It might be off by a little, but still looks like you missed a few.

8. Consume your single IL with frozen thoughts. No FT? Keep your FoF proc until you get one (or use it just before it runs out). If you have two FoF procs then use just one regardless.

9. Don't dot MC'ed players.

Might have missed a few things.

EDIT: Few more.

10. Use invocation instead of IW.

11. You healed your WE four times tongue.png

12. Prefer Temporal Shield as it's better suited for most fights and is also a dps increase (doesn't cost a gcd).

13. Went once more over your lances and something is very weird about them. Do you cast more IL than you have FoF? At one point I saw two regular ILs followed by two FoF-IL.

14. You used only one freeze from your WE. This is a good FoF generator when adds are about. Use it whenever you can. Also it's a good combo maker, as your shatter kicks in on ice rooted targets as well. Since freeze is not just off your gcd, but also off your casts (!), you can combo it with anything you want as long as the target is rootable.

15. Mirror image on cd (unless you're keeping them as defensive cd).

Edited by lynx

Thanks for the reply!  Yes my frost armor was up, I always make sure of it.  You used a ton of terms I didn't understand, such as: 

7. I was able to count only 16 IL, while you had 18 FoF. I analyze lances by going to Analyze->Damage Done->Filter by spell and leave only ice lance also remove filter. FoF-IL is very spiky so it's easy to count. It might be off by a little, but still looks like you missed a few.

I have no idea what IL, FoF, or any of the other acronyms used mean, sorry.  Can you elaborate on all the ones you used please?

Yea, didn't notice I healed him.  Have to keep an eye on that.

IL = spell_frost_frostblast.jpgIce Lance

BF = ability_mage_brainfreeze.jpgBrain Freeze

FoF = ability_mage_wintersgrasp.jpgFingers of Frost

LB = ability_mage_livingbomb.jpgLiving Bomb

NT = spell_mage_nethertempest.jpgNether Tempest

WA = Weakauras addon

MC = Mind Controlled, bosses take control of player characters and needs to be dpsed to a certain threshold, DoT'ing them will cause the DoT to remain when they regain control causing more work for your healers

IW = spell_shadow_detectlesserinvisibility.jpIncanter's Ward talent

WE = spell_frost_summonwaterelemental_2.jpgSummon Water Elemental, healing your WE means that you are casting frostbolt without a target

EDIT: We should create a acronym guide in each classes forums

Edited by Archimage
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply!  Yes my frost armor was up, I always make sure of it.  You used a ton of terms I didn't understand, such as: 

I have no idea what IL, FoF, or any of the other acronyms used mean, sorry.  Can you elaborate on all the ones you used please?

Yea, didn't notice I healed him.  Have to keep an eye on that.

You could make a huge icon in the middle of your screen that vibrates like hell if you have no target, or the target is friendly and you are in combat.

The point of 7. paragraph is, you wasted some Fingers of Frost procs, by not using Ice Lance in time.

Before I say anything else, I think I made a small mistake biggrin.png

I looked at the mage on the kill fight rather the one you linked to, and noticed it only now (the shame!!).

Thanks to Archimage for clearing the acronyms!

Back to it... I looked at the longest wipe.

Now, amazingly most points are valid to you too except:

Invocation uptime is almost non existent. Should be 99-100%.

Your bomb uptime is 56%. Again, this is really low. Though the choice of LB on Garrosh is the correct one.

Furthermore, 19 unused brain freeze with LB is not good at all. Make sure you use them as they come. With LB you shouldn't loose more than one or two brain freezes (three if you take it to the extreme tongue.png ).

BTW, why did you cast FFBs? It shows 7 hits, while your buffed crit is 23.3% on Garrosh (which makes it capped on adds). Besides that you had only 25 frozen thoughts which doesn't add up to the amount of FFBs. Basically you hard-casted FFB 9 times, which is a big dps loss.

You healed your WE 14 times! With your haste that's like 20 seconds spent on healing ohmy.png... a pet!

You have many regular IL casts (10/23). Ideally you shouldn't cast regular IL at all. Sometimes I do when I spam it with frozen orb when there are a lot of adds just to not lose FoF procs, but outside of that exactly 0 regular ice lance.

This doesn't mean that you should use it only with FoF either! You can deep freeze adds and spam IL on them, works really well.

Now I see that you didn't use splitting ice and neither used icy veins, so ice lance count in WoL is exact. Your IL critted 23 times out of 30 FoF procs, lets say one more FoF-IL didn't crit on garrosh, this leaves about 6 lost FoF procs. This is a lot of damage!

You didn't use freeze from your WE. Use it when adds are about (preferably combo with something).

Remove evo glyph. Your healers should heal you. Other than for fights with some convoluted mechanics (maybe 10 man dark animus in tot) you don't need it.

Remove WE glyph. It does the same dps without it, and if it dies or gets lost (really really low chance of that happening) then just resummon it.

Use splitting ice glyph on fights that have more than one target.

Use CoC glyph on fights that have more than two targets.

Otherwise add movement glyphs, like double blink or long blink (make sure you get used to the long blink so it won't kill you!).

Ice floes is ok if you're using it, but since you don't then don't take it. Either way, for frost blazing speed is the better option.

All other points from my first post remain the same.

EDITed for some small errors (again, confusion between both mages tongue.png )

Edited by lynx