FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Knutsanity

Demon Hunter build. Grenade and Impale.

Bear with me here, because I'm a newb. I've graduated to torment 5 now with my 4 Characters. Got real lucky at my buddies yesterday in our 6 hours of gameplay. Got my Barb, Monk and Wizard safe enough on hardcore for T5. Gotta stay on my toes and kill as quickly as possible, but T6 greater rifts are an option. My worst character was my demon hunter. Best stats but had no awesome extra damage. Traded my lvl 70 Ancient Helltrapper, level requirement only 32, so when he starts his DH he can make great use of it. For his lvl 70 Shadow's mask. He got it even though he wasn't a demon hunter. I had 1 of the Shadow set already, and figured the 1200% damage and new melee build would be great to try. Obviously, though it didn't show on my stats which is weird, it seemed set bonuses did until then, it worked just fine and was a great call. 
Next thing you know I got a Hellcat waistguard, and a Hunters wrath. I extracted the wrath, the Hellcat had better stats. Put on the Grenades skill, throw 2 extra grenades rune, changed my Vengeance rune to personal Mortar, and the Grenadier passive. I didn't have to do anything but grenade like a maniac. Then I got every other Shadow's set piece except the boots. That Shadows Power with every rune is incredible defensively. I already had plenty of resistance, and life per hit, and can now go ahead and let some life per whatever go when or if I get a great gear piece that doesn't have it. 
I await the Impale 50,000% when I get the boots, which have to replace my ancient boots of another set, but obviously well worth it. Or I could just use the Ring of Royal Grandeur, whatever I get first. So I checked out the Impale build on here. Didn't even see a primary skill, find it odd. Myself I plan on using grenades with the Impale build. The only compromise would be the Depth Digger pants for extra primary damage. But there is so many ways around this. The ring of RG can let you use those pants instead of the Shadow set pants. Not that you even need it that much, there is the Simplicity's Strength Leg Gem I will add to what I wrote above for my Grenades. I don't see how it won't be better. I'm long winded I know, I'll give you my plan for once I have all the options available to me. 

I'd use the crit rune of Impale for 330% extra damage when crit. The stun Rune Fan of Knives. and grenades instead of companion in your Impale build. A high crit % build. You can stay above 90% primary resource easy, and get huge damage at all times. I can't see it not being viable at higher Torments, curious how you higher up T 13 players find this? Is grenade just not enough no matter what at that point?
Though I do want to mention using the guaranteed crit for 3 seconds after 5 non crits in a row, combined with changing crit % on items to something more useful since u get guaranteed every 5th hit, for 3 whole seconds has been my go to with every character. That 3 seconds is huge.  Crit Dmg gems and rolls combined with that is wild. And I dont see it in any of your builds I've looked at. 

Been dominating without worry on lvl 30 GR's T7. No damage can touch me, killing easily and quickly, and I don't even have the Impale + 50,000% yet. Or all the help for primaries. Just too easy to run around, sit and grenade in a swarm of any enemies. T13, you tell me. 

Ambush IconAmbusAwareness IconAwareness  Grenadier IconGrenadier Blood Vengeance IconBlood Vengeance I think will be my passives, although reducing the Hatred costs 10% and adding 10% armour and resistance with Perfectionist is an idea for me on Hardcore. It would have to replace Blood Vengeance I suppose, but I'd think It's best not too as it's not as good for Hatred I'd guess. 
Instead I think I'll use the  Esoteric Alteration Esoteric Alteration . To replace Bane of the stricken. 
I think I would call the weapon slot for the Kanai's Cube powers users choice too. With the huge damage of Impale being limited to 1, and fan of knives being more of a stunner for control impairing effect and safety. I'm assuming those are projectiles and Grenades are not. You could use so many of the plethora of great weapon slot powers, that would have just as much affect as that I'm guessing, or I suppose the best bet is the  Dawn Dawn... Cuz vengeance is massive for any build. The one that throws grenades is what I'll use. 

The only reason I think combining Impale with Grenade build, would maybe not work great on the highest levels that I can think of, is that grenades, a primary skill, I would think isn't a good enough damage out put by T13. But then I see your grenade build is ranked almost as high or just as high as Impale. So that has me thinking maybe it's a good plan. All i see for compromise in the combination, is not much at all for the Impale part of the build, and about 100% maybe 150% Dmg of compromise for the Grenade build. 

High crit %, Crit Dmg %, Dex, Vit, Impale Dmg%, Grenade Dmg %, Area Dmg Build.  You get some resist all to add to you leg Ring, great. 

Grenade with throw 2 extra grenades rune,  Impale with the 330% crit dmg rune,3Vault IconVaultRattling Roll Rattling Roll, 4Shadow Power IconShadow PowerGloom Gloom, Fan of knives with the Stun rune, 4Vengeance IconVengeanceDark Heart Dark Heart sounds great, but I'll use the personal mortar rune, to get the Grenades instead of homing rockets, since I assume those grenades get my other grenade bonuses too. Do they get the bonuses as well? 

Anyway I'm assuming I'll have more options for a different build by T13, but plan on trying for this until it no longer works. But at T7 GR's with only 140 Paragon and not even half the proper build I'm describing I'm capable of doing a 2 person co op GR with out any help from my buddy. Would love to know your more experienced guesses for how long this build would work for. And where it lacks. That shadow power with all runes is amazing for all defence that isn't resistance, and my resistance is fine, so I'll find out but I think it would get me to and through T13. I think the Dmg will work just fine too. 

I'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks ? 

All res in the 2 Pants sockets, Crit Dmg % in the weapon, Health % in the helmet, 2 Dex 1 Vit in the Chest, Vit in the offhand. For Gems. Obviously Vitality is needed to make the Health % in the helmet extremely effective, and Hardcore is hardcore. So Resist All Is massive too. Shadow power takes the defence to a high level from there.  Vault gets you out of any trouble too. I'll get too 40% or more crit chance, 300% or more Crit Dmg %,  and hope for Impale%, Grenade %, dmg, Dex, Vit, Res All, Health %, Armour, Would round out my Ideal roles. Nothing will stand in my way. 

• Haha 1

There won't be a 50% dmg reduction bonus for being above 90% resource in this either. So those Defensive helpers carry more weight now. But vault is everything if you do find trouble. And you don't need to keep resources up, so Impale away. My thoughts are, grenade when you need to for hatred but minimum every 5 seconds, Fan of knives every time you can, Vengeance every time you can, Impale as Much as you can, and vault when you need to. 
Will already have Max Movement % and regen of life and resource, defence in all ways from Vengeance and all the Shadow power, and by paragon 300 decent enough attack speed, and crit help from paragon, cool down reduction too. 

So Vengeance when you can, almost constant, Shadow power the whole time of course, and vault when you need to. Otherwise lets say;
Fan of knives, Grenade, Impale, Impale, Impale, Grenade til full resource.... Repeat. I guess it will need tinkering, since it will be about fitting perfectly between the Fan of knives Cooldown. 

I think that concludes my whole build plan and how I think to use it. While I stumbled into it really, and am confident in it, I do want to know what people think of how far it'll get me. Keep in mind my good luck, I wouldn't doubt if I have half or more ancients when I complete the build. Only have about half the pieces, 5 of the set and the belt, and half of those are good ancients. It's a grenade build now, at T7, until It becomes the Impale build. Need the Dagger, the off hand, and the set boots to bother with Impale, then It's mostly Impale. Have most of the leg gems and Cube powers already too. 

I could be way off base but by Paragon 500 I bet I'll have all the items at good roles, appropriate paragon distrobution to add to and balance them, and be able to do t13 with this. 

Edited by Knutsanity

Just to clean it up. I know I'm practically spamming, and telling my life story, just for a build I haven't used yet and have no experience with. But your board could use some harmless talk even if it doesn't work well anyway. Bear with me. Enjoyable game, want to look it up, theorise, brain storm, talk about it when I'm not at my buddies playing it and not busy. Don't have it at my place. Just excited, Finally close to my first set and interesting build that presented its'self. My first really good Character out of 4. Feel Lucky to be able to say that already after only 140 Paragon split between 4 characters. 

Skills;
Grenade with throw 2 extra grenades rune,  Impale with the 330% crit dmg rune,
3Vault IconVaultRattling Roll Rattling Roll, 4Shadow Power IconShadow PowerGloom Gloom, Fan of knives with the Stun rune, 4Vengeance IconVengeanceDark Heart Dark Heart sounds great, but I'll use the personal mortar rune, to get the Grenades instead of homing rockets, since I assume those grenades get my other grenade bonuses too. Do they get the bonuses as well? 

Passives;

Ambush IconAmbusAwareness IconAwareness  Grenadier IconGrenadier Blood Vengeance IconBlood Vengeance

Items;

• Helm: The Shadow's Mask The Shadow's Mask (Life%) Socket, Dex, Vit, Crit chance %, Armour, Impale %
  • Shoulders: The Shadow's Burden The Shadow's Burden Res All, Dex, Vit, Armour, Crit Chance %, Life %
  • Gloves: The Shadow's Grasp The Shadow's Grasp Crit Chance %, Dex, Vit, Crit Dmg%, Resist All, Impale%
  • Chest: The Shadow's Bane The Shadow's Bane (2 Dex, 1 Vit) Sockets, Dex, Vit, Armour, Crit Chance %
  • Belt: Hellcat Waistguard Hellcat Waistguard Dex, Vit, Life %, Armour, Grenade%
  • Pants: Depth Diggers Depth Diggers Res All, Dex, Vit, Grenade %, (2 Resist all) Sockets
  • Boots: The Shadow's Heels The Shadow's Heels Vit, Dex, Armour, Res All, Crit Dmg, Life %
  • Bracers: Wraps of Clarity Wraps of Clarity Crit Chance %, Dex, Vit, Crit Dmg %, Grenade %
  • Amulet: User's choice. Hellfire, a resist and heal of your choice of elemental damage, or in a perfect world Halcyon's Ascent. But whatever's ancient or best. Leg gem, Dex, Vit, Dmg, Crit Dmg %
  • Rings: Focus and Restraint, 50% damage after both hatred spenders and generators. couldn't find some of these on here to copy and paste properly sorry. Leg gem, Dex, Vit, Dmg, Resist All, Crit Dmg% for both. 
  • Weapon: Karlei's Point Karlei's Point Cold Dmg, Dex, Vit, Crit Chance %, Impale%, and with the socket gift (130% crit Dmg) Socket, gonna be tough to replace my ancient. But I may get an ancient of this with no socket and get to use my first Socket making gift ? In a perfect world. 
  • Offhand: Holy Point Shot Holy Point Shot Dex, Attack Speed%, Physical Dmg % (or fire or Changed to Dmg), Vit, Res All, Life %, (Vitality) Socket. 

That's the roles I want off the top of my head. Imagine it would take days of game time to come close. Also acceptable roles; Life per hit, Cool down reduction, Resource cost reduction, Area Damage, physical Dmg%, Fire Dmg%, Attack Speed %. 

Legendary gems;
  • Legendary Gem 1: Simplicity's Strength Simplicity's Strength
  • Legendary Gem 2: Bane of the Trapped Bane of the Trapped
  • Legendary Gem 3: Esoteric Alteration Esoteric Alteration

Kanai's Cube Powers;
  • Weapon Slot: Dawn Dawn
  • Armor Slot: Hunter's Wrath Hunter's Wrath
  • Jewelry Slot: Ring of Royal Grandeur Ring of Royal Grandeur

Skill cycle: 

Vengeance when you can, almost constant, Shadow power the whole time of course, and vault when you need to. Otherwise lets say;

• Fan of knives, Grenade, Impale, Impale, Impale, Grenade til full resource.... Repeat. I guess it will need tinkering, since it will be about fitting perfectly between the Fan of knives Cooldown. 

Your paragons are all maxed mostly maybe, but for me I'll start with Maxing all of Attack Speed%, Cooldown Reduction%, Crit Chance %, Crit Dmg %, Area Dmg, Resist All, Dex, Vit, Resource Cost reduction %, Life%, Armour%, max hatred. The rest is just gravy but with 4 in one category and 2 in another, 3 in the others, guess Ill have to get to 800 to max them anyway. Not like more life regen isn't huge though. I'll need some to add to Shadow Power, I'm sure by T10. 

Any glaring issues? And what level will this top out at in your opinion because of them?