FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Wrath of the Lich King's 10th Anniversary

WVb3Wpf.jpg

Feeling old yet? Wrath of the Lich King was released 10 years ago!

On 13th November 2008, Blizzard released World of Warcraft's third expansion Wrath of the Lich King. Many players still consider Wrath WoW's best expansion to date. Death Knights were first introduced to the game and the level cap was increased to 80.

Wrath Cinematic

The first major content patch of the expansion was Patch 3.1: Secrets of Ulduar released on April 14, 2009. Storm Peaks have been updated with Ulduar, a new raid where players had to confront Yogg-Saron. Notable loot includes Mimiron's Head Mimiron's Head. Blizzard also added the Argent Tournament to Icecrown in this patch.

Call of the Crusade went live on August 4, 2009 and the patch came with Isle of Conquest, the Crusaders' Coliseum dungeon, and Trial of the Crusader raid. Story of the Argent tournament continued and only the boldest of adventurers could prove they were worthy and ready to end Lich King's reign.

At the Wrathgate, both factions confronted the Lich King, but Varimathras' betrayal caused Grand Apothecary Putress to unleash plague on both armies, resulting in massive casualties for both factions. Bolvar Fordragon and Dranosh Saurfang were killed and recovered by the Lich King.

The final major content patch of the expansion went live on December 8, 2009. It was finally time to put the Lich King to rest and Blizzard added Icecrown Citadel along with three dungeons (Halls of Reflection, Pit of Saron, the Forge of Souls ) to the game. Notable loot includes Invincible's Reins Invincible's Reins

Do you miss Wrath of the Lich King? Let us know in the comments!

• Like 2

This exp is when i chose my main after they screwed up paladins with holy power, my DK has been my main since Wotlk. frost and blood, never regretted it. fun soloing dungeons and raids, and even elite world quests.

• Like 1

A bit of a mixed bag of an expansion in my book.

1) Ulduar is still the best raid they've ever released.    Trial of the Crusader is still the worst raid they've ever released.

2) Wrathgate, the fallen paladin, the dragon storys etc were very cool lore bits.    The Lich king jumping out of every closet, threatening you after you killed one of his underlings, but then twirling his mustache and saving you for later got real old, real fast.

3) Howling FJord was pretty as anything with great atmosphere.   Borean Tundra was an ugly vomit of badlands with color crayon palettes.

4) Balance was way, way, way off.    Find a top 1000 guild and you found a Bear tank in 99% of them for Icecrown.     Before that, you had Blood DKs overpowered as HELL for the earlier raids, then nerfed to obscurity.    Warriors were just terrible throughout the expansion.    And that's just the tanks.

WotLK is what really got me hooked into WoW. I had Vanilla and TBC lying around somewhere then, but played mostly other stuff - some Warcraft 3 online and Dark Age of Camelot. Then they brought this expansion and I had to powerlevel a char (read: hunter) to 55 just to be able to create a DK. A cow, specced Blood for the OP DPS ofc 🙂 good times

Granted Balance was way off at times, I really liked the expansion, content and all. Maybe because it somewhat continued the story of WC3.  Will always remember walking into ICC for the first time or Grizzly Hills, one of the most beautiful zones in WoW IMO, or the entire intro for the DKs. I mean come on - you log in and first thing you see is Arthas himself  🙂

BC might have given me some of my favorite memories with friends, but this xpac gave me my fondest moments of content. I think the graphical improvements and scenery changes from Outlands to the frozen tundra of Nothrend was a big success because they were vastly different. By now, its pretty hard to show us something we haven't really seen before - so it will be near impossible to duplicate. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Stan
      We're back with another mount preview and this one really stands out from the crowd as possibly the best mount added in Patch 8.2 yet. It's the one Blizzard has been teasing since last BlizzCon, a crab that walks sideways!
      Source of the mount remains unknown for now as the item associated with it has not been added to the game yet.

Animations (Run / Mount Special)
    • By Starym
      Update: Added another "not a bug" issue relating ti Polymorph below.
      It seems there's more confusing/unexpected stuff in the Classic beta players can't really believe is intended, as mob aggro seemed "off" to some, but this time around it's in the "this used to be harder" category.
      We also had another issue mentioned related to Polymorphing:
      Not a bug (source)
      I’ve added this to the OP:
      You are unable to Polymorph enemy targets that are tapped by players with whom you are not grouped.  
      Blizzard responded:
      Not a Bug (source)
      We saw many similar reports in the first few days of the WoW Classic Beta Test.
      As a result, we ran a multitude of comparisons with our 1.12 reference client. In doing so, we varied the player levels and enemy levels. In conclusion, we didn’t see any discrepancies with aggro radius.
      I’m adding this to our not-a-bug list / forum post.
      Thank you for the feedback!
    • By Starym
      Here comes the first stress test for the Classic beta, and Blizzard will be inviting a lot more people this time around. It's taking place this Wednesday, May 22nd and will last for 2 hours from 4-6pm PDT, but the realm itself will be available for a full day. All races and classes will be available, but the max level will be set to 5. Also, current beta testers will not be able to play their beta, but will have to join the new stress realm and make new characters if they want to play.
      Stress Test (source)
      We’ll be performing our first stress test for WoW Classic on Wednesday, May 22, from 4–6pm PDT. During this time, the closed beta test realm will be unavailable. Those who are currently in the beta test will only be able to login to the stress test realm during this time and beta testers can participate using their existing installation. We’ll also be adding a significant number of players to the stress test from the pool of people who have already opted in for the beta but have not yet been selected.
      Since the same client is used for both our stress test users and our normal beta users, the name in the Battle.net App has changed to “Beta & Stress Test: WoW Classic . ” If you’ve been selected to participate in the stress test, you’ll see this option appear in the Region/Account drop down menu so you can download and install the WoW Classic client in advance, but you’ll only be able to see the stress test realm when it becomes available.
      For the stress test, all races and classes will be available for creation, but the maximum level will be set to 5. The test will also take place on a PvP realm, but since the starting areas are sanctuaries you don’t need to worry about attacks from the other faction if you just want to level up to 5. We expect to put a lot of people in the starting zones, though, and we’re looking forward to seeing what you all do as we test the servers under crowded conditions.
      We’ll be actively monitoring the server, sending server messages, etc. during the 4-6pm PDT period and it’s important to have as many people as possible log in during this window! The stress test realm itself will be available until Thursday, May 23 (becoming unavailable around 6:00pm PDT).
      If you encounter any issues during the test, you can submit them through the bug reporting tool in-game. If there are any aspects you’d like to discuss, feel free to post in the Classic Discussion forum.
      Performing tests like these are very important in contributing to a smooth launch on August 27 and we appreciate your support.
    • By Stan
      Powers on Azerite Armor will unlock instantly and progression is moving to Essences in Patch 8.2. Here's a preview of the new intro questline which involves MOTHER, Magni, and Spiritwalker Ebonhorn. This article contains spoilers.
      The intro quest becomes available right after you establish your foothold in Nazjatar. Magni informs you that MOTHER has apparently found a way to heal Azeroth.

1. Essential Empowerment
      You learn that the Chamber of Heart has been repaired in your absence.

2. MOTHER Knows Best
      MOTHER finished her awesome calculations and Magni tells you to talk to her. A not yet implemented cutscene begins to play and MOTHER introduces Essences.
      3. A Disturbance Beneath the Earth
      MOTHER sends you to Highmountain to recover a dragon essence from Neltharion's Lair. By combining dragon essence with sufficient quantities of Azerite within Heart Forge will cause previously undiscovered abilities to manifest within the Heart of Azeroth.

You'll find Navvarogg and Spiritwalker Ebonhorn at Snowblind Messa.

Ebonhorn discovered some sort of disturbance and you must investigate its source.
      4. Take My Hand
      The essence discovered by MOTHER may be an echo of power of the dragonflights. You must act fast before the essence falls into the wrong hands. Talk to Navvarogg to get teleported to the area.
      5. Calming the Spine
      The power of the black dragonflight echoes around you, and the earth is reeling in response. You must seal the Azerite Fissures in the Dragon's Spine. You find out about the presence of a stone lord from Deepholm.

Once you close all fissures and complete the quest, it's time to confront the stone lord. He won't give up the essence without a fight.

6. Calming the Spine
      You then loot Petrified Ebony Scale. This will be your first essence and serves as an introduction to the new system in Rise of Azshara.

7. A Friendly Face
      You must now bring the dragon essence to Magni and MOTHER. Navvarogg has prepared an exit for you, but near the entrance, you'll notice a Blacktalon Watcher in stealth spying on you. We covered the presence of Wrathion's Agents in Rise of Azshara in this post.

Upon arriving at the Chamber of Heart, Ebonhorn is ready to meet Magni and MOTHER.

8. The Heart Forge
      The final quest is offered by MOTHER and you must use your Heart of Azeroth to activate the Heart Forge. You will receive rank 1 Petrified Ebony Scale and The Heart Forge achievement.

Don't forget to check out our Patch 8.2 hub for more details about Heart of Azeroth changes coming in Rise of Azshara.
      MOTHER finished her calculations and the Heart of Azeroth questline continues in Patch 8.2.
    • By Starym
      With the Classic beta now out it seems every related article somehow manages to spark the eternal war of "Vanilla was the best WoW sucks now" and "lol nostalgia goggles, Vanilla sucked, enjoy your two weeks of Classic". I have to say, even though I understand the principles behind the battle and the reasons people behave and talk this way... I actually REALLY don't get it on a deeper level.
      I've been playing the Classic beta a little (and I do mean a little, the new Diablo season has me in its grips hard) and I can't see what the big fuss is about. It's Vanilla. That's what it is, that's what it was, that's what was expected and that's what we're getting. Sure there are bugs, upgrades some people didn't want and upgrades other people did want but didn't get, but in the greater scheme of things that's such a small part of the whole, it's barely worth talking about. So why are some people so insanely intent on ruining others' fun?
      Ok, so read the sentence above and tell me which WoW you think I was talking about?
      Because the thing is, that sentence applies to both sides and it drives me crazy. Most comments about either Classic or Battle for Azeroth end up in mud-slinging matches for no real reason other then one side is being negative about the other side's favorite version of WoW. And the funny thing is, there are way, WAY more commonalities than differences in there, after you remove the ego of "my WoW is/was better yours sucks". In the end, no matter what anyone says, they are talking and arguing and fighting about it because they care about WoW.
      To get back to Classic for a bit, this is what I think is happening. Players who prefer the old ways (and full disclosure, I'd count myself among them, but to a smaller degree than most) complain/talk about the negative sides of modern WoW and Battle for Azeroth in general. While they do this they also talk about how things were better before and often mention Vanilla as a reference point. People who enjoy BfA now feel attacked by this and so they retaliate. Hence, liking Classic means you either have nostalgia goggles on or have no idea what you're talking about and will hate the same things you say you want 2 weeks after you start playing it. It's an amazing thing, where literally each side is doing to the other what they feel is being (wrongly) done to them. I feel like writing this is the most redundant thing I've ever done, and yet I also feel that it needs to be said, because it seems some people just don't get what they're doing, or at least I hope they don't (some do and are doing it on purpose but there's trolls everywhere so there's no point in even discussing them).
      But let's actually talk a bit about Classic, shall we?

Nostalgia?

I was actually a warrior in Vanilla, but the lure of 2h Windfury is too strong
      Well, yes.
      Logging in for the first time, being welcomed by THAT login screen and THAT music... You can't not be taken back if you've played Vanilla, and especially if you've played 2 years of it non-stop all day every day. I probably stayed 10 minutes in character creation just because of the music alone (and trying to get my character looking exactly as it did back then - although I wasn't a shaman then). The whole intro experience was especially amazing for me since the Tauren starting zone was my first encounter with WoW in the EU beta, and a little bit of that spark did return. But is that all Classic has to offer? A trip back in time when we were wowed by the game for the very first time?
      Well, no.

Difficulty or Tedium?
      The main topic for Classic at the moment would be whether the game is actually harder or just has more redundant activities you have to do before doing the stuff that's really fun. This is actually a good discussion to have, and not just for WoW, but gaming in general. The main sticking point for now, as most people are on (relatively) low levels is the breaks between killing mobs, especially for mana users. In the beginning it's actually refreshing having to think about what you can and can't pull, not just running into a bunch of mobs and killing them in *insert current optimal time to kill Blizzard determined is the most fun*. The food/drink breaks after a few (or even one) mobs provide time to actually look around the scenery and the mobs you're facing, and while there isn't much strategy involved at these levels, you still at least pretend to plan out how you're going to get to that quest mob without being killed by the 4 random ones surrounding them. Not being able to pull whatever mob you want, and actually having to check what mobs are there when you don't have interrupts yet (casters tend to be a nightmare) is definitely more difficult in a real way than what we have today. As a caster, having to actually think about which spells to use based on mana cost (and perhaps even using lower ranked ones) is definitely more difficult and requires more engagement with your character than we have in modern WoW.

Me after 1 plainstrider
      However, after a while the novelty of it wears off and you do start getting a little bored of all the eating and drinking (and wondering why your character isn't getting to Kul Tiran levels of fat), especially if you hop on to BfA for a bit in between. The difference is huge and once you're used to just slamming into 5 mobs and downing them quickly it can get a bit boring to just pull 1 mob at a time and then wait and wait. The really low levels aren't that different between live and Classic in terms of gameplay however, as the small amount of abilities means combat isn't exactly the most exciting thing in either. On live you get past that pretty quickly, but it takes a while longer in Classic (especially if you're playing solo).
      In Classic, playing different classes actually feels different in more ways than just their abilities, at least if you think about it a little. Playing a priest, you really want to find a group because that's what the class was designed for, which is both good and bad - you're stuck very slowly leveling if you're solo, emphasizing the frustration of the slow pulling, but having different classes require different gameplay can be good. If you want to play a priest you're going to have to be more social by default, just whisper the guy you see killing stuff next to you and go level together, you'll immediately have a better time of it (this part is particularly exacerbated in the beta, as there are fewer players).
      In the end, while it may be a huge cop-out, it really does come down to personal preference. Some people will simply not be able to handle the huge downtime between pulls, not being able to buy a new skill rank because you spent all your money on food and drinks (mages were popular for a reason back then), the very slow pace of leveling, and a whole lot more frustrations and not user-friendly features. On the other hand, the experience really is significantly different enough from modern WoW that it does feel enough like a "new" game, or at least a new and different expansion. An expansion that has many more differences than the last 3 or so, something that's both new and old and familiar. And, yes, it also offers massive quantities of nostalgia for those of us that played Vanilla, but what's so wrong about that?

After the first 2, I actually forgot to take more screenshots, so here's Stan barely being able to afford skills because of his nasty water addiction.
      A simple truth
      The simple truth behind all of this bickering and squabbling is that there really isn't a bad way to enjoy a game. You like the feeling of Classic taking you back to your young(er) days and that rush of falling in love with WoW for the first time? You like the slower pace of both combat and leveling? You like that the social aspects of the game take a front seat? Good, enjoy it! You prefer modern WoW and BfA with it's tons of improvements, smoother design and more player-friendly features? Great, enjoy it! It doesn't matter whether you prefer modern WoW or Classic or WotLK or whichever your personal high-point was (it was Burning Crusade and Legion for me), you're not wrong. You literally can't be. No matter what anyone says in all these heated discussions, they care about WoW, in whatever form they prefer it. So why can't this be enough of a commonality for us to have a civil discourse?
      I wanted to talk more about Classic here and my experience with it, especially relating to my Vanilla days, but somehow I kept writing about this rift that's forming in the WoW community. I can't seem to shake it, and for all the many, MANY times WoW was diagnosed as "dying" (and never did/never will), this one actually worries me. Some people have worried that Classic servers will split the community because BfA and Classic can't play together and few people will have the time to play both, but I'm worried it will REALLY split the community on a more philosophical level. At the moment WoW is back to being the most watched game on Twitch, beating out Fortnite and the rest, so shouldn't this be a happy moment for all of us that care about the game? Regardless of whether you enjoy BfA, or are holding on for the next expansion to fix things, or can't wait for Classic, can we at least TRY to keep things civil? We can disagree all day long, and I'm the first to put my opinions out there, but just don't accuse people of being... whatever it is you think they are. Argue facts, discuss calmly (or well, at least try to), and if you see the other person isn't doing the same, just politely stop talking to them. It's that simple.
      Next time I'll hopefully be talking more about the game itself than the narrative around it, but until then: enjoy what you enjoy and don't get sucked in to discussions about how you're wrong to do so.
      What is Classic really like and why is it causing such a rift in the WoW community?