FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
TheBZA

Above Paragon level 397 (when you have 50 Core points), is Movement Speed on boots always sub-optimal?

The cap on Movement Speed bonus (excluding bonuses from certain sources) is +25%, which costs 50 Paragon points. The Movement Speed affix on boots (or any other item) is worth 24 Paragon points at most (+12%), which in turn is worth 120 Intelligence, 120 Vitality, or 96 Maximum Mana. All of those options are surpassed in value by almost any other roll on the boots besides Movement Speed, I think including Regenerates Life, by a mile. Discuss?

Edited by TheBZA
  • Haha 1

I don't understand the Laugh reaction. Either it's false and I would like to know why, or it's true but all the guides on this web site recommend it for some reason. Because of the source I suspect it's the first one, but I don't get it.

It doesn't matter because primary stat and movement speed have the same value for all builds, right? Primary versus Vitality is a different question, and LPT may be different for some classes or builds.

Sorry for the late reaction.

TL;DR Yes.
For most builds, you want Spender damage % (the one that makes the most of the overal damage) and primary stat on the boots (STR/DEX/INT) first. After that only toughness stats remain. And while you can paragon for more Vitality, or movement speed (to the 25% cap from gears and passive effects), you can't paragon for any more All Resistance or Armor after the 800 point. Primary stats feed into one of them (STR/DEX->Armor, INT->Resistance), In the end, you ideally have Primary, Vitality, Armor/All resistance(Whichever you have the lower % of, for rule of thumb its Armor for Intelligence classes and All resistance for others), And 15% Spender damage.

The other Notable item with +movement speed is The Compass Rose, and it's even clearer that movement speed is sub optimal if you can paragon for it: Naturally it rolls a minimum of 416 Primary stats and a maximum of 12% movement speed. IF you must choose which one you want to reroll for a more beneficial Stat (CritC/CritD/RCR/CDR), you would lose at least 296 Primary stat if you reroll the primary Stat.

Yeah that's exactly correct and clear as day. It is best to roll another primary and do the movement speed with paragon. I like 25% movement speed and that's the cheapest way to get it. Every piece of gear is at least lvl 70 I'd imagine which means it can give you the important stats at way higher levels than 120 vitality or 120 of your main stat you spend on a boots or rings worth of a movement speed.  You always want all of the stats to suit your build, if you have that,  They will all be more valuable to your build than movement speed. Maybe it beats cooldown if you don't have much of a cooldown build. Or resource cost if you have a primary build. But if you get stuck with a stat useless enough to you that movement speed is better for your build, you are likely going to get a better one soon. 

You always want the very often used compass rose and your boots, and anything else you may use that has movement speed, to roll perfectly so you can change movement speed.  It costs 250  vitality/dex/str/int for full movement in paragon. You can get 1000 of that on your rolls for just a ring and a boot. Or other stats you can't add more paragon too. Like 1000 ish armour, or any mix of important rolls. 
I agree with the guy above me about which stats you want on boots.  The ring should be socket, main stat and crits, and users choice 5th primary. I also agree with the one who said some builds don't need movement speed at all. But I always max it anyway, Id think about that if I have one of those builds maxed and want to try harder.